97 3.5 oil is full--light is on!! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
StephX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 97 3.5 oil is full--light is on!!

I would so appreciate some help. My car has 144,000 miles runs pretty good..has a intermitant check engine light coming on and off...But my new concern is my oil light. Here's my story....(hoperfully with a happy ending)
I'm sure it was do for a oil change to begin with. I drove for half an hour went to put it in park and the oil light flickered on. I had the oil and filter changed. Then last week I drove 2 hours nonstop at 70mph. When I went to put the car in park and had my foot on the brake my oil light came on. For the next few days it would only come on when I was going slow or had the RPM's at 1500 or less . Its not heating up either or making noise. Now its coming on at higher speeds and higher RPM's...
I hope this was enough info..Thanks, Steph
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Daytrepper
2.7 Trauma Surgeon

Send a message via AIM to Daytrepper
Its possible the oil sending unit for the light is bad. This is a simple relatively cheap fix, which is simply replacing the sending unit.

The other possibility if the oil sending unit is good, you have a mechanical oil pressure problem. This could be anything from a bad oil pump, sludge, or worn bearings.

Dan C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Dodge Intrepid
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
StephX

(Thread Starter)
Thank you.. Do you know how much a oil sending unit would be? Is it hard to change? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
StephX

(Thread Starter)
Its fixed . The oil light is off. Now just have to find out what the error codes mean for 12, 32..Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 AM
chadwick_r_hull

oil light on

change your oil sending unit
post #6 of 6 Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 PM
DPFinnell
Douglas P. Finnell

Oil Light

Twice when I had my oil changed, they had to remove a couple quarts. I erred on the side of caution, and put a quart in when the oil light stayed on. The second time, the mechanic told me the light comes on when idle is below 1,000 RPMs, which is often. It's not leaking, so i let the chips fall where they may, hoping for the best until the next oil change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in