Time or Inertia Activated Brake Controller? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 16 Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
BrandonSC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Time or Inertia Activated Brake Controller?

I already know virtually all of you are going to say Inertia activated is better, and I agree. But I'm not crazy about having this hanging down around my knees while I'm driving. I like the way this one looks, and I have a perfect spot for it. I can't mount it almost verticle but only because its time activated. My real question is am I going to regret buying a time activated on? I'll be pulling a 7500 lb boat.

http://www.reeseprod.com/prodphoto/83502.jpg

FOLLOW ME @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
BrandonSC

(Thread Starter)
No thoughts?

FOLLOW ME @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
post #3 of 16 Old 04-14-2007, 08:22 AM
wera176

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSC
No thoughts?

You already know what we are going to say!

That controller would be better than no controller to say the least, and probably would do the job fine. But I would still consider the inertia activated one.

I have the Prodigy and mounted it in the little "shelf" cubby hole in the middle of the dash below the a/c controls. Just drilled a small hole in the back of the shelf and ran the wires though there (only had connectors on one end). Then I plan to use double sided velcro to hold it place, but that is probably not needed. The reasons I did it there are similiar to you, I didn't want it down at my knees and I can easily use the manual activation lever without looking for it, it's right there. Plus I can (and do) take it out when I'm not using it. The only draw back is that is usually where I put my cell phone and they say to keep cell phones 12" away. I can live with that, though! Well, that and I had to tear the dash apart a little, but that wasn't too bad...

If my description is not good enough, I can probably take a pic or two...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Kerstenp
Resident Canadian, eh

I've got mine mounted right above my right knee on the bottom of dash, and it's not in the way at all. It's been mounted there for 3 years and it's never been hit by my knee. I had it mounted temporarily in the cubby, just to test it out, and I didn't like the display constantly changing when ever I used the brakes. Seems pretty distracting.
Just use some 2 sided tape and temporarily place the controller in different spots before you actually mount it.

Kersten
2004.5 3500 SLT 4X4 Quad Cab, SWB CTD
Kore Chase, Kore Race Steering Damper, Yokohama AT 315/70/17, H2 Wheels, Rhino Liner, DRC Lightbar, KC 8" offroad lights, Sirius, Tekonsha Prodigy, Hi-Lift Extreme. Powertank

post #5 of 16 Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 AM
jhkingsr

Get a Prodigy and mount it like Kerstenp describes. Best set up there is and you won't regret it.

06 1500 QC SB 4X4 4.7 Auto
post #6 of 16 Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
reindeerman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had a Prodigy (Inertia activated) for going on six years now I am well satisfied. I bought my last truck used last year and it had a Voyager (Proportional Brake Control) installed. I removed the Prodigy from my old truck and installed it in the newer one because I will be doing most of my towing with the newer truck. I put the Voyager in my old truck so it would still be equipped for towing if needed. I have had one occasion to use the old truck with trailer since. I now realize how much better the inertia Prodigy is. Night & Day – much smoother and easier to adjust.

I did a custom install of the brake controller in the dash of my Ram. I sunk it into the dash on the left side. I was installing with the “pocket” mount. The controller can be removed when not in use.

It is a pain to install this way but there are advantages. Good vision of the indicator readout and easy access to the manual lever and adjustment controls. I do not have a problem with the controller sticking out and being in the way. The time to sink it as deep as possible into the dash helped here. I can also still use the center cubby for my cell phone this way.

Pictures attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash pocket mount.jpg (48.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg prodigy in dash.jpg (60.6 KB, 144 views)

Of Course they Fly! Grab Life by the Antlers
post #7 of 16 Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
dachman1

Since you have an 06, mount it like mine... and this way you can buy the best/safest controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller.jpg (91.1 KB, 125 views)

06 2500 4x4 CTD QC LWB Big Horn-SLT

- Current Mods -
35x12.5-17 Mickey Thompson MTZ Tires, 17x9 Moto Metal 951 Wheels, 6" Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Bushwacker Extend-A-Flare's, Mopar Black Step Bars, Fender Liners, Prodigy Brake Controller, Defiant Dual Steering Stabilizer and Front Diff Skid Plate, Line-X, BullyDog Outlook Monitor, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar.

- Computer Enabled Options -
Fog's on w/ High's, High Idle, Power Off Delay, Max Tire Size Setting

Recommended Local Shop - Source Automotive, Gladstone, OR

post #8 of 16 Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
JeffB2002

Send a message via AIM to JeffB2002 Send a message via MSN to JeffB2002 Send a message via Yahoo to JeffB2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeerman
I have had a Prodigy (Inertia activated) for going on six years now I am well satisfied. I bought my last truck used last year and it had a Voyager (Proportional Brake Control) installed. I removed the Prodigy from my old truck and installed it in the newer one because I will be doing most of my towing with the newer truck. I put the Voyager in my old truck so it would still be equipped for towing if needed. I have had one occasion to use the old truck with trailer since. I now realize how much better the inertia Prodigy is. Night & Day – much smoother and easier to adjust.

