anyone build a 390 stroker? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
reek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
anyone build a 390 stroker?

I have 3 vehicles in need of fresh motors. I'm probably going to go ATK 408 stroker for my 72 D100. My wife's chevelle will probably end up with an LS. I'll be working overtime until next Christmas to get this done. So, that puts me with the dilemma of what to do with my 73 d100. it will be my daily driver and not a weekend toy like the other two. I have a good 318 magnum block to work with. I could get the bottom end done at a local machine shop and build a 390 stroker. this would save me money and give me a bit more oomph than putting a 318 back in the truck.

I've not found much on the magnum 390 stroker. anyone build one? any pros / cons if I'm considering this 'budget' build? any help or info appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
I don't see the logic of spending the money on a stroker kit to gain 72 CI. A 360M should be the starting point. Depending on what you call "budget' build" the stroker kit cam/lifters and new heads machining isn't exactly what i consider "budget".
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
reek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
pretty much what a lot have said. not much of a budget build I know. but I have a good block in possession and I'll be building it over some time. Just looking for input on the build more than reasoning why. although it could be argued, the why part is in the "cons" list of the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Quote:
this would save me money and give me a bit more oomph than putting a 318 back in the truck.
It's only 30 Ci difference away from the 360. I think another option would be to find a low mile 360 and put that in. Here is a pic of the cam lobes on a 360 with 200K(at least that's what i was told). I took apart 318 and found the same thing worn cam lobes. A low mile block shouldn't have this problem witch will save you money on replacing the cam/lifters. Don't know if you looked for replacement cams for the magnum motors or not but what you will find is either the well known cam manufactures(comp cams) or engine tech witch offers a oe replacement. Who makes engine tech parts??? Never heard of them before and i am not putting some Chinese made crap in my engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in