Weird experience on Highway - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weird experience on Highway

hey guys i had a weird experience on the highway yesterday. i let the truck warm up for about 5-6 minutes before i got on the interstate. on my way to the interstate the truck was running perfectly fine. when i got on the interstate i got up to speed to about 70 mph. i didnt mash it WOT, just let it climb gradually. after a few minutes the entire truck started shaking real bad like the tires were out of balance. so i let off completely and at that instant it stopped. i let the truck get down to 60 and everything was fine. so i got back on it to see what it would do and when i got to 70 it started shaking slightly again. then all of a sudden my CEL was flashing on and off, and the truck started pinging like a mofo. so after a few seconds of that i let off again. and it stopped. then i got back on it one more time, same CEL light flash and pinging but no shake. after this i cruised at 65 and everything was normal.

Friday and about once every few weeks my CEL light will come on, and when it gets checked, its a cylinder misfire. so i have them just clear the light and then few weeks later same story. the truck pings slightly everyday or just about about.

my dad said it was either the fuel map or spark problem. i have no idea what i should do. all this leads me to believe i need plugs and wires but my dad says that has nothing to do with my problem.

what do you guys think? sorry for such a long post, but i was trying to include every bit of info. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 AKA Clifford
Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4
Exterior: Custom PRC Premier paint, Color-Matched Bedliner Rockers, Custom Color-Matched LMC Grill, Full Debadge, Tinted Tails/RECON 3rd light/Fog Lights, Rear Lowered 1", TGC 1" Leveling Kit, Custom Painted Black Front Bumper, 17" Black XD Addict Wheels, 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers, SkyJacker Dual Steering Stabilizers, 5" Stainless Exhaust tip, 5% Tint all around, Rust Seal coated Frame & Undercarriage.
Interior: Color Matched Dash Bezel, Kenwood X-794 HU.
Performance: Gutted Cat.

Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 PM
5.9_4x4

Send a message via AIM to 5.9_4x4
do a pressure test on the cylinders to rule out cracked heads, are you losing anti freeze?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9_4x4 View Post
do a pressure test on the cylinders to rule out cracked heads, are you losing anti freeze?
no.

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4
Exterior: Custom PRC Premier paint, Color-Matched Bedliner Rockers, Custom Color-Matched LMC Grill, Full Debadge, Tinted Tails/RECON 3rd light/Fog Lights, Rear Lowered 1", TGC 1" Leveling Kit, Custom Painted Black Front Bumper, 17" Black XD Addict Wheels, 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers, SkyJacker Dual Steering Stabilizers, 5" Stainless Exhaust tip, 5% Tint all around, Rust Seal coated Frame & Undercarriage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
reddot
I WISH I WAS GREEN

I had issues along them lines and it was a really bad spark plug. I needed a tune up anyways so I did that and no issues since. You should at least pull the spark plugs out to look at em. thats free.

*Dark Nite*
2006 Ram 2500 CTD 4X4 QCSB Big Horn Black
Smarty Sr PoD-Pioneer P5000DVD-WeatherTech floor liners-Nerf Bars-LED tails and 3rd-Rok-Tek Grill-S&B Intake w/scoop-Isspro Performax gauges EGT, boost, trans temp, rail, fuel-Duel column mount pod-tri a-pillar pod mount-ATS intake horn-Cat delete-5in black chrome tip-roll up bed cover
*PROJECT HIATUS*
1998 Ram 1500 4X4 ECSB 360ci Magnum V8
K&N intake-PaceSetter LT header with custom 3in exhaust-Fiberglass 3in cowl hood-Open mouth grill-one peice Euro head light-LED tail lights-Bushwacker Extend-a-fender flares-Ram head gas door cover-Access roll up cover-Bully tailgate lock-5in Skyjacker lift-1in topguncustomz coil spacer-Skyjacker duel steering stabilizers-BD Diesel Steering box brace-37in ProComp Xterrain tires-16x10 ProComp rims-ProComps lug nuts-Painted interior-underdash LEDs-Reverse glow gauges
*PROJECT BLUE THUNDER*
2009 Victory Hammer S Blue with white rally stripes
Victory Performance exhaust-Two person seat-detachable wind shield

Science & Evolution Club Member #4
post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddot View Post
I had issues along them lines and it was a really bad spark plug. I needed a tune up anyways so I did that and no issues since. You should at least pull the spark plugs out to look at em. thats free.
yeah i just clicked 85000 miles, and i dont know when they were changed. i am thinking i should just do it anyway and see what happens.

