Steering wheel Radio Controls added with Pics - Page 18 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #341 of 553 Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
sherdep
voo doo 1 I am buggin out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlK View Post
I went to the dealer today and had them activate the steering wheel controls and the manual high idle on my truck and everything is working perfectly.

The most difficult part for me was getting the switches to snap in place. The little plugs on the wiring harness for the switches did not require any trimming, straight plug and play.
Because of the weight of the diesel engine, the front end on the CTD is very heavy, I jacked the front end up and put it on stands, this made it very easy to turn the steering wheel to accommodate cutting the holes.

So a big thank you to you guys.
Cool
Glad to see another Satisfied Steering wheel Control install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 553 Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 AM
RamHemiTX
Brent

Send a message via MSN to RamHemiTX
I didn't think about the weight issue!! Congrats!

2012 True Blue Pearl Ram 1500 CC Longhorn Laramie Limited 4x4

2005 Ram 1500 QC SB Lonestar Hemi 4x2
Superchips Cortex 3950 w Trans Tuning/
$hitter tube MIT / Steering Wheel Radio Controls / ProComp ES9000 / Coin Holder

post #343 of 553 Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
rsudol

Send a message via AIM to rsudol Send a message via MSN to rsudol
anyone accomplish this mod on a Durango

Richard Sudol
2004 Dodge Durango SLT

Mods:
Splash Guards, Hood Bug Shield, New Pewter Billiet Knobs for all controls, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Factory Remote Start, MY Gig RER Nav Unit, Backup Cam, Chrome Exhaust Tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #344 of 553 Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsudol View Post
anyone accomplish this mod on a Durango
I would think it would be the same since there isnt that much of a diffrence between the Durango and Ram's wiring .. besides I have seen some posts of Durango owners doing this mod
post #345 of 553 Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 PM
ScoobyDooDodge
Scooby Snacker

I had started a post about doing this to my new '08 Ram. I see that it is possible. Do you know if you can have the RDZ turned on before you do this mod. I don't have my controls yet. I did this to my '05 and it worked great. Thanks to all for working this out for the rest of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Cherry Red Big Horn Plus CC HEMI
post #346 of 553 Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 PM
06SLTcs

Yea you can do that any time. Its just an identifier to the sales code which is read by the computer. It doesn't do anything untill you redownload the "firmware" i guess you could call it at the dealer. Then it tells the radio that the controls are there.
post #347 of 553 Old 12-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Brian B.
Six in a row makes it GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDooDodge View Post
I had started a post about doing this to my new '08 Ram. I see that it is possible. Do you know if you can have the RDZ turned on before you do this mod. I don't have my controls yet. I did this to my '05 and it worked great. Thanks to all for working this out for the rest of us.

Yes the dealer can enable the controls before you do the installation. I had my local dealer do it on my truck months before I got the time to tear everything apart and do the install.

They can even verify that the controls are turned on because a harmless error code of will show up on their StarScan computer indicating power to the controls but no feedback (since the switches aren't yet installed and thus indicate an open circuit).

There is a different harness that you should use in the newer trucks. It is part number 56049424AI and it is the actual wiring harness for this install. It allows complete plug and play from the left and right audio and cruise control switches straight to the connector to the clockspring. I then cannibalized the cruise control harness I removed to make the plugs to go from the clockspring to the back of the instrument cluster.

The only disadvantage to using the new steering wheel harness part is that my dealer charged me $237 for the $5 part! Your milage may vary. The same 56042934AA harness advocated here cost me $154, but has incompatible plugs to the new wiring, especially at the clockspring. The 56049424AI part is the EXACT one that comes up in the parts manual for our era of trucks with both cruise control and audio controls.

Good luck, this is one of my favorite mods on the truck!

PHOTO CAPTIONS;

#1 (533) Shows the cannibalized original harness going from the clockspring plug. One wire is grounded nearby, the other is spliced and goes to another salvaged piece of wire. This one fits into a specific empty pin spot on the plug assembly that attaches to the back of the instrument cluster.

#2 (523) Shows the part the original harness that was deconstructed with a utility knife and dikes to get the important pins.

#3 (531) Shows me inserting the salvaged wire/pin into the plug assembly that mates with the clockspring harness in the steering column.

#4 (532) This is the assembly that you add a pin to to mate the controls with the CANBUS network in the instrument cluster.

#5 (535) Is the completed and tidied harness that connects with the cluster.

