Truck won't start after remote starter install - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 9 Old 11-19-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
9815004x4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Truck won't start after remote starter install

Hey guys. This is my first post here and I really need your help asap. I just tried installing a bulldog remote starter on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, and now the truck won't start at all. It will crank with the remote and with the key, but niether will start it. I really have to get this truck back on the road tonight so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM
dieselbrad
Cummins Power

Try checking the fuses on the remotes harness if you didn't already.

Brad
post #3 of 9 Old 11-19-2006, 02:29 PM
iRIDEmshBKS

Send a message via AIM to iRIDEmshBKS
i know nothing about remote start or alarm systems but i know some alarm systems have an immobilization feature, where it wont turn on the fuel pump unless you press the right buttons or something, try hitting unlock on the keypad first. just a thought. hope it helps

95 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5spd
Gutted Cat
X Pipe
Glasspack
K&N Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
9815004x4

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the replies guys. But I figured out the problem, when I was moving wires around I found a place that had rubbed through the coating on a wire and was touching a metal bracket under the dash causing it to short out. Thanks for the ideas though.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM
fergy_ss/t

Send a message via AIM to fergy_ss/t
So was the installation pretty easy? I'm thinking about putting one in, haven't looked up any yet though. Recommendations?

1998 Dodge Ram SS/T
Emerald Green
w/ Silver Stripes

Engine:
5.9L Magnum 360
Stock Bottom
Flow Kooler high-flow water pump
Mopar Performance Single Plane MPI Intake Manifold - M1 Intake
Edelbrock Shorty Headers

Suspension:
Lowered - DJM 2" coil springs, 4" hangers/shackles
Exterior:
Being redone slowly due to minor accident.

Spring rebuild:

GREEN TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #3
post #6 of 9 Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
9815004x4

(Thread Starter)
Yes the install was very easy, this is actually the second one I've put in a Ram. I put a remote starter and keyless entry system in my Grandpa's 94 Ram and it only took like 45 minutes. If it wouldn't have been for the stripped wire in mine it would have only taken about 30 minutes. All I have ever put in are bulldog security systems, they seem to work very well. They even have wire charts that tell you which wire to splice into, where it is located, and the color.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2006, 10:39 AM
offroadzj
Former Ram owner

as a professional remote start installer, bve very careful with the bull dog remote starters. I have seen some of the affects of them first hand. They are a cheap alternative, and therefore the parts that are used are cheap. DEI (ie, python, viper, valet) is a much better alternative.
Just my .02
post #8 of 9 Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
9815004x4

(Thread Starter)
what kind of problems have you seen? I know cheaper isn't always better, but you've got me curious now.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-22-2006, 07:59 PM
offroadzj
Former Ram owner

One of the ones that I've seen shorted out, and burned the entire module out. Luckily it only charred a couple wires that were around it, but things could have been a lot worse. The install was done correctly, just the unit itself shorted out internally. Others have just stopped working all together, causing the starter to remain disengaged (on their alarm versions). Other than that one, nothing was really major, but I just personally do not trust them. I live by, and will always live by Directed Electronics. Especially with the Lifetime guarantee on their python/vipers.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in