CV Axles - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 3 Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
mattk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CV Axles

So my '08 Ram had the CV axles replaced by the dealer that I bought it from before I purchased the truck. Truck ran great for a couple of weeks and now I have a terrible vibration from 45-65 mph. I got under the truck and grab a hold of the axles and they are both loose as can be. Can shake them back and forth a good bit. Problem is I am 500 miles from home and wondering what to do. Can I cut them in half and take them out or do these axles seal up any grease at the diff or hubs? Not sure I want to drive it that far home with this vibration. I have a Sawzall but no tools to replace the axles with me. What to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 PM
steveinglendale

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do not cot them! They'll keep turning at the wheels and destroy anything they can reach even cause you to lose control. Best solution is get it rowed to nearst good mechanic if it cannot be carefully driven. Bite the bullet to have them removed. Have mechanic check if OK to drive w.o them installed (I think they are self contained w.o grease interface to hubs). Or, get the cheapest replacements for getting home and to the dealer. New OEM axles should last 100k or more with normal road usage.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
mattk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinglendale View Post
Do not cot them! They'll keep turning at the wheels and destroy anything they can reach even cause you to lose control. Best solution is get it rowed to nearst good mechanic if it cannot be carefully driven. Bite the bullet to have them removed. Have mechanic check if OK to drive w.o them installed (I think they are self contained w.o grease interface to hubs). Or, get the cheapest replacements for getting home and to the dealer. New OEM axles should last 100k or more with normal road usage.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get them out and new ones installed before heading home. Made it home safe and sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in