DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whats right for me? 2001 Ram1500

836 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JBostick 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, just joined in hopes for find some knowledge and giving some back in some areas.
About to buy a 2001 Ram 1500 Extended Cab Short bed. Its my first dodge product. Chevy fan at heart but the Silverados seem like too much work. So I was reffered to 2000 and 2001 Rams. Been hearing alot of bad things about the Auto trannys tho!
Currently Driving a '88 Camaro RS.
I'm wondering what dodge enthusiasts think would be the best setup for me.
The truck is going to be a daily driver and weekend play toy, I want it to be able to hook up to a plow and have no problems in the snow in winter time.

Just browsing and reading through other sites and forums I got an idea of what to go with but not sure if its right for me, so I turn to you for help:gr_patrio

Lift Kit w/ Dual stabilizer and 800 Shocks

LT315/75R16 (35X12.50R16)

Street Locks 16x10 w/ 4.125 BS

thought and suggestions greatly appreciated!:cool:

Oh, and for the budget lets say round about $3000 or so.
Including wheels tires and all suspension and other needed componets.

See less See more
#3 ·
Lots of 1500s plow and tow. Remember, Dodge half tons are straight axle and much beefier than chebbies up front. However, if you want more bang for buck, go 2500 but get the 360 with a 5spd to avoid any tranny issues. If you want gobs of power, the v10 is the ticket. There's several common issues on this generation truck and since there's only of few of us left on here, we've all become experts at fixing them. So ask away! I've had mine since 2001 and will never get rid of it. My 318 while slow is a beast. Just keeps running. Research:
-plenum
-track bar
-ping
-deathflash
-gears
-lifts
-steering
-brakes

and report back. Welcome and let's find you a good truck!

#4 ·
the 2500 is a heavier frame. i would plow w/ that platform and build up from there. my 1500 is a great weekend warrior and lite duty work truck! love the 360 gasser in it.

#6 ·
Umm, the cab has nothing to do with stability. If you don't want long bed but like the x-cab, you'll need to look at 98+ trucks. They will be harder to find. Most 2500s are long beds either reg. cab or x-cab.

#7 ·
I would look for a 2500 or atleast an off road edtion 1500 to get the factory 4.10 gears if you wanna run 35s

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.