Brake rotors warped at 20k miles in 2017 ram? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
hemipower3315

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to hemipower3315
(Thread Starter)
Brake rotors warped at 20k miles in 2017 ram?

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with 20k miles on it. Its now a second vehicle for me so dont use it much. I was feeling pulsation from brake pedal so I took it in to dealership. I made mistake of getting extended warranty and Im outside normal brake warranty coverage. They want 440 to replace the front ones and another 460 for the rear. My question is how do I possibly have warped rotors at 20k miles on practically new pickup? Most of the miles were highway miles with very little stop and go city traffic. I just find it hard to believe they would go bad this quickly.

Second question, how difficult to replace myself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Performance
Diablo Predator-03 to 05 conversion-J&M big flow valve heads-BFI-dumped-
dmh cutout-ati pulley-custom overdrive pulley-jet stream scoop
Pacesetter lts-Viper efan-comp cam 260-4.56 gears-Hemiverter
Taylor Shorties-NGK spark plugs-Headman ported TB
Wideband-slotted and drilled rotors-perf brake pads-180 t stat
comp springs-6.1 pushrods-tit retainers
Exterior
roll pan-painted Calipers-Tinted tailights and 3rd brake light
Painted and Cleared headlights-PIAA super white headlight
fog light bulbs-Silverstar turn signal bulbs-shorty antenna-black
gas cap-srt10 hood-custom bumper and hood insert-22" black
rims w/ nitto tires-Doetsch 2/4 drop with Belltech Nitro Active
Shocks and bumpstops-belltech rear antisway bar-ARE tonneau
cover-shaved emblems-tint
Interior
Carbon Fiber dash kit-Pioneer avh-p6500dvd-Kenwood speakers
pioneer sound processor-Srt-10 pillar w/ wideband
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 12:21 PM
tribalone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had 69k on my 2013 before I replaced. But only drive drive it twice a week. Purchased new rotors/pads for 350.00. Not too difficult unless it's very rusty. YouTube has some good DIY videos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 08-17-2019, 10:12 AM
blasirl

Garage
Almost impossible to warp a rotor. The brake pads probably need to be bedded. Each manufacturer has a procedure for their respective models, but generically, go out to a relatively level stretch of deserted road, get up to 60 mph or so and smoothly, firmly brake back down to about 10 mph or so. Repeat this three or four times and then try and get the brakes to pulse. They should be go to go, but if your driving/braking habits are, not sure of the word here, but suffice it to say, you may need to do it a few more times.

The cause of the pulsing is an uneven layer of pad residue on your rotors. By bedding them you even it out. This transfer of pad material helps to lessen rotor wear and also to provide a "stickier" surface for the pads to grip.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Pedestal Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam, Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights, splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstein Sport Struts, UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Rinkadinc

Watch your lug nut torque. If its 85 ftlb and tyre store torques to 100 ftlb it can warp your rotors. It happened to me! If you use left foot braking , That could wear your brakes out in under 3 months or cause warpage. Maybe haard/soft spots on rotors/drums can cause uneven wear? A draging caliper,Booster,mastercylinder, residual valve keeping the pads from releasing rotor ? Check for heat in front brakes with hand in lugnut area,If blisters form ,its way too hot! Just make sure its not leftfoot itist. Yeah, watch a couple of differant u-tubes on doing rotors. I use air/electric tools, its a lot easyer. I used armstrong tools for alot of years. Make sure you use a jackstand on solid ground that wont drop vehicle on leg. If rotors dont warp easyly, Then they just got BENT ?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2019, 05:26 PM
aircommuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I went 140,000 on my rotors and they were still good, just wanted to go to drilled and slotted ones. Most warping is from people using and impact wrench on lug nuts causing uneven torque and over torque as the other person said. The job is very easy.
I have been in the repair business 54 years.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Ray Bell

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It's dead easy for them to say..."Warped rotors!" and they get a cool and easy job putting on new ones.

If they really are out of shape they should have plenty of material left on them to give them a fresh machining, that should only take 0.020" off each surface and they should still have plenty left. Brake shops would do this, I'm sure.

But overall, the advice above is mostly good. Try the bedding-in, or even go over the surfaces with emery paper/cloth first and try that, then bed in. At just 20K they should be very easy to get off and on, if you don't have the tools go buy them, you'll use them again one day.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 AM
jeffstoy

Uneven torque on lug nuts definitely will warp a rotor. Were the tires previously rotated? A lot of shops are very careless about that. I can't remember how many times I had to use a breaker bar or jump on a lug nut wrench because some tire guy went crazy with an impact wrench and one or two did not want to come off. Most don't bother with a torque wrench or a torque stick on their impact wrench. On my O7 Ram 1500 the torque spec is 135 ft lbs. Leaving a lug or two at 80 or 90 could definitely do a number on a rotor. Your owner's manual says that if you change a flat, have the lug nuts tightened to spec with a torque wrench as soon as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 08-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Philbert

Warpage due to rust

I've had 5 Rams since their intro in (I think 1995) and I also use them for a second vehicle so I don't put a ton of miles on them. Three of them have had what seems like warped rotors. (twice replaced at the dealer). The last time on my 2014 I put an indicator on the rotors and they had around .007"-.010" warp. When I went to take them off I had to use a large gear puller to get them off due to all the rust around the mating surfaces. (The dealer later told me that they use a big hammer to knock them off). When I replaced them, I put a thin layer of anti-seize on all the mating surfaces. My theory is that the warpage is coming from the rust buildup between the mating surfaces. I haven't had any issues since I started using the anti-seize. Just don't use too much, you don't want it on the braking surface.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 05:33 AM
blasirl

Garage
Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp

"Don't just drive CRUZE!" ༼∵༽ ༼⍨༽ ༼⍢༽ ༼⍤༽

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Pedestal Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam, Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights, splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstein Sport Struts, UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17 AUG18

Last edited by blasirl; 08-26-2019 at 05:34 AM. Reason: clean up link
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Ray Bell

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Very interesting, I'll make note of that information...
post #11 of 11 Old 08-28-2019, 06:16 PM
guyonearth

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I've had rotors warp in 5000 miles. It has nothing to do with the vehicle and everything to do with the quality of manufacturing. However, some warpage is inevitable.

Tags
brake bedding , warped rotor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in