All the pin locations are illustrated in your service manual. If I recall from th photos, (I did this install back in October) the pin nearest the end of the clockspring harness (in my case purple wire) is sent to a convenient ground. I used the chassis of the dash for this. The adjacent one (in my case blue wire) is tapped and extends a sufficient length where it is spliced to (in my case the green) donor wire/pin. This then mates with a slot (3rd one in from top left) shown at the open "box" in the photo in the dark gray plug assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 533.jpg (782.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 523.jpg (784.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 531.jpg (791.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 532.jpg (741.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 535.jpg (620.0 KB, 17 views)
post #348 of 553 Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM
ScoobyDooDodge
Scooby Snacker

Thanks a bunch. That's a great write up. That little harness is expensive. I found it for $178.00. I think I'll check the salvage yards in the area first. That's kinda expensive for a harness. I did have a talk with the dealership. They said no problem. Just let them know when I was ready to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #349 of 553 Old 12-26-2008, 06:34 PM
ScoobyDooDodge
Scooby Snacker

Well, I visited the 'ole salvage yard today and made some great buys. I bought the radio controls, wiring harness, fog lights with harness and the headlight switch for foglights. All of that for a grand total of $75 bucks. Not to shabby. I got it all installed today. I'm going to try to run to the dealership tomorrow and see if I can't get it all working. If I understand what I've read. They have to enable the fogs to get them to work. They have to add the radio controls to the VIN as a dealer add on and then flash it via the internet from Chrysler.

Did I miss anything?

post #350 of 553 Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDooDodge View Post
Well, I visited the 'ole salvage yard today and made some great buys. I bought the radio controls, wiring harness, fog lights with harness and the headlight switch for foglights. All of that for a grand total of $75 bucks. Not to shabby. I got it all installed today. I'm going to try to run to the dealership tomorrow and see if I can't get it all working. If I understand what I've read. They have to enable the fogs to get them to work. They have to add the radio controls to the VIN as a dealer add on and then flash it via the internet from Chrysler.

Did I miss anything?
Great Find
I think the foglights just need to be enabled.
You are pretty much correct but they need to update your vin for the RDZ option then update the DRB and then install it into your truck or it will never work.
post #351 of 553 Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 PM
06SLTcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B. View Post
Yes the dealer can enable the controls before you do the installation. I had my local dealer do it on my truck months before I got the time to tear everything apart and do the install.

They can even verify that the controls are turned on because a harmless error code of will show up on their StarScan computer indicating power to the controls but no feedback (since the switches aren't yet installed and thus indicate an open circuit).

There is a different harness that you should use in the newer trucks. It is part number 56049424AI and it is the actual wiring harness for this install. It allows complete plug and play from the left and right audio and cruise control switches straight to the connector to the clockspring. I then cannibalized the cruise control harness I removed to make the plugs to go from the clockspring to the back of the instrument cluster.

The only disadvantage to using the new steering wheel harness part is that my dealer charged me $237 for the $5 part! Your milage may vary. The same 56042934AA harness advocated here cost me $154, but has incompatible plugs to the new wiring, especially at the clockspring. The 56049424AI part is the EXACT one that comes up in the parts manual for our era of trucks with both cruise control and audio controls.

Good luck, this is one of my favorite mods on the truck!

PHOTO CAPTIONS;

#1 (533) Shows the cannibalized original harness going from the clockspring plug. One wire is grounded nearby, the other is spliced and goes to another salvaged piece of wire. This one fits into a specific empty pin spot on the plug assembly that attaches to the back of the instrument cluster.

#2 (523) Shows the part the original harness that was deconstructed with a utility knife and dikes to get the important pins.

#3 (531) Shows me inserting the salvaged wire/pin into the plug assembly that mates with the clockspring harness in the steering column.

#4 (532) This is the assembly that you add a pin to to mate the controls with the CANBUS network in the instrument cluster.

#5 (535) Is the completed and tidied harness that connects with the cluster.

All the pin locations are illustrated in your service manual. If I recall from th photos, (I did this install back in October) the pin nearest the end of the clockspring harness (in my case purple wire) is sent to a convenient ground. I used the chassis of the dash for this. The adjacent one (in my case blue wire) is tapped and extends a sufficient length where it is spliced to (in my case the green) donor wire/pin. This then mates with a slot (3rd one in from top left) shown at the open "box" in the photo in the dark gray plug assembly.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the harness you got do you? Because it sounds like the same one I got (56000918AC) I undid all the tap and took out the radio controls and plugged them into the radio buttons and clock spring no problem. Then took the pins out of the other connector. Only thing is that part from oemdodgeparts.com was $32.46. I think I had $100 in mine even after going to the dealership to enable them for $45
post #352 of 553 Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
06SLTcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
Great Find
You are pretty much correct but they need to update your vin for the RDZ option then update the DRB and then install it into your truck or it will never work.
Just make sure they hook it up to the internet. They can't do it on the starscan by itself.
post #353 of 553 Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
ScoobyDooDodge
Scooby Snacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SLTcs View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the harness you got do you? Because it sounds like the same one I got (56000918AC) I undid all the tap and took out the radio controls and plugged them into the radio buttons and clock spring no problem. Then took the pins out of the other connector. Only thing is that part from oemdodgeparts.com was $32.46. I think I had $100 in mine even after going to the dealership to enable them for $45
I don't have a picture of it. I've already installed it. It's the harness that connects the radio AND cruise controls. It was a direct plug in for me. I just need to get to the dealer to have them do their magic.

post #354 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Great Find
Quote:
Just make sure they hook it up to the internet. They can't do it on the starscan by itself.
I know it had to be updated Via the Internet .... notice where I said update the DRB ..... I know it wont magicly appear in the DRB ... sorry had to be a smart arse here
post #355 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Brian B.