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4

post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
340dartswinger

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had a very similar experience. Everytime I would try to accelerate on the freeway it would shake and buck like crazy. The check engine like would flash but the only code it stored was for a bunch of misfires. It turned out there is a group of ground wires on the front of the drivers side cylinder head that were loose and corroded. Tightened and cleaned those up and it ran like new again.

2012 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab
Hemi 6spd Auto
Superchips 3842, Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau, Tinted windows, 100w 20" LED Lightbar in Front Bumper,
2 18w LED Rear Lights, LED Tailgate Lightbar, In-Channel Vent Visors, Cooper Zeon LTZ's, BedRug Bedmat

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger
360- Edelbrock RPM Heads and Cam, Holley intake and Carb, Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, TTI Headers, Full MSD Ignition.
727 Manual reverse pattern trans, 2800 Stall converter.
8 3/4 Auburn posi 3.73's.
Fiberglass Hood and Bumpers, 10pt cage and Dodge Neon bucket seats.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 340dartswinger View Post
I had a very similar experience. Everytime I would try to accelerate on the freeway it would shake and buck like crazy. The check engine like would flash but the only code it stored was for a bunch of misfires. It turned out there is a group of ground wires on the front of the drivers side cylinder head that were loose and corroded. Tightened and cleaned those up and it ran like new again.
alright thanks. ill check those.

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4

post #8 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 340dartswinger View Post
could you post a pic of where you are talking about? thanks!

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4

post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
MoparAndy04

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Which cylinder is misfiring? Usually the code tells you. Then you can focus on the particular cylinder in question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn CC 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 8spd ZF Trans, Sunroof
Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, Center Console
Bone Stock

post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparAndy04 View Post
Which cylinder is misfiring? Usually the code tells you. Then you can focus on the particular cylinder in question.
1-3 and 8.

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4

post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:19 PM
MoparAndy04

I'd go against your Dad on this one. Go ahead and do a simple tune up and fill it with a fresh tank of gas, and then go from there. Remember, do the simple things first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bone Stock

post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM
340dartswinger

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow in the light. But it is a bolt that goes through the mount for the power steering pump into the front of the cylinder head. There are several ground wires there, one of them being the neg battery cable.

2012 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab
Hemi 6spd Auto
Superchips 3842, Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau, Tinted windows, 100w 20" LED Lightbar in Front Bumper,
2 18w LED Rear Lights, LED Tailgate Lightbar, In-Channel Vent Visors, Cooper Zeon LTZ's, BedRug Bedmat

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger
360- Edelbrock RPM Heads and Cam, Holley intake and Carb, Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, TTI Headers, Full MSD Ignition.
727 Manual reverse pattern trans, 2800 Stall converter.
8 3/4 Auburn posi 3.73's.
Fiberglass Hood and Bumpers, 10pt cage and Dodge Neon bucket seats.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparAndy04 View Post
I'd go against your Dad on this one. Go ahead and do a simple tune up and fill it with a fresh tank of gas, and then go from there. Remember, do the simple things first.
alright thanks plugs and wires or what? I'm only 17 so still new to all thos stuff thanks

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4

post #14 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
MoparAndy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRacer90 View Post
alright thanks plugs and wires or what? I'm only 17 so still new to all thos stuff thanks
No prob, I'm only 18 btw.

Yea, I'd do the plugs and wires. Maybe slap a new air filter in just for good measure. Do the cheap and easy things first. Also, when you remove the old plugs, have a good look at them. Note anything that doesn't appear right. Especially look at the plugs in cylinder 1, 2, 3, and 8.

Also, you might want to toss a can of Seafoam in the gas tank as well.

Bone Stock

post #15 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Ram lovr
Driven to perfection

I had misfire codes and running rough problem. Put new plug wires and plugs in and that solved my problems. Make sure to get good wires. Stock wires as they get old are prone to letting the spark jump out of them. I also wrapped all I could of them in 3/8" Flame retardant plastic wire conduit.Just dont get it too close to your exhaust headers because it will melt.

98 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab Sport, 5.9L,
Rancho 3" lift, 285/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's on stock rims
Windecker Steering Stabilizer
Flowmaster Exhaust
Lund Sun visor
Sony Head Unit,MTX Sub Box, MTX RT 2100X Amp,Stock Infinity speakers
KC 6" Slimlites
Rebuilt Trans w-aftermarket cooler

Pilot Fog Lights
Black Truck Member # 164
Cracked Dash Member #31
post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't rule out a faulty coil!

2011 RAM Quad Cab 4x4 SXT 5.7 - Silver
108,000kms

post #17 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
XCRacer236
CaseDawg

(Thread Starter)
thanks guys. ill start doing some reading on plugs and wires. thanks

Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in