truck idles bad and air leak - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
shaneballance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
truck idles bad and air leak

ok i got a 1996 dodge 1500 4x4 with a 5.2....when i crank it up in the morning it is about 1500 rpm as 3 mins go by it drops down to 5oo rpm,and the truck shacks like i got a bigger cam in it but i don't,my heater works good but every 5 mins it will jump to the defroster then back to the front vents.as i am in OD the truck seams to not run right like i got no spark. but when i put it to the floor it peps up and runs good,i have replaced the cap,rotor,plugs and wires,new injectors all 8 of them,new coil,,...i have 200,000 miles on the truck.i replaced the valley pan gasket also..the IAC works it goes in and out when i give it gas.i cleaned the entire intake....so do ya have any ideas

Last edited by shaneballance; 01-09-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: miss spelled
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
rich_kildow

I've been chasing what sounds like this same rough idle problem for a while now. When it happens, do you get a pretty strong sucking noise through the intake (IAC passage, specifically)? I've done the plenum, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, cat converter, rear o2 sensor. I've found that this is fixed by shutting the truck off and immediately restarting. It won't come back until the truck is shut off and allowed to cool down.

The defrost problem sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere, but they could be related. I've sprayed starting fluid along all the vacuum lines I can get to, but no change in RPM, so no vaccuum leaks.

1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 360...bone stock and it's gonna stay that way. Used to haul my 19' bass boat.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 PM
scrapguy

rich_kildow, I have 98 ram 1500 with the 360. I had the same problem with it sucking air and a rough idle. It also would loose power and buck and cough when I tried to go. I could shut the truck off and start it and it would run ok. I replaced front and rear 02 sensor's and never had the problem since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
rich_kildow

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like the upstream o2 sensor is all that is left to change before I'm just going to have to live with this.

1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 360...bone stock and it's gonna stay that way. Used to haul my 19' bass boat.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 AM
5.9_4x4

Send a message via AIM to 5.9_4x4
i had a similiar issue, but it didnt go away when i turned it off and back on again, mine was 6 cracks on the left head and 7 on the right, hope this is not your situation, just my personal experience
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 AM
DODGEPICKUP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1500rpm's on a cold start i'd say iac...o2's r ignored on a cold start or it should be...ive had the same issue as the other mentioned with both my rams...i just changed out the pre cat with a NTK o2 and the post cat o2 is less then a yr old...still does it just not as bad or if i goose it then it starts , shut her off and she idle perfect or just drive by the time i hit a block it great...have a autometer A/F on the pre o2 and the issue starts as the o2 becomes active and swings to lean....it also gets better as ambient temp's rise...now that its winter it does it more often...the crank/cam sensors are the only 2 i havent replaced..or pcm...maybe the pcm is reading the o2's before there up-to temp ? switching loop's to early ? also if i shut her off n re start it take longer for the o2 to become active on the gauge...

1999 RAM 1500SPORT QC 4X4 5.9 3.55's grrrr
360 MAGNUM POWER 165,000 MILES DYNOED 230/290 ON 35'S
1.7 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS
DIY CUT,PORTED,EPOXY FILLED KEGGER/ALUMINUM PLENUM PLATE,53MM THROTTLE BODY
JACOBS PRO STREET CD IGNITION
BOSCH DESIGN 3'S 24LBS VETTE INJECTORS
MOPAR P DOUG THORLEY TRI-Y'S
TAYLOR 8.2 THUNDERVOLT WIRE'S
EBC ROTORS N PADS,RUSSELL SS BRAKE HOSES
MARCH UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
HELL BENT STEEL 2IN SPACER/SKJ LCA
WINNDEKAR/DSS STEERING BRACE
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in