DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4wd sqeaks! Just started in snow?

631 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Remodeler 
#1 ·
Hey, anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas? Just this weekend the east coast was hit with a ton of snow. Driving my 98 1500 360 4x4 on snow covered/icy/slushy roads in 4wd hi at 30mph or less for about 4 miles I started to hear a squeaking noise that reminded me of a serpentine belt squeak. When I take it out of 4wd it stops. It only makes the sound when I am rolling in 4wd. The sound is definately coming from underneath the truck from driver's seat forward. I'm thinking u-joints at the wheels, maybe front driveshaft, or possibly:ugh transfer case. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Probably axle shaft joints, possibly front drive shaft joints.

#3 ·
I would try getting under there and greasing any the universals and the drive shafts and see if it still does it.

#5 ·
Chek them

you definitely need to check them i broke an axle shaft yesterday at the mall last min christmas shopping the u joint binded up and broke. i just replaced them about 4 months ago i was pissed:mad:

#6 ·
Mine is making this same sound, It doesnt seem to be that as much as like a seal squeeling. Mine will do it no tmoving in gear if you give it gas and load it up.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for your info. I was and still am hoping the u-joints will be the culprit. Didn't know right off if the u-joints spun at all times even in 2hi but makes since for them only to turn when the 4wd motor has the axles locked in. I understand on the OEM u-joints, you don't get as good of a warranty as after market or sometimes you can find a reenginered problem solver part that has been fixed from OEM misdesign. I used to sell autoparts and really like the Federal Mogul Precision u-joints. They come with a lifetime warranty and most of the time have the grease fitting when OEM doesn't. My squeak did sound more like a dry bearing crying out so I think Ill start there. Thanks:gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.