post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
nocturnalsst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to nocturnalsst
(Thread Starter)
No headlights

I've been having a problem recently where i'll be driving and my headlights will just go out (but foglights stay on thankfully) and it will remain like that for random amounts of time then they will come back on.

I know its not the headlight switch because the brights still work fine. If the brights wouldnt work then that would mean the headlight switch cant tell if its set in headlight setting or marker light setting.. so it works fine on that end.

I'm thinking the problem is the high-beam switchbar, or something under the steering column. Any guesses?

so far when they go out i can beat on the bottom of the steering column and they will come back on after a few seconds usually, but that's no fix.

1998 Dodge Ram SS/T - Role Mod'l: SCT Tuned - 52mm Fastman TB - Mopar Open Element Intake - K&N Filter- Transgo TFOD JR - 180 t-stat - Magnaflow Cat + y-pipe - Thrush Glasspack - Belltech 3-4 drop
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
GFMotorsports

perhaps a bad ground????
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
splinn

The headlights are controlled by a relay that is located in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment next to the battery. I would guess that the relay contacts have gotten corroded or loose. I recommend check there first.

Let us know what the outcome is/was!!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
nocturnalsst

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinn View Post
The headlights are controlled by a relay that is located in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment next to the battery. I would guess that the relay contacts have gotten corroded or loose. I recommend check there first.

Let us know what the outcome is/was!!

Scott
I'll check that out! thanks

1998 Dodge Ram SS/T - Role Mod'l: SCT Tuned - 52mm Fastman TB - Mopar Open Element Intake - K&N Filter- Transgo TFOD JR - 180 t-stat - Magnaflow Cat + y-pipe - Thrush Glasspack - Belltech 3-4 drop
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2010, 10:39 AM
backtobasics

I am leaning towards switch.
Mine has issues, if I click to high beams, and come back to low beams. I have to click back and forth a bunch of times before it finally gives low beams back.

I wonder if the contacts within the switch on low are crusty / corroded / worn.

I plan replacing entire switch, but may not have to if something else is a more likely culprit?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
nocturnalsst

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtobasics View Post
I am leaning towards switch.
Mine has issues, if I click to high beams, and come back to low beams. I have to click back and forth a bunch of times before it finally gives low beams back.

I wonder if the contacts within the switch on low are crusty / corroded / worn.

I plan replacing entire switch, but may not have to if something else is a more likely culprit?
Thats the exact problem i'm having. Flipping between hi/low a few times will solve it usually, or i might have to beat on the bottom side of the steering column.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
D981500
D981500

I'd say it's the dimmer switch. Around $55 at Oreilley's. Had the exact same problem with mine. All better now.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in