Steering wheel Radio Controls added with Pics - Page 16 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #301 of 553 Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
slide187

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
see now i'm not sure if i can take your advice since i have had a deep seated fear of Klowns since childhood!!

HA!! seriously tho, thanks. i'm about to do this mod, and that was really the only thing i wasn't sure of... Thanks for your help.

tim >^<

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.myspace.com/eraforamoment

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 553 Old 05-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Big Ray
Country Style

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Ray
It will be ok, no need to be scared. Now sleep well, LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evil_clown.jpg (24.8 KB, 261 views)

- Ray Harmon

2003 RC/SB Atlantic Blue Pearl ***Now Lifted***
1995 Dodge Neon Coupe Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #303 of 553 Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 AM
slide187

Jesus dude!!!

That reminds me of "Killer Clowns from Outer Space".... freaky movie!

So I did all the wiring from the clockspring to gnd and back to the C2 behind the cluster.... just waitin for the buttons and harness to arrive.

tim >^<

www.myspace.com/eraforamoment

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 553 Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
clemsonteg

Send a message via AIM to clemsonteg Send a message via Yahoo to clemsonteg
I want to see if I have the wiring straight before I do this

One wire will go from the white connector under the steering column to a ground

One wire will go from the same connector to the connector behind the gauge cluster

And the one harness with 3 connectors, one connector plugs into the steering wheel and the other 2 connectors plug into the switches, 1 connector per plug.

Is that correct?

Also, why do the connectors to the switches need to be modified?

I hate to go ninja'n people that don't need ninja'n.
post #305 of 553 Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM
whitegtx

Finally got the switches enabled today. Had to pay for 1 hour of shop labor. Tech had to call Support to get help on where to enable them and then 15 minutes to do it.

I could not find the connectors anywhere so I stole them from the passenger airbag on/off switch connector. I will not be needing to turn off the passenger airbag. It uses the same connector as the dash side of the clock spring.

Happy now. Thanks to all who contributed to this mod.

2007 Black CTD QC SWB 2500 SLT Big Horn Auto 4X4 3.73's Nasta SS Tube Steps
post #306 of 553 Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
XLR28

Clockspring C3 to C4 conversion

I have an 04 DR 1500 QC without the premium sound or steering wheel controls.
I purchased a steering wheel with radio controls from a junk yard for $40. It came with the Clockspring C4 connector cut off.

I could either have purchased another ~$200 wiring harness or --- take the Clockspring C3 connector (Cruise Control and Horn) that was not cut off from the harness that came with the new wheel, and modify it to fit the C4 receptical. I cut off pins 1 and 2 so that now it was just a two pin connector with (old) pins 3 and 4 which each had two wires leading out (to the old cruise control switches).

I cut and spliced the 4 pigtails on the (newly two pinned) connector to the wires from the radio switches and made a "radio controls harness" to go along with my existing harness for the horn and cruise controls. The pin spacing in C3 and C4 match so removing two pins and then grinding down the top of the connector so that it would fit in the (slightly) shorter C4 cavity worked like a charm.

I have yet to finish connecting from the back of the clockspring to the instrument cluster, but I will probably do that when I build my harness for the uconnect module and mirror.

So if you are fortunate to get a harness with the C4 connector still intact with your steering wheel along with the misfortune of having the C3 connector snipped, it is doable with some diagnal cutters and a grinder. (and a soldering iron and electrical tape).

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Last edited by XLR28; 08-22-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: flow
post #307 of 553 Old 08-27-2008, 01:08 AM
cazador223

Does anybody know if the 06-07 mod would be the same for an 08?
Also does the harness have to be modified for the newer 06-08 rams or is it more plug and play?
I waited 20 weeks for my new ram to be delivered only to find out the the dealer ordered the wrong nav pacakge, he ordered the less expensive one (minus the leather wrapped steering wheel w/ controls) and I wanted them,
anyway, I am going to order a leather wrapped steering wheel and if this mod can be easily done, I will order one with the audio control holes already cut out.
Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Tom
post #308 of 553 Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
RamHemiTX
Brent

Send a message via MSN to RamHemiTX
I know this is really old news and a really old thread, I just have to offer a huge thanks to you Matt for the writeup. Thanks for spending your time to put it together and thank you for helping me on the phone!!! You freaking rock.

The next time I am out that way I owe you some whiskey!! I went to the stealership before I started this morning to price the harness in case the one I got from the junkyard was bad. They wanted $187 for the harness.. I didn't ask about the switches but I am sure the price for them has gone up as well. So since I got the switches and the harness from the junkyard the total cost was only $22.00 and 3.5 hours of my time...

Thanks Bro!!!!
Brent
post #309 of 553 Old 10-21-2008, 05:06 PM
06SLTcs

Hi, So I've gotten everything installed. Called dealer had them put on the RDZ, took it in to get it enabled and they said they couldn't get it to work but they programmed it so that it should work when the switches do work. They said that it might be I need a cable going to the radio. Anyways. So I checked everything today. I get voltage from the cluster to the clock spring connector. Good ground. Get voltage on the other side of the clock spring, connect the harness to the switches and leave some room to test the connection and it gets voltage and can see it change when its pressed. So I really don't know what to do. In my receipt for the switches it says 07-08 and I have an 06 but I can't image that would make a difference.