Quote:
Man, I wish I took a photo to compare the two! I am sorry that I didn't take any of the harnesses.

I originally purchased the one that was suggested on the first page, 56042934AA from my dealer's parts desk. It was $154 from them .

When it arrived, the plugs didn't interface with the cruise control among other things. The parts guy indicated that it was not the right part for the 06-08 trucks with the RDZ option. We looked up that part in the Mopar parts manual for the 06 Ram and found 56049424AI is the correct part published. That one cost me $237! Nuts!

Conrats on finding the good deal on dodgeparts.com, I should have checked there before I let the stealership gouge me. The 56000918AC may be a older/newer revision of the same part, but I am not sure. I do know for a fact that the 56049424AI is indicated in the factory parts manual and worked 100% for me. Mopar sometimes will revise the part numbers, but usually the dealer's computer will indicate the successive part number.
post #356 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Brian B.

Quote:
Great Find
The fog lights are just a quick "check of the box" in the StarScan unit.

There is also a way in there you can get the fog lights to remain lit when the high beams are activated. I don't know the exact menu sequence off the top of my head but basically you ask them to find a menu (might be with the headlight controls) that asks the "nationality" of the vehicle. The USA/Canada/Mexico setting kills the fogs with activation of high beams. The other option called "rest of the world" allows them to stay on!

This "nationality" menu option (for lack of the official term) is specific to the control of the fog lights and does not alter emissions, fuel rate, etc. It may be in the TIPM or interior controls menu. Do not have them change the destination of the vehicle, called the "Country Code" (I think) in the top-level menu.

It's a better alternative than one of those aftermarket "BriteBoxes" that hacks the wiring to accomplish the same thing.

But this may be an "illegal" mod in some of those states Back East that inspect the fog light's function. In many Western states, like Arizona and New Mexico, the law allows up to four "headlights" to be lit on the highway and does not mandate the fogs be killed when the high beams are lit. Just putting that out there to keep the lawyers happy.

Last edited by Brian B.; 12-28-2008 at 02:10 PM.
post #357 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Brian B.

Quote:
I think this is why the other posters recommend having the VIN updated in the DealerConnect software one day and the StarScan hooked up the next business day.

I do not work at a dealership, but it may be that the StarScan units update info from the internet nightly or when docked. There may be a delay from the DealerConnect site before it adds updates into the StarScan database.

Mine was done the same day, although about an hour elapsed from when the service manager (he was the only one with Mopar login privileges high enough to change the VIN code; techs could not access that particular menu FYI) to when the service tech plugged in the StarScan to the truck and it updated.
post #358 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The fog lights are just a quick "check of the box" in the StarScan unit.

There is also a way in there you can get the fog lights to remain lit when the high beams are activated. I don't know the exact menu sequence off the top of my head but basically you ask them to find a menu (might be with the headlight controls) that asks the "nationality" of the vehicle. The USA/Canada/Mexico setting kills the fogs with activation of high beams. The other option called "rest of the world" allows them to stay on!

This "nationality" menu option (for lack of the official term) is specific to the control of the fog lights and does not alter emissions, fuel rate, etc. It may be in the TIPM or interior controls menu. Do not have them change the destination of the vehicle, called the "Country Code" (I think) in the top-level menu.

It's a better alternative than one of those aftermarket "BriteBoxes" that hacks the wiring to accomplish the same thing.

But this may be an "illegal" mod in some of those states Back East that inspect the fog light's function. In many Western states, like Arizona and New Mexico, the law allows up to four "headlights" to be lit on the highway and does not mandate the fogs be killed when the high beams are lit. Just putting that out there to keep the lawyers happy.
I dont think this applies to 02 to 05 since our trucks dont have the CAN Bus.
The Foglight option with the DRB I think only applies to the 06 and Up Trucks that have the CAN Bus...... correct me if I am wrong
post #359 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Brian B.

Quote:
I dont think this applies to 02 to 05 since our trucks dont have the CAN Bus.
The Foglight option with the DRB I think only applies to the 06 and Up Trucks that have the CAN Bus...... correct me if I am wrong

Yeah unfortunately from what I know this is only a feature of the CANBUS.

I think the 02-05 trucks are enabled by adding the fog light included headlamps switch in the dash.
post #360 of 553 Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yeah unfortunately from what I know this is only a feature of the CANBUS.

I think the 02-05 trucks are enabled by adding the fog light included headlamps switch in the dash.
Thanks for the clarifaction .. kinda what I thought
I know for a fact that you need the switch and an extra harness to make the fog lights factory if you add them after the fact unless you get the one with the wiring harness and relay with the aftermarket switch which in that case it will depend on how you wire the exciter wire that enables the relay to turn the lights on........ wiring the exciter wire to the parking lights +12 will allow them to turn on when the parking lights are on.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in