DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommend Me Some Shoes

3K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  racer21 
#1 ·
Since I got a 'new' set of stock 17" steel rims and am painting them black, I'm gonna need a new set of shoes for the Sport Beast.

Now, I don't know what happened but the price of tires has skyrocketed. So I need a recomendation of some good mud or A/T (like Maxxis Bighorns, NOT BFG A/Ts) tires that aren't 1000 dollars a set. I'm sure there are some 'off' brands that are as good or close to name brands that are cheaper (or maybe not). I bought my Maxxis Buckshots because they were 600 bucks a set compared to BFG Mud Terrains at 800 to 900 and the Maxxis Mudders are a darn good tire. Unfortunately, they're no longer cheap like they were. :(

I'm looking preferably for a 285/70/R17 size or standard similar (33X10.5R17?).

Thanks in advance!!!! :dtrocks:

#2 ·
I would start off looking for round ones. I think round tires work best.... I have had lots of luck with BFG MT or the Commercial tires I am currently running. Dad got a set of Bigfoots from a Big O tire, not sure what "model" pretty aggressive all terrain and still has a little less than 1/4 tread after 70,000+ miles 99% highway. No flats on any of the BFG or the Bigfoots.

#3 · (Edited)
I would start off looking for round ones. I think round tires work best....
You sure? I heard those those octangle tires are killer in the mud. Octangle in the new round. :thatfunny

I have had lots of luck with BFG MT or the Commercial tires I am currently running. Dad got a set of Bigfoots from a Big O tire, not sure what "model" pretty aggressive all terrain and still has a little less than 1/4 tread after 70,000+ miles 99% highway. No flats on any of the BFG or the Bigfoots.
Nice! I'll look up them Bigfoots.

The cheapest I found the BFGs was around 240 per tire. That's 1000 dollars worth of tires! O_O

EDIT: I just looked up the Bigfoots. They are 250 per tire in the 285 size. :bawl: :WHA:

WhyTF did tires become so pricy?

#7 ·
How are they in the slop? My truck's a lifted single-cab short-bed short-wheelbase. It's a play truck it aint for work. ;)

#5 ·
Cant say enough good things about the Toyo MT's, however they are more on the pricey side. I good alternitive to them though would be the Cooper Discoverer STT's. They have a very similar tread pattern to the Toyo's but a better price.

#18 ·
When I saw shopping for winter tires I almost got toyo's but EVERY BODY AND THERE MOTHER RUN'S THEM!!! I shop craigslist for a little while and found a set of 255/85/16 bfg mk2's for 500 bucks. I picked them up for 400. They sill had the nipples on the side wall when I got them.

#6 ·
I'll give the coopers a look! Thanks, maxxram! :)

#9 ·
I gave 'em a look and found them in the size I want for a MERE 189 dollars a piece. Shoot, 800 dollars in tires is better than 1000 dollars in tires! best I've found so far and the tread pattern is pretty nice. I'm going to read a few reviews of them and see what people think of them.

Thanks!

#13 ·
You're not the first one to de-recommend those tires. ;)

#12 ·
I run Kelly Safari Trex. Not sure on off road, but they do great in heavy rains/puddles on the road. They are 285/70/17s

#14 ·
What about Dayton Timberline M/Ts? They're supposed to be a rebadged Firestone Destination M/T but cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with these?

#16 ·
I wonder how the longevity of a retread is. I see 18 wheeler treads all over the highway (granted they drive 20,000 miles in a month but still...).

#34 ·
in my research into buying these, It was proven that most of those tire shreds on the highway are virgin tires not retreads....

Treadwright back their tires with a 2/24,000 mile warranty and rates the tires as 40,000-60,000 Miles. that along with the positive reviews in 4 wheel and off road magazine, and other buyers made me make the purchase of these

Should be here tomorrow!

