up graded headlight bulbs are they ok? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
bruceamatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up up graded headlight bulbs are they ok?

I have a 97 Ram 3500 I would like to upgrade to PIAA
Xtreme White light bulbs to increase night visibliity has anyone had success with this or am I inviting a possible problem with over heating the headlight housing, wiring, etc. ?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Tires

PIAA is nothing but Euro light jacked up in price. Literally. Find a set of Eurolight ultra whites. They cost about 25 bucks here in canada. PIAA here in canada for the same set of bulbs is 75-100 dollars more. All your paying for is the name, they dont last longer, nor are they brighter.

Aftermarket bulbs have never given me a problem. A guy i work with had some aftermarket bulbs that melted his headlight casings (Ford Focus), not sure what brand. Ive never had this problem and ive used a wide variety of bulbs on diffrent vehicles..
post #3 of 6 Old 11-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Freddy

I agree with Tires, the PIAA bulb is really a rip off. I have them in my truck, yes they are a bit brighter but not much.
What I would like to know is if Optilux's illegal 9004 are brighter then the legal 9004's. Anobody tried them?

2000 Dakota Club Cab
4.7 Manual shift 4x4
Orange
-Cherrybomb & 3" s/s tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM
98QuadCabV10
EPA's Worst Nightmare

I've put those high performance lights in my brothers truck (01 s10 blazer). They weren't those exact bulbs but were similar. They were suppose to be = to a 100 watt light and blue or white light I can't remember for sure. After installing them let me say I'm glad they are not mine. Can't see anything when it rains or at night. It picks up animals eyes real good though. Looking at them they look real bright and dark blue but they are not really bright.
If it's for looks get the blue or white ones but if you just want to see better get a higher watt one of the same color range. Lets say you have a 50 watt light, then don't go over 70 watts to be safe with wires. I have 100w in my car with no problems. If you afraid of melting the wires then get the highest watt you can and install a relay.

1998 Ram Quad Cab 2500 Short Bed V10 4x4
C.A.I.
Headers.
SCT Tuner
3" SRB Lift
Fast Man TB
GM Push Rods
2" Leveling Kit
1.7 Roller Rockers
Exhaust: No cats, Flowmaster 50
Best Runs
60': 2.27
1/8th: 10.23 @ 68.56 MPH
1/4: 15.93 @ 85.7 MPH
0-60: 7.9sec

V10 Ram Club #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2006, 01:08 AM
01_OffRoad

The PIAA's are a rip off. That's nutz paying that much for a light bulb. Look at the SilverStar's. Several of us are running them, they're a HUGE improvement over stock.

When you're looking around for aftermarket light bulbs, you need to look into the "temperature light output" or something along those lines. You'll see some of the lights that say "5000k" output. Others say they're "7000k" output. The 7000k, or any numerically higher rating is going to be brighter. Stay away from the bulbs with the really dark color tint on them, regardless of color.

What you need to stay away from are the true HID lights. The lights that come with their own ballast, etc. Those will melt housings in a hurry that aren't designed for them.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 PM
05SilverHemi

I have Nokya's in my truck. They are 7000k 100 watt low beams / 120 watt high beam and the difference over stock is like night and day. I believe I paid $25 for them. They have been installed for 2 years without a bulb failing yet.

In the past I had a set of the Silverstars and these blow them out of the water when comparing the two.

Here's an example, just not the exact ones. I bought mine at a local speed shop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9007-...53159118QQrdZ1
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in