DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

are all link arms created equal?

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  spun360 
#1 ·
i ask because most things have been replaced or are under construction. i'm rebuilding quite a lot right now. my 1500 truck has 8800gvw springs in it for a 2" lift. are 25/3500 link arms any heavyer or longer. if i order new poly lined links should i order for a 2500?

#2 ·
Are you referring to control arms. If so it would not hurt to go with a poly bushing.

#3 ·
from where i come from the independant front suspension have upper and lower controle arms. i understand that this ram suspension is like a 4 link suspension. if i'm not mistaken. but anyway the question was are 25/3500s any diff?

#4 ·
They are not any different in stock configuration. They are commonly called control arms and you are right also, IFS also has control arms or a-arms.

#5 ·
thank you. to loose those oe links and those cam bolts; is that a bad thing?

#6 ·
You need the cam bolts for sure for an on road driver. To replace the OE control arms with aftermarket is a great idea, as all I have seen are either square or round tube so the y do not have the flared bottom and thusly will give you more room to run a decent BS on your wheel without rubbing the control arm at full lock.

#7 ·
so i loose the stamp steel links for a less profile link. it makes room for wider tires! that's all the more reason to swap out/ wheather the bushings are bad or not. with after market links i will not need the cam/ adjuster bolts correct???

#8 ·
You WILL need the cam bolts. :D

#10 ·
Unless you use your truck for 80% off road and 20% or less street I would stick with control arms that utilize polyurethane bushings and NOT hiem joints. Judging by the picture I saw of your truck you use it as a work truck, so get some nice control arms with poly bushings and keep the cam bolts.

FYI, I have found that many times the came bolts are frozen into the bushing sleeves and they have to be cut off, so make sure your dealer has them in stock.

#11 ·
i was hoping to uncomplicate the link arms. take the adjustability out. maybe a bad idea. how off could it become?

#13 ·
i am considering the adjustable links. will i want the adjustability on the top link? to make the pinion angle correct, they will lengthen and prob put the axle nicely in the center of the wheel well. poly bushings as opposed to oe rubber; will it actually make the ride that much stiffer to loose the cam bolts?

#14 ·
#15 ·
olyelr, that site might be too deep for me though it does get me to thinking. not so sure alu links are a good idea. could a link be adjusted on the vehicle if: the link tube had rt hand threads and lft hand threads on either end& jam nuts to secure them? other wise if i had bds links i would need to adjust by trial and error, assembly and dis, just to spin one side for lenght. bad idea to rely on jamb nuts maybe? the track bars do it!

#16 ·
I personally think that having the setup you describe is ideal, LH/RH threads and jamb nuts and those adjustable poly bushing rod ends are seriously nice. I like them so much I may look into putting them onto my current Fabtech arms!

#17 ·
i only saw alu link rods in balistic. and i only saw rh threads in ballistic. who makes links w/ both rh & lh threads which can be adjusted on the vehicle. i have some pipe threading experience and wonder if these parts could easily be fabed up?

#18 ·
The link that was posted is for 4140 steel and the come in RH and LH.

#19 ·
The tube would need to be threaded in RH and LH also but that would be sweet. I have the Rock Krawler arms and wish they would have done that so you would have not have to take off and on to adjust.

#20 ·
so i have some STEEL thick wall pipe threaded out, have hex sides ground into the ends and make the finish- bottomed out length- the size of the oe, eye to eye. paint garnish and serve

#21 ·
2.63" wide is near 2 5/8ths. how wide is the oe joint?

#22 ·
well found some on EBAY! ask and you shall recieve $300 for two w/ the expansion adjustability we discussed.

#23 ·
Don't post a link.:ugh

#24 ·
at ballistic fab would the 1.25" shank bushings be large enough? too large? in this application is it better to use course threads or fine?

#25 ·
found 2- 1 1/4' taps on ebay too $19. one 7tpi the other 12tpi. i'm tempted to buy these and send them down the river. anybody want to pass around a dodgetalk deal? shipping and handling only. if i knew what pipe to use. would common steel pipe from home depot be thick & strong enough? DIY

#26 ·
just an update! i have access to some rough country upper & lower adj control arms for a 2003 2500! dirt cheap. i run a 96 1500. should i get um? can i make them work? if i miss em, i'm considering the 3rd gen arms. they are boxed, not U channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.