I did a custom install of the brake controller in the dash of my Ram. I sunk it into the dash on the left side. I was installing with the “pocket” mount. The controller can be removed when not in use.

It is a pain to install this way but there are advantages. Good vision of the indicator readout and easy access to the manual lever and adjustment controls. I do not have a problem with the controller sticking out and being in the way. The time to sink it as deep as possible into the dash helped here. I can also still use the center cubby for my cell phone this way.

Pictures attached.
I also have a Voyager, The Prodigy is that much better??

Jeff
post #9 of 16 Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 PM
reindeerman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I think the Prodigy is much better and I have both.

Of Course they Fly! Grab Life by the Antlers
post #10 of 16 Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 AM
duso02

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Valley Odyssey is just as good, if not better then Prodigy, (works same way just more features), and can be mounted vertically.

LOU

2011 Blue Ram Sport QC HEMI 4x4

Military Truck Club Member #16

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies,
the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any
group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States
Marine Corps!"-- Eleanor Roosevelt
post #11 of 16 Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
dachman1

I ran across this article where they tested several controllers and listed their opinions. It's a good read.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c...e_controllers/

- Current Mods -
35x12.5-17 Mickey Thompson MTZ Tires, 17x9 Moto Metal 951 Wheels, 6" Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Bushwacker Extend-A-Flare's, Mopar Black Step Bars, Fender Liners, Prodigy Brake Controller, Defiant Dual Steering Stabilizer and Front Diff Skid Plate, Line-X, BullyDog Outlook Monitor, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar.

post #12 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 05:23 PM
ohioviper

Dachman1 how is that setup working for you ? I just put my prodigy in exactly the same place. I was wondering if its within the proper angle ?0-70 degrees.

Flame red 2006 Ram 2500 CTD Big Horn QC 4X4
Old truck White 2005 1500 QC 4X4 ST4.7 Auto dog
2008 Avenger RT wifes ride.

BIG HORN MEMBER #8
post #13 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
dachman1

Mine works perfect. Absolutely no complaints. By putting it in the dash, it basically makes it level. It is just sitting in there, nothing actually fixed or screwed in. But it's never moved. The shape of the controller let's you sort of squish it into place gently.

I can take better (clearer) pics of someone needs.

Plus it's a great place for visibility or manual hand controls.

- Current Mods -

post #14 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
ohioviper

Yea mine sets in there snug .Never used any screws or anything, just kinda smushed in there.The rubber mat holds it good.I see you are running a lift and with a Prodigy you must be towing. What kind of drop are you using on your shank for the hitch ? I'm all stock only 850 miles so far on clock. But I am thinking sometime down the road maybe 6" lift and 35s. How would you rate the towing after the lift ?

Flame red 2006 Ram 2500 CTD Big Horn QC 4X4
Old truck White 2005 1500 QC 4X4 ST4.7 Auto dog
2008 Avenger RT wifes ride.

BIG HORN MEMBER #8
post #15 of 16 Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
mojoman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have mine here and it is great, it look like that it will hit my knee but it don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 354227.jpg (39.7 KB, 60 views)

2016 2500 CC 6.4L w/ 4.10 gears SLT 4x4/Spray Bedliner/Big Horn Edition/Westin Step Bar/Front Tinted Windows/Bakflip Bed Cover/AMP Bed Step/Tailgate Assist

Dodgetalk.com 345 Entusiast Member #23
Member #109 "The Red Truck Club"

God Squad 1979 to Enternity
Preacher of the Gospel
Acts 3:19

post #16 of 16 Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM
dachman1

ohioviper: Here is a link to the shank I bought. Fortunately this place is local for me. But their prices were much better than Camping World or any other local place for that matter. Apparently, they most do Internet Sales though...

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newsto...6A0424F7293496

I did the lift last fall and haven't had that much opportunity yet to really judge the amount of loss. I'm sure I'll be able to give a much more educated answer after all the trips we have planned this summer. All in all, I would say I definitely lost some torque with the bigger tires. But it's pretty relative for me. The Cummins has so much to begin with, that it was acceptable to loose a little from tires and a lift. I have a 26' Travel Trailer, so it's not super heavy like some of the 5th Wheels or loaded Toy Haulers out there. But I guess the best question is would I do it all over again? YES. For me, towing was only one portion of it's use. Last week it got to Bushwack off road, and drive up in the snow. For both of these uses, the lift and tires were awesome. Another way of looking at it is that before this truck, we pulled our trailer with a 2003 F150 Supercrew. The Dodge is a TON stronger in pulling even with the lift.
I hope this helps?

- Current Mods -

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in