#17 ·
Look at the bright side, you have 2 less tires to buy than I do lol

#20 ·
#21 ·
I use Liberators from WalMart, they are pretty good and inexpensive.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm gonna let you guys on a little secret....our wonderful government, in its audacious logic...eerrrrrr lunacy, decided to whack the tire companies who import most of thier tires (which is pretty much everybody) with a BIG tariff. The (twisted) logic is that the tariff is supposed to force said corporations to produce tires at home. But the coporate folks simply bent us over and passed the costs to us, then thumbed thier noses at our government. So much for "hope!"
It especially hits tires made in the far east (because China makes a lot of them) and Mexico, who produces most of Intercos (Swampers, Boggers) tires. But even US built tires went up...after all, why settle for a profit if you can make a killing!
SO you can thank your current administration, especially Congress for this.

NOW...to answer the second of OP's questions, I have found the Durango brand of tires sold by Pep Boys to be an excellent tire. These are made for them by Cooper. I have been VERY pleased with my Dakota M/Ts both on and off road.
Two disadvantages to record...like most mud tires, they do not work well on ice, and second, Pep Boys service tends to be erratic depending on which store you trade with.

#29 ·
I'm gonna let you guys on a little secret....our wonderful government, in its audacious logic...eerrrrrr lunacy, decided to whack the tire companies who import most of thier tires (which is pretty much everybody) with a BIG tariff. The (twisted) logic is that the tariff is supposed to force said coperations to produce tires at home. But sadly, the coporate folks bent us over and passed the costs to us and thumbed thier noses at our government.
It especially hits tires made in the far east (because China makes a lot of them) and Mexico, who produces most of Intercos (Swampers, Boggers) tires. But even US built tires went up...after all, why settle for a profit if you can make a killing!
SO you can thank your current administration, especially Congress for this.
Change we can believe in!

NOW...to answer the second of OP's questions, I have found the Durango brand of tires sold by Pep Boys to be an excellent tire. These are made for them by Cooper. I have been VERY pleased with my Dakota M/Ts both on and off road.
Two disadvantages to record...like most mud tires, they do not work well on ice, and second, Pep Boys service tends to be erratic depending on which store you trade with.
Cool! I'll give 'em a look! And yes, most of the Pepboys employees and even management don't know a tire from a windshield wiper blade.

#24 ·
No, but others who read the thread might have that concern :) And speaking of ice I should note that the M/Ts are molded with stud holes.

#26 ·
I won't/don't do business with Firestone.

#31 · (Edited)
Its nothing personal...

Thier tires are way overpriced, and the quality of thier mostly imported moldings are pretty crappy.
I don't pay to support racing teams, or big advertising budgets...'nuff said.
Employees and service managers are paid to sell labor, and so when they get you (and your car) on the rack its amazing what they can find wrong. And they don't want to let you have your vehicle back until its fixed.

I used to know a store full of nice guys too...and I have to say they would make the average Pep Boys shop look like a 3 ring circus. But the quality of tire for the price forces me to put up with the dog and pony show and the confused ringmasters.

#32 ·
Fair enough. :)

#35 ·
moparman2k2 I will me interested what you think of the Treadwright, tires.
I am also in need for new tires once the white stuff starts to fall.

#36 ·
I have run The dayton Timberline M/T tires once. They were a pretty good tire. Didn't get near the mileage out of them that I get out of the BFG A/Ts though. Then again, not too much compares to getting 80,000+ out of a set of truck tires. I will happily pay the extra couple hundred bucks to get twice the mileage.
That's just my opinion though.

#37 ·
that's why I love BFG's! got 70k on my last set... I don't expect that mileage out of retreads but the funds were tight this time

#42 ·
Mastercraft Courser C/T are pretty good tires.
Ive got almost 30,000 miles on mine and they have only been balanced and rotated twice and they have worn almost perfect. On the road they are kinda noisy to be an A/T, i was very surprised. They go excellent in mud, loose rocks, snow and ice. i cant say anything for sand performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.