1988 dodge w150 360 swap - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Markbadhorse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1988 dodge w150 360 swap

Okay i have a buddy that has a 360 out of a 74' muddin truck and its carburated and it has points but i need a list of what i need to put it in a 1988 dodge w150 tbi 318 4wd
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 PM
txwooley

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
The biggest issue will be internal or external balance. The 360 I believe is externally balanced while your 318 is internally balanced. If that is the case then a new torque converter (if auto) will be the first obstacle.

The 360 block and 318 block are identical so the 360 will drop right in. Pull all sensors off the 318 and put them on the 360. The dizzy from the 318 should drop right in to replace the old points and condenser. You will need the TBI manifold from the 318 as well. I don't know if the computers from '88 had the ability to learn fuel curve so you might wind up with a lean condition if the computer still thinks it is only feeding 318 cubic inches and supplies fuel accordingly. That would be a question for someone else.

J.T. Wooley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-29-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Markbadhorse

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwooley View Post
The biggest issue will be internal or external balance. The 360 I believe is externally balanced while your 318 is internally balanced. If that is the case then a new torque converter (if auto) will be the first obstacle.

The 360 block and 318 block are identical so the 360 will drop right in. Pull all sensors off the 318 and put them on the 360. The dizzy from the 318 should drop right in to replace the old points and condenser. You will need the TBI manifold from the 318 as well. I don't know if the computers from '88 had the ability to learn fuel curve so you might wind up with a lean condition if the computer still thinks it is only feeding 318 cubic inches and supplies fuel accordingly. That would be a question for someone else.

Thanks for the tip but i forgot to mention i was swapping over to carb and i needed to know what i needed to swap to carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 AM
txwooley

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
No worries. The 3 biggest things will be a non-computer controlled ignition system, a fuel pressure regulator so you don't blow up your needle valves and of course an intake manifold.

Your current ignition system is controlled by the computer. You will need a purely mechanical (but not necessarily the old points and condenser) unit with flyweights and vacuum advance.

Your TBI probably requires about 15 psi to pop the injectors whereas a carburetor usually can't handle in excess of 10 psi. Set your regulator to around 7 or 8 psi and see if the carb starves under prolonged WOT. If it does, bump up the pressure a pound or 2.

The intake is pretty self explanatory, but this is a good time to grab a nice Weiand or Edelbrock dual-plane.

Depending on the height difference between the old TBI and the new carb you may run in to alignment issues with accelerator and kickdown cables requiring a little bracket massaging.

If your tranny is computer controlled (no idea on '88) you don't want to completely remove the old ECM and you will want a lot of the sensors from the 318 (again, not sure what was on a '88) such as speed sensor, crank sensor and throttle position sensor.

Hope that helps.

J.T. Wooley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Locomotion

360 takes a motor mount on one side that had a slightly different spacing to fit the block. Driver's side? I forgot which one.

Converter needs to be from a 360 which comes with small weights welded on. You can also use your neutral balanced 318 converter if you get the proper 360 LA B&M flexplate which is counterweighted.

If swapping converters around, make sure any replacements are for the same trans - lock-up converter or standard. Transmissions with lock-up converters have about 3/4" of the transmission shaft tip machined smooth. They don't interchange.

If the 360 oil pan is in good shape, you won't have to worry about it. But if not, 318 and 360 pans don't interchange because of the rear seal size.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in