Power Door Locks Draining Battery - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
jborfair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power Door Locks Draining Battery

1999 RAM 1500
360 4X4

I have been having a problem with my battery draining lately. I finally decided to make the time to figure it out. I OHMED the battery with the negative cable disconnected. I pulled fuses until the battery no longer ohmed out. It was the #13 10A fuse for the power door locks. I disconnected both of the cannon plugs to the switches on both doors. The battery still OHMS out with them disconnected. This means it is somewhere else in that circuit. Assuming the cannon plugs are good, where might I look to see where the short is?
Any help is appreciated!!
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
jborfair

(Thread Starter)
Scratch all that!!!!!!!!!!
It is not the power locks, it has to dp with the inertia reel for the seatbelt that is the seatback of the driver's side seat. This is on the doemlight circuit that also operates the stereo system.
I plug and unplug the fuse, I can hear something in that seatback clicking. It is right where the seatbelt goes into the seat back. Unplug the fuse, the seatbelt won't pull out from the seat.......it stays locked.
Any ideas?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
jborfair

(Thread Starter)
Testing the circuit with key off:
Draws 12.6 volts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Road Dog
Derelict

There's a seatbelt control module under the middle front seat. If it fails or the connector is loose then it powers a seatbelt solenoid, and drains the battery.

1998 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Hughes Plenum Kit
Modified kegger with shortened runners
Superchips Microtuner
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2006, 08:11 PM
QCRam

The seatbelt timer module stays on for 30 minutes after it's triggered by the ignition or the door switches, so you have to wait till after that period to tell whether it's misbehaving, but they are known to do so.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in