Any ideas??

Thanks.
post #310 of 553 Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
sherdep
voo doo 1 I am buggin out

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SLTcs View Post
Hi, So I've gotten everything installed. Called dealer had them put on the RDZ, took it in to get it enabled and they said they couldn't get it to work but they programmed it so that it should work when the switches do work. They said that it might be I need a cable going to the radio. Anyways. So I checked everything today. I get voltage from the cluster to the clock spring connector. Good ground. Get voltage on the other side of the clock spring, connect the harness to the switches and leave some room to test the connection and it gets voltage and can see it change when its pressed. So I really don't know what to do. In my receipt for the switches it says 07-08 and I have an 06 but I can't image that would make a difference.

Any ideas??

Thanks.
sounds to me like the dealership didnt do something right......... I doubt the year switches are gonna make a diffrence.
if you verified the +5 volts and it changes as you push the switches I would have to guess the dealership didnt do it right.
That is the same thing mlakenan ran into when he installed his.... send him a pm and ask since he was the one that figured out the 06-07-08 Dilema
post #311 of 553 Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
06SLTcs

Yea, I was actually getting around 7 volts. I had them enable the Power on after shutdown but can't imagine that would conflict. I'll PM mlakenan and see if he has any suggestions.

Thanks.
post #312 of 553 Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 AM
06SLTcs

If its not hooked up in the C4 pin 12 I won't get a voltage to the clock spring connector correct. Also would I get a voltage to the clock spring connector even if it wasn't set up by the dealer?
post #313 of 553 Old 10-23-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SLTcs View Post
If its not hooked up in the C4 pin 12 I won't get a voltage to the clock spring connector correct. Also would I get a voltage to the clock spring connector even if it wasn't set up by the dealer?
if it was wrong you wouldnt get voltage but it should be like +5 volts not 7

yes you would get voltage even if the dealer didnt enable it right .... that was one of the things he said when he did it on his 07 until the dealer enables RDZ it would get voltage but not work
post #314 of 553 Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
06SLTcs

Ok, I was just making sure I didn't have to take the cluster back out again. Not sure why its around 7 volts, could be my meter. Wonder if that could be throwing off the values sent to the module.

I had someone on DTR check the options and said the RDZ was there like it should be. I've got another appointment for Monday so gonna try to get out there with them and see whats going on.
post #315 of 553 Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
06SLTcs

Well steering wheel audio switches finally work. Only took about 2hrs at the dealer. The first trip last week yielded no results and i think i understand why. i took it too em with the airbag out and wires hangin out, figured it'd be easier to troubleshoot that way the service write was like "oh shit" when he opened the door. Wasn't very optimistic at that point. So I told em I'd like to be out there when he worked on it and he was like oh no osha would have my ass if you got hurt and i really wanted to say well, actually the insurance company might, but not osha. Anyways, they eventually called me outside and we verified all the voltages and finally he hooked up the starscan tool and i watched him go through the menus and I told him what I was told to go through and he was like oh well we need to hook up to the internet for that. I was like ahhhhh, yea. The chrysler computer can't magically beam the option code I told them to add to the vehicle, though it'd be nice. So they did that and it worked great. The guy I was with was like hell we should hire him. Probably the only time they will ever have to do that. and even all that talk about the service write and me being in the shop, by the end i was putting the air bag and everything back together while he was reconfiguring my preferences.

Not sure if i'll have them work on it again. One mechanic came up to the window and was smoking and didn't really seem to care that it was going inside the cab. I should have said something, but we weren't finished yet and didn't want to hurt my chances. Who knows how much that happens though.

and after that still cost $45, i feel like they owed me money. Oh well. I'm just happy they work. now if i can just change tracks on my iphone from the controls, then i'll be all good.
post #316 of 553 Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
AlK

06SLTcs,
Glad to hear that you got your steering wheel audio switches to work.
I really want this feature on my truck and have talked to a couple of dealers, but the first response is a "vacant look" and then they say "it can't be done, only the factory can do this". In fairness to both dealers, after explaining to them that it has been done and giving them some details, they are receptive to helping me. So the more information that I can give them the better my chances for sucess.

06SLTcs, I noticed that your truck is an 06 like mine and I was wondering what the part numbers for the switches and wiring harness are that you used?

Also any tips or information that you can provide that would help me with the installation.

If any one else would like to jump in and help, please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
AlK

06 CTD QC Auto 4x4 SLT
post #317 of 553 Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
sherdep

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlK View Post
06SLTcs,
I really want this feature on my truck and have talked to a couple of dealers, but the first response is a "vacant look" and then they say "it can't be done, only the factory can do this". In fairness to both dealers, after explaining to them that it has been done and giving them some details, they are receptive to helping me. So the more information that I can give them the better my chances for sucess.

06SLTcs, I noticed that your truck is an 06 like mine and I was wondering what the part numbers for the switches and wiring harness are that you used?

