Magnum engine. The bastard of the market. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
CbtEngr01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Magnum engine. The bastard of the market.

Why has the magnum been forsaken? The engine itself seems to be a pretty good platform to build upon. When it comes to finding OEM & aftermarket parts and info... I'm glad I buzz my hair to 1/8", cause if not I'm positive if I could grab a hold of it I would've snatched each and every one out. Countless hours and countless gigs of data, 5 hens teeth, minimal relevant results.

Let me preface this with; I am not completely broke, I'm just cheap and budget minded, now. Horsepower is expensive. Fact. Anyhow, carrying on.

Intake. 1st off I don't want a carbureted engine. If I wanted that I'd build an LA. . Everybody says "get an m1." Ok, I'll give it a shot, seem to be popular so should be easy to find and hopefully under $400, I mean brand new edelbrock intake for the LA can be found for less than $350, so I don't want to pay much more than that. After about 3 hours of diligently searching I finally found part numbers for EFI 2 bbl & 4 bbl intakes. Good, now we're in business. Should be easy, I'll have an intake on the way within 5 minutes. Type in the part number for one of them, select the link, click buy now, take a sip of bourbon, enjoy the rest of the night, right? WRONG! It actually works like this; select the link, get "product unavailable" message. No problem. Select the link below it. Same message. Repeat this process 40 times. Sipping quite a bit of bourbon by now. Well, guess the 4bbl is more popular, so I'll go with a 2bbl. Nope! Same thing happened as with the previous search. Well that royally sucks, guess that's life. Let's make it easy. Search for "360 magnum efi intake manifold." first result is Edelbrock. Think to myself fine, I'll break down and just buy an edelbrock, sure hope it's an air gap design. Sweet! It is an air gap. Sh*t! It's for a carburetor. Are you f'n kiddin me. You would think a bolt on replacement manifold for an engine that has a throttle body and injectors... would actually be for TB and injectors. Or does that make too much sense? (side note: Obviously a one stop shop eddy top end kit is out of the question.) Still would love to have a good high flowing intake. Found one brand new one (one, single, lonely EFI intake), and it's $600, before tax and shipping. Building an LA is starting to look better and better. But now it's a matter of principle and pride; this will be a fuel injection build. Have heard that the magnum FI system isn't good for performance, with a good too end to include TB and better injectors, why wouldn't it be. Maybe I'll just mod my own kegger for the time being.

Heads. Lots of options here. Lots of posts across various forums, and plenty of tech articles. Good. But there's still a grrrrr factor. Flow bench test results from article to article vary greatly (unless it's the exact same article on 15 different web pages.) Many choices, let's do research on a few 1 by 1. EQ & Edelbrock seem to be a good bang for the buck. But... Need some work to get the most out of them. Really? Well over $1k and now, on this NIB stuff I need to break out the dremel to remove casting flash, do some porting, or change valves, etc. Nah bruh. Don't sound right to me. Since I haven't hit the Powerball just yet, no need to spend all my beer money on something like this if I don't have to get. So how bout I just port a set of stock magnum heads in the mean time. Thin, prone to cracks, yada yada yada. Can pick up a set for less than $100 all day long. Add 2 cases of beer and I'm up to a $136 investment for ported stockers. Never ported magnum heads before, best do some research. Ooh, they have a Mopar porting template for magnum heads. Very nice, I like you how much. Even found the part number. I know right, it's akin to finding a unicorn. This should make it a lot easier. Search for it, click it, buy it. Easy. Well, if you think it really was as simple as it should be; then you, sir, do not fully understand the struggle. Yet again we play another round of 53 card pick up.

Rotating assemblies. Actually had decent luck with stroker kits. Sometimes it got a little stupid finding some of the subtle differences in various kits, materials used, cam recommendations, etc. With this new found stroke of still-bad-but-not-quite-as-bad-as-it-was luck, I'll try searching for a crate engine.

Crate engine. Dozens and dozens of 408 strokers out there. 450+ hp, 500+ tq. Ahh yea boy, it's on now. Yea... The only thing that was on was my blood pressure. Don't want an LA, and don't want a magnum with a carb, dammit! "Turn key" "complete" "dressed" "drop in" my @$$. Apparently the term "drop in" has many definitions. I did not know this. My version of drop in is a lot different than the company's that make the so called drop in crate engines. My thought process: drop it in, engine mounts, connect tranny, exhaust, fuel line, electrical, hoses, then fire it up and start the break in process. For this to happen it would have to be complete on each axis. From the fan to the flex plate, from the throttle body to the oil pan, from header to header. Anyone read that and hear the mission impossible theme song miraculously start playing?

Exhaust. Headers. I think most folks agree that long tubes are the way to go, if possible. You know what's not possible; figuring out how far a particular brand will protrude down. Then reviews. One guy says perfect fit, easy install. Another guy with a similar truck, had to heat this, bend that, cut this with a sawzall, shoot that with a 10 gauge... Then there's the shorty header guys. I agree, anything is better than the stock manifolds. Can find a set that will work in the interim. I can rig up my exhaust to hook to the headers for now, it's "dual exhaust" already (actually it's the insanely idiotic crossover Y pipe (that makes me puke a little every time I think about it), single cat, 1 in 2 out delta 40 muffler), just need a sawzall, some flex pipe, clamps, and the right flared flange connector. That connector... Found only 1 that will work, and it ships from England, and it costs 28 British pounds, plus shipping. Wtf over.
Muffler. Website wants to know for what vehicle. Irrelevant, but ok. Find a muffler, I like it, I've seen it, I've heard it, I want it. "Not compatible with your vehicle". F U buddy. Doing my own pipes and welding, I assure you it's compatible.

