2003 Quad Cab 1500 4.7 Engine Suggestions - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Revvv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 Quad Cab 1500 4.7 Engine Suggestions

Last year the engine in my Ram died at about 250,000 miles. Long story short, it dropped the lower radiator hose and ran hot before the computer and guages could register. The engine ran hot enough to melt the catalytic converter and almost completely clog the exhaust.

I did not check anything like I should have. I refilled the engine with coolant and it struggled to fire. It acted as if the engine was hydrolocked. I pulled the plugs and everything was fine. I fired it up again and drove it home. The engine ran hot as I pulled into my driveway. It was a 30 minute ride.

I pulled the dipstick and found a bad milkshake. It also smelled like rotten eggs due to the clogged exhaust. I pulled the heads and decided to stop there. The heads were destroyed (but they were surprisingly not warped).

I am certain the short block is a total loss after sitting for a year with the residue of oil and coolant. Plus I left the pistons open to the elements.

Now I am looking for a long block 4.7 to get the truck going again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to drop another engine between the fenders without a lot of headaches. That means I am staying with the 4.7 engine.

The salvage yards in my area are useless, and so far I am not finding any crate engines, or reman long blocks that are not $2000 and up, plus a core.

I need suggestions guys. I am tired of driving my old Mustang. I have no room, and I can't do anything I need to with that little car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 AM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
You don't have a zip code so I can't help you any further, but have you tried Ebay or car-part.com? Car-part will give you listing with price and distance from you. You will not find a reman for the price range you are looking for, but there should be some decent enough used ones out there.

03 Hemi Ram, 05 Magnum R/T, 06 Charger R/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Revvv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
30814 is my zip

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in