Also any tips or information that you can provide that would help me with the installation.

Thanks,
AlK
I am Glad to see he finally got it working too

You need to tell them to update your truck for the RDZ Option through chrysler then they need to update the BRDIII via the internet for that option to be there then after they update the DRB they will reprogram your truck for that option ..... hopefully 06SLTcs will jump for better clarification
post #318 of 553 Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
RamHemiTX
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlK View Post
06SLTcs,

Thanks,
AlK

I just did this on my '05. I think there may be a part number difference on the switches for the '06. Here is the one bit of advice I can offer. My dealer wanted to charge me $40 per switch and $187 for the wiring harness. I got both switches and a harness at the junkyard for $22. For me it was worth waiting a month to find a donor truck at the junk yard.

When I took the parts off of the truck I removed the back of the steering wheel too. Instead of tracing a pattern onto the back of my steering wheel, I found a different way. I cut out the part of the donor wheel where the switches mount. See this picture:
DSC01898.JPG

Then when I got ready to dremel out the holes, I used this bit:
115_lg.jpg

When it came time to make holes in my wheel, I held the piece from the donor wheel in place with my left hand on the back of my steering wheel. Then using my right hand I dremeled from the inside of the wheel (so that the bit went from the inside of the wheel through to the outside). By using the donor piece you can cut the four recesses on the sides and then the one on the top. This makes it possible to install the switches without having to take them apart. And, there is no possibility of your hole being the wrong size as long as you follow the template. You are also guaranteed that they are exactly where they would be from the factory and straight (if that kind of thing matters to you)...

I was also a little confused about what I was inserting into the clockspring and cluster connectors. As you start taking a harness apart to harvest the pins you need you will notice that there are two different types of "pins". If you take apart the connector that has the green wire first, (the horn wire) that is the kind of "pin" you are looking for. I don't think the other ones will fit all the way into the connectors. I can try to get a picture of the two connectors if needed.

I hope that helps a little, and once again thank you Matt for helping me!!!!!!!

2012 True Blue Pearl Ram 1500 CC Longhorn Laramie Limited 4x4

2005 Ram 1500 QC SB Lonestar Hemi 4x2
Superchips Cortex 3950 w Trans Tuning/
$hitter tube MIT / Steering Wheel Radio Controls / ProComp ES9000 / Coin Holder

Last edited by RamHemiTX; 10-28-2008 at 09:51 PM.
post #319 of 553 Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM
06SLTcs

I Also got that same bit for my dremel and it wasn't said above but it makes a TON of chips. They went everywhere. Had to blow everything clear before reassembly. I used the abrasive wheel on the other one and thought it worked better. Also the Diameter is almost perfect for the switch cutout. I used some graph paper and a triangle and circle template. and just cut those out, taped them on the wheel measured a bit, found my fingers liked it. and traced and cut. I'll post pictures this afternoon of mine.

For the part numbers I'll check when I go to lunch. I had them on my phone but deleted them figuring i didn't need them anymore. I'll check the invoice though. From oemdodgeparts.com I spent about $64 with shipping. $45 for dealer config. and assorted tools and stuff. I bought a dremel. It was a good excuse to get one.

As for the dealer part its under the ECM buttom, TIPM gateway, misc. options. and at the very bottom of the list is a reconfigure button. if they arn't connected to the internet it should tell them they have too. In a a few mins they'll be working. he went through almost every avaliable option before i convinced him to try it. but it was interesting the things you could do with the scan tool (like personal preferences and stuff). I'd get one if they didnt cost $5k. ebay maybe?

I also had a tech come in and talk to me about how its only enabled at the factory and you had to have the 6 disc radio. But you have to be patient ( I was starting not to be after sitting for an hour) and keep telling them it is possible and you can tell them how to do it. As long as you can verify your wiring is correct and the RDZ is added. And tell them it has to be done over the internet. I assumed my first trip they knew this and apparently they didn't. Most dealers have probably never done this and after you will probably never do it again. We're in probably the 1% that add factory stuff to their vehicles as aftermarket.

Last edited by 06SLTcs; 10-29-2008 at 08:16 AM.
post #320 of 553 Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
RamHemiTX
Brent

I didn't really think the chips were that bad. I think it depends on how fast the bit is spinning and how fast you are moving it. Just a matter of preference I guess. Nothing a shop vac won't take care of. Can you possibly post a pic of the bit you used? Is it the wheel like sherdep used or a grinding bit shaped like the one I posted above?

Also.....
Has anyone done this on a CTD truck? Is there anything different on the cluster? I have a buddy that wants me to do his truck. I am assuming it should be the same... It is an '06 so I know he will have to do the whole dealer thing...

2012 True Blue Pearl Ram 1500 CC Longhorn Laramie Limited 4x4

2005 Ram 1500 QC SB Lonestar Hemi 4x2
Superchips Cortex 3950 w Trans Tuning/
$hitter tube MIT / Steering Wheel Radio Controls / ProComp ES9000 / Coin Holder

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in