Door droop... what to do? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Ray Bell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Door droop... what to do?

The driver's door of my '87 B350 is drooping badly. It's wearing away both the striker pin in the door jamb and the guide on the latch mechanism. And maybe other things I can't see.

Is this common?

Is there a fix?

I'm thinking of putting the floor jack under the back of it when nearly closed, with timber to spread the load of course, and putting a load under it to force it back up. But I wonder whether this will just put a dent in the part of the door where the hinge is bolted on which will then just pop out again.

Any experiences among other owners out there?

Any suggestions... all would be appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
post #3 of 7 Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Ray Bell

(Thread Starter)
That's interesting...

I never thought of actual wear in the hinges, I'll have a look tomorrow when it's daylight and see if that's likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-30-2019, 07:28 PM
aircommuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hinge wear

A small amount of wear at the hinge is a large amount on the far edge of the door where the strike is located. The lower bolts on the hinge need to be loosened and the door raised to proper height and tightened.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Ray Bell

(Thread Starter)
I guess you mean the bolts in the door pillar?

I'll have a look at that. Thank you.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-30-2019, 07:51 PM
aircommuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes they are slotted
post #7 of 7 Old 08-18-2019, 12:22 PM
blasirl

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
The driver's door of my '87 B350 is drooping badly. It's wearing away both the striker pin in the door jamb and the guide on the latch mechanism. And maybe other things I can't see.

Is this common?

Is there a fix?

I'm thinking of putting the floor jack under the back of it when nearly closed, with timber to spread the load of course, and putting a load under it to force it back up. But I wonder whether this will just put a dent in the part of the door where the hinge is bolted on which will then just pop out again.

Any experiences among other owners out there?

Any suggestions... all would be appreciated.
I have an old AMC that the doors sagged really bad. I rebuilt the hinges with new bushings and pins and they operate like brand new now. Hardest part was getting the door back on and aligned properly. My doors were very long and heavy and required a door dolly to get them back on correctly.

Before you take them off to rebuild the hinges, try and figure out a way to support the door while open so you can put the hinges back on. I would mark the hinges where they are now if you think they are still in the same place as when the door worked.

Good Luck

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Pedestal Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam, Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights, splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstein Sport Struts, UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in