Cooler spark plugs and thermostats - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
martyn321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cooler spark plugs and thermostats

Hello,

I re-call someones comment on here a long time ago that if you run a cooler thermostat, then you should not run with cooler spark plugs. Ive only seen this comment once, but wondered if anyone else had heard of this. It seems a very common mod is to either run a cooler thermostat, or cooler plugs - is there any reason why running both would make performance worse??

Edelbrock TEF headers
American thunder system
magnaflow hi flow cat
180 'stat
Mopar/K&N round filter
52mm throttle body
Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers
Bilstein HD shocks
Flash SCT
EBC discs and yellow stuff pads
Hellwig rear sway bar

What next???????? - GOT A NEW ONE!!
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 PM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
i use both. best this truck has run yet. no problems here!

parts for sale
ask about my treadwright retread experience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$150: 210lb double and dampener valve springs .550 lift
$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, standard oil pump
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM
00BananaBoat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What plugs are you running? I am running stock e3s but wonder if i should switch. I have 2.02 heads air gap intake and 50mm tb.

46re HD Rebuild, 2300 Stall T/C, Iron Ram 2.02 Heads, Edelbrock Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow Cat, Hughes Air Gap, Hipotek 53mm TB, Hemifever SCT Tune,180 Degree T-Stat, Mopar Performance Lifters, Double Roller Timing Chain, Pushrods, Trans Pan,Valve Covers, 14x3 Air Cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Woodstock
Woodstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by spun360 View Post
i use both. best this truck has run yet. no problems here!
Same here. Engine doesn't ping even on crappy winter blend gas.

2000 1500 Sport 5.9 4X4 QC 46re w/TFODjr
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SCT by hemifever, 4.10 Gears, Stainless Steel Headers
HellBent Steel leveling kit, 33X12.50X16 Super Swamper TSL Radials
1985 350 Custom Dually 360ci 4barrel 727
1990 Jeep YJ 4.2
post #5 of 11 Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
spun360

i swear. regular gas 5 yrs ago "no ethanol, option" would net 16mpg.
over this summer i was proud to get 13mpg on these current blends!
now for this cold season, it seems i suffer another mpg drop, to 11.5.
how is that beneficial to foreign dependency on oil!

parts for sale

$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #6 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 AM
lastrights

i run both no problems !

2000 dodge ram 5.9 longtube headers ,1.7 harland sharps,52mm fastman,K&N CAI,,SCT TUNED airgap FI
post #7 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM
SDave

For the most part from my experience most modern fuel injection engines run spark plugs that are about two heat ranges too hot. According to a friend of mine, this is because the EPA has set emission standards to a level that when you use the hotter plugs it will pass the emission tests. The EPA does these tailpipe emission tests at idle. The problem is when you drive the vehicle if the plugs are too hot it will cause pre-ignition. The computer will sense the pre-ignition and pull timing out of the engine. You lose both power and gas mileage as a result. There is a way to check the plugs to see if they are too hot. Take several of them out of your engine and look at the ground electrode. If it is the correct heat range plug, it will change color on the ground electrode in the CENTER of the bend. With some plugs more than others the change in color will be easier to see. That is why you want to pull more than one plug. Also if you look at the plug with a magnifying glass, there should no small black specks on the porcelan part of the plug. If there is that would indicate more pre-ignition than the computer can handle. Both a cooler thermostat (no colder than 180 degrees) and colder plugs can help and in most cases stop pre-ignition. The edges of the center electrode should be sharp. If they are rounded off and mushroom shape, they need replacing. Worn spark plugs like this will cause excessive amounts of spark knock. Which will badly retard the timing. The more worn they are the worst it can effect both power and mileage. Spark plugs with cut-back ground electrodes like Bosch Platinum +2's, etc.. normally wear the sides down flat at an angle next to the cut-back electrode(s). After replacing worn spark plugs, run some quality fuel injection cleaner in the next tank of gas. The computer has to dramatically change the timing the engine sees over the entire range of its operation. Which will cause the injectors to become dirty reducing power and mileage.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Woodstock
Woodstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by spun360 View Post
i swear. regular gas 5 yrs ago "no ethanol, option" would net 16mpg.
over this summer i was proud to get 13mpg on these current blends!
now for this cold season, it seems i suffer another mpg drop, to 11.5.
how is that beneficial to foreign dependency on oil!
New gas sucks. My boat hates ethanol not to mention the moisture magnet ethanol is during winter storage.

1990 Jeep YJ 4.2
post #9 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Ram15002ndgen
Don't Fear the Reaper

You can thank the corn farmer's lobby for that. They lobbied big time for the subsidies they get to make ethanol. It's all a big scam. It doesn't reduce oil dependency and it doesn't run any cleaner.

As far as the plugs go, my only concern would be not passing the emissions test whenever that is due. Here in Cali I have to suffer through that stupidity every two years. I dunno if it would pass with the cooler plugs and thermostat. I'll bet the truck will run better, but these butt muggers make our lives very difficult.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Woodstock
Woodstock

I would just change out the plugs back to hotter the week before the inspection. Screw those fudge packers.

1990 Jeep YJ 4.2
post #11 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 PM
spun360

my pops runs a boat. runs great on PA gas. allowed 5% water. sputters and clunks on NY gas. 10% allowable water! the marine word suffers too. more critical on those engines!

parts for sale

cheep
shoot PMs my way
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in