Can someone explain to me how the TPMS works? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 1 Old 05-23-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
RavenLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Can someone explain to me how the TPMS works?

Today I had the back valve stems replaced on my 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. The driver side one was corroded and part of it broke off. The passenger side one wasn't broken off but was leaking. I think the back ones were both aluminum but the front ones are rubber.

Anyway, the garage tole me the TPMS was leaking and that replacing the valves means that the TPMS light will always stay on. I'm OK with that. I don't need an idiot light to tell me if the tires are soft (I'm old like that - this is the very first vehicle I ever owned that had such a thing and I never even heard of such a think before I got this van).

I would like to know though what exactly is this TPMS thing, how does it work, and if using plain rubber valve stems is OK or if I should replace the TPMS sensors on those back tires too? Where are they located? Is it a hard job? I'm told it can be expensive. Is it?

I'd like to know a little more about this. For now, I'm perfectly OK ignoring that tire pressure warning light and just glad the tires are fixed and not leaking. And I can old-school keep check on things like I have for the past 30 years I've been driving.

Last edited by RavenLX; 05-23-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to say what Van I had!
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in