DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help needed? play in front driver side wheel

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  audiomechanic 
#1 ·
last couple days when i was driving around , i noticed that when i was in a parking lot somewhere or just turning around and i had the wheel cut hard it felt like the tires were skidding on little patches of ice and then hit the dry pavement then slip again, however their was no ice nowhere so it couldn't be ice, i jacked the front of the truck up this morning and checked the passenger side first and it was ok, no play anywhere, but when i jacked the drivers side up their was play in the wheel, the play was more left to right and little up and down, i never had no one to watch for any movement in the front end when i was doing this, could somebody help me out with this problem, their is a new track bar, passenger side wheel bearing, ball joints, u-joint replaced on the passenger side and a lower ball joint on the drivers side, also their was a wheel aligment done after all these parts were replaced a little while ago

#2 ·
double check your tie rods for side to side the top and bottom is ball joints or wheel bearings

#3 ·
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

#4 ·
this may benifit both of us mine does this too i just assumed it was normal kinda feels like your trying to turn on dry ground in 4 wheel drive?

#6 ·
You werent in 4wd were you, because if you were getting that feeling of slipping and grabbing on tight turns, its normal to have that in 4x4. Also if you have movement side to side its probably the tie rod. can always have someone move it and put your hand on the tie rod and feel it. If you think its the bearing get someone to go side to side and up and down, and put a finger in between the rotor and rotor shield, if you can feel it squeeze your finger then its probably a bearing.

#7 ·
well i had my truck put up on the lift and everything was checked out and it all seems fine, the only other option now is that it could be coming from the steering box, when i go down the road the wheel tends to want to drift a little from side too side , i'm always adjusting the steering wheel too the road, could this be were the problem is located

#8 ·
if you only get play at 1 wheel it's not going to be the gear box. Left and right play usually indicates a tie rod, while up and down is wheel bearing. I've got a loose gearbox, to check you can go under the truck and grab the input shaft and turn it with the truck off. You can see if the linkages all move in unison with the turn, or if there is movement in the shaft without the linkages moving with it

#10 ·
Depends how much your adjusting the wheel to keep it straight, these trucks with solid front axles wander anyway. A worn track bar can give a loose feeling in the steering wheel, can always put a lukes link as donnie said, never used one myself but a buddy who has one and hasnt had any problems yet.

#11 ·
well finally found the problem, needs to replace the inner tie rod end, their is alot of play in it, going to try and buy one that has a grease nipple, any suggestions on a good brand name, i want something that will last a while, something good quaility(moog. etc), would it be a wise idea too replace the outer tie rod also since it has been on the truck the same time as the inner tie rod, the mechanic told me the outer tie rod has a little small amount of play, he is suggesting too replace both

#12 ·
save yourself some money and put in lukeslinks for everything its cheap and stronger than most of the aftermarket stuff

#13 ·
X2. I Lukeslinked all of my tie rods except the driver's side (I replaced that tie rod before I found out about Lukeslinks). They are strong and if they ever get sloppy, the internals are fully rebuildable ON THE TRUCK without having to remove the joint again. It's good stuff.

http://www.lukeslink.com/

Give 'em a call. They're very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.