99 Ram headlight question - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 11-18-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
NORTEXED

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 Ram headlight question

O.K. I'm stuck again. finally got the driving lights mounted by the P&B shop that left them off when repairing the front end after a fender bender, (Other guys fault). I'm trying to hook them up, to come on with the high beams, and the electrical on the headlights has me totally stumped. Off, all three wires into the bulb are HOT, headlights on, outer wires HOT , center wire (blue with white stripe not. High beams on, center wire HOT and red outside HOT. How do I get a wire that's only HOT to power the relay when High Beams are on???

"Are you sure I'm not too old to do that"
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-19-2006, 03:15 PM
QCRam

You don't. These are wired with the switching on the low side, so the common feed is always live. You need a relay with both sides of the coil available (4-terminal plastic cased ones are), wire one side to the blue permanently live wire, one to the red/orange stripe that goes LOW when the high beams are on
post #3 of 8 Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
NORTEXED

(Thread Starter)
The relay I'm using is a "Pilot" with 4 terminals on bottom like you describe. I assumed it would wire 1 set from power to driving lights, 1 set ground and hot on high beams. If I understand you correctly, I use the relay switching side to go to hot on headlight and wire thats not hot with high beams on headlight harness?? Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2006, 11:47 PM
QCRam

That's correct.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Mister 4x4
Too Big to Sneak

Well, not to mention that it's illegal in most if not all states to have high beams AND driving lights on at the same time.

Food for thought.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"My lugnuts require more torque than import cars can make..."
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 AM
QCRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 4x4
Well, not to mention that it's illegal in most if not all states to have high beams AND driving lights on at the same time.

Food for thought.
High beams and fog lights, which is why there's the foglamp relay in there as standard, driving lights are a separate matter.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2006, 03:54 PM
PIKL TRK 16

you have a sport correct??? with 2 bulbs per headlight??
post #8 of 8 Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
NORTEXED

(Thread Starter)
No, they are singles, not a sport.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in