There's more, but it's getting late. Rant postponed.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 AM
m31morgan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have been looking since early 2009 to start on my magnum engine but then had orders overseas that would not allow modified engines greatly beyond oem spec as England very annoying with emissions much like Cali but only more retarded. Got orders highly delighted but headed to Cali... my luck. I have know your struggles there are were very few bolt on parts available back in 2009 and everything that I was running into was Hemi this or Hemi that. Most help I got was get a new engine buddy that was 6 years ago. BTW if you want that connector let me know ill ship for free ha ha ha ..Well I'm interested in to see what else you can come up with..

Im currently shopping for a everything..but a new truck
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 05:24 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Here is a link of magnum intakes that are reviewed. Some of them you may not know about. Not sure if they are still available. It is unfortunate that manufactures forget about the magnum but it has been out of production for some 14 years. This subject has come up quite a few times and the best bet is keep an eye on ebay or craigs list for one.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 06:00 AM
m31morgan

Garage
read whole article then realized that I only don't have either of those. that's the other issue 4.7L magnum more or less a good paper weight..
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
CbtEngr01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If I can't find the flared connetor I locally, I'll need to get that one from England. Unfortunate as it is.

That allpar article comparing different manifolds is a very good article. Found it a couple months and have it bookmarked.

Find article/parts and it's for the wrong engine, know that feeling. Search for 360 mag efi intake, site pops up and has 2 intakes for the hemi, gasket and bolts for a magnum intake, no magnum intake, and no gasket for hemi. Seems a bit absurd to me.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 03:22 PM
m31morgan

Garage
I have no issues mailing a part just send me link I'll walk to store ... but after lots of reading thinking I'll start with a 440 and build up over next 5 years.. that will cost majority of budget off the bat but will allow me to learn all of my truck cans and wtf were you thinking as I go
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2017, 04:04 AM
MoparFanatic21

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
About 1 1/2 ago I built 575hp 650 torque Magnum fuel injected. Non turboed or supercharged
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2017, 02:31 PM
m31morgan

Garage
i was told this "Not trying to piss on a parade, just a talk order. If it were me, I would go for a 68-72 mopar with a built 440, 5speed tremec tranny, and 8.75 Chrysler positrac. After basic machine and rebuild, throw a matched set of edlebrock head, intake, cam, and carb....you be pushing 500-600. That's every bit the fun of 1000 on the street for half the price."

my end goal is to learn and not seem an idiot ... with being new to this thought id ask you.... i wanted 1000HP but in retro spect think a nice truck that i can continually build upon and not kill myself would please the wife. would you agree with this comment.. not looking to street race... but a silent runner that can get groceries before they have a chance to defrost would be nice.

once again im looking to learn so any advice or direction appreciated.

my basic knowledge is cars for dummies.. i can change oil, spark plus, and routine maint... its the upgrading parts that im learning... so if i have your permission to ask simple questions ty

btw im learning if a breaker bar seems to fit hit me
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 12:31 AM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
can you use anything here
http://stores.hi-potek.com/
or here
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt
what is it you want?

parts for sale
ask about my treadwright retread experience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$150: 210lb double and dampener valve springs .550 lift
$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, standard oil pump
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM
MoparFanatic21

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m31morgan View Post
i was told this "Not trying to piss on a parade, just a talk order. If it were me, I would go for a 68-72 mopar with a built 440, 5speed tremec tranny, and 8.75 Chrysler positrac. After basic machine and rebuild, throw a matched set of edlebrock head, intake, cam, and carb....you be pushing 500-600. That's every bit the fun of 1000 on the street for half the price."

my end goal is to learn and not seem an idiot ... with being new to this thought id ask you.... i wanted 1000HP but in retro spect think a nice truck that i can continually build upon and not kill myself would please the wife. would you agree with this comment.. not looking to street race... but a silent runner that can get groceries before they have a chance to defrost would be nice.

once again im looking to learn so any advice or direction appreciated.

my basic knowledge is cars for dummies.. i can change oil, spark plus, and routine maint... its the upgrading parts that im learning... so if i have your permission to ask simple questions ty

btw im learning if a breaker bar seems to fit hit me
The 440 if nice but doesn't support electronics so either you would deal with a truck the won't start or if it did start a check engine light on. Think again about half the price a 440 (even in the 70s when smog hit then) complete is about $4500
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM
The_War_Wagon

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to The_War_Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m31morgan View Post
read whole article then realized that I only don't have either of those. that's the other issue 4.7L magnum more or less a good paper weight..
4.7 would probably rock, in someplace like, east TX - or central KS. In the hills of Pittsburgh, with a stop sign every 5 feet - I drive mine in 3rd gear (autostick) most of the time, especially with the a/c. Otherwise, it has a hard time getting out of its own way in a 5,000lb Commander.

'92 Ramcharger - 318 Magnum, 35" M/T's - 4 1/2" lift - 4.56 gears, and a continual work in progress!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in