DodgeTalk Forum banner

96 v10 thermostat housing discontinued

12K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  guyonearth 
#1 ·
Hey gang. Just wondering where everyone goes for the thermostat housing for a 96 v10? Mopar 5300 6047 is the part number. Every site I hit says discontinued. I cant imagine that if my housing was to be ruined the entire truck is now useless? Dealer is closed so haven't checked them yet so hoping (kinda) they may have access to a ridiculously priced one. Thought i would ask here though. Must be someone out there that makes em. Thanks ahead.
D

#3 ·
Thanks for the link. And fir the record if it was "a metal part that will never break anyways" i wouldn't gibe a shit about finding another one. Unfortunately the geniuses that designed it made it plastic, so it can in fact quite easily break. Hence the search for a replacement.
As for selling only 12, your knowledge of sales is as solid as your knowledge of the engine it self.

#4 ·
All the images I've seen show a metal part. And while I was being facetious about them selling 12, it's a rare engine around here. I live in a metro area of ~2 million people, and there's only a couple available in salvage, and I'd have to drive an hour to see the nearest one. This leads me to assume they didn't sell a lot of these.

#5 ·
Right. All the REPLACEMENTS are metal. Because the stock are plastic. And just because you have to drive from your little speck on earth an hour to see another one of these doesn't mean that the rest of the world doesn't have more than a few around. On top of that if you don't own one you don't have any idea about the parts why are you even commenting? Less than helpful.

#7 ·
Steve. Ill try to keep in mind how fragile your feelings you are so i dont hurt them in future posts. Didn't think pointing out that someone commenting, who doesn't know what they are talking about is not helpful, was so horrible it warranted someone coming to his rescue. You're a true hero in a world of not very harsh comments. I commend you and your keyboard warriors spirit! Stay gold ponyboy!
Id say sorry but im not really. Thanks for chiming in with more unhelpful literature. Top notch mate.
???

#8 ·
Daz is wrong himself, which is what makes his hostility so ironic. His '96 has a plastic housing, but later ones were metal. The OEM part number is a metal part, which appeared on later production and superseded the early part number. His complaining about not being able to find one is understandable, but his understanding of how production numbers relate to parts being stocked is lacking. Given that the engine went out of production in 2003, which is 16 years ago, and was only produced in relatively small numbers of a few thousand annually, it's not surprising that this part was discontinued fairly early, and why nobody in the aftermarket is interested in reproducing it. Given that I could only locate two salvage and one rebuilt engine in stock within 75 miles of a major metropolitan area makes it about as likely he's going to find a used one that's usable as I'm likely to find a Tucker 48 in my back yard.

#9 · (Edited)
Upon looking at the part some more, it would be fairly easy for someone with a little skill to replicate this with plate steel stock, especially if one was willing to pay a machine shop to laser cut or waterjet cut out the base plate. I've fabricated similar parts for old machines where no spares were available.

UPDATE: Apparently someone is selling billet replacements. Bet they're expensive, though.
All Dodge Truck Recycling 916-635-7602

https://imageappky.car-part.com/ima...uck 2500 Series Thermostat Housing-Stock# 404

#12 ·
Hey gang. Just wondering where everyone goes for the thermostat housing for a 96 v10? Mopar 5300 6047 is the part number. Every site I hit says discontinued. I cant imagine that if my housing was to be ruined the entire truck is now useless? Dealer is closed so haven't checked them yet so hoping (kinda) they may have access to a ridiculously priced one. Thought i would ask here though. Must be someone out there that makes em. Thanks ahead.
D
did you ever find one , I need on

#15 ·
Thank you , dont know why they wont ship to Florida
Helen
Ebay has a number of listings. There's a company that makes a billet replacement for this part as well. The OEM parts are rare as hen's teeth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.