Motor swap LA318 - 360mag help - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
I8AHEMI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Motor swap LA318 - 360mag help

I know there is a bunch of info out on this . But who on here has done this swap and has any good threads about it ? I have an 88 la318 tbi with 3speed auto. I just picked up a 94 1500 larime with a 360 efi keg deal on it. I'm trying to get a good plan together before pulling motors and doing this swap. The magnum is a rebuilt motor and that's about all I know of it. Will prob bolt it up to my current trans to keep things simple. I will have a bunch of questions on this and would like to see if I can get some help on here. A few right off the bat I have are about the fuel system - will the 318s setup be good enuff for the 360 mag or could I drop tanks and swap those two to get the right pressure ? I'm thinking about keeping the efi on the mag for now will my old dist work in place on the mag ? If anyone has or can remember a good thread to this please chime in. I'd like to do a proper build thread as well.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2017, 05:13 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
I think you will need a pcm for a 360, it will run on the 318 but you won't get the full potential out of the motor. Dizzy will swap over. Might be more info here...

http://www.magnumswap.com/using-la-parts-on-a-magnum/
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
I8AHEMI

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I have read over that whole site and more on these forums (lots of good info but haven't come across a step by step thread). I have a whole 94 1500 truck with the 360 mag in it, so to better explain yes I have the pcm and harness everything. I don't want to bolt on the old LA accessories as I like the serp belt and from what I understand I'd have to change the timing cover ? Anyway I'm looking for the more modern mag look - Any ideas to make the A/C system an easy swap ?. It's a short bed too like my D100 . Still haven't decided to fully build the mag and convert to carb or just try and plug and play with what I've got - I'd like to try that and later down the line swap heads/cam/intake/carb. More questions - can I easily swap the tanks/fuel lines (if I even need to) , rear end (to get limited slip) , AC , if I did keep newer trans bolted up - electric OD ? If I just connect power to the 94s main fuse box and run the whole new harness am I good to go ? I figure this has been done a few times where's a good write up of it ? - thanks

Last edited by I8AHEMI; 06-19-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 AM
Moparite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
What do you want to use the efi from the 94? I would swap over everything! You get better performance from the magnum plus overdrive. The ac compressor can be used but you need to convert it from the R12 to R134. You don't need to swap rears just the carrier (that is if it's limited slip).
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Pntyrmvr

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Do the entire Magnum swap.

I just put a 92 5.2 with an A518 into an 84 B350.

Night and day.

Lots of work, but worth it. Especially easy with both trucks side by side.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
I8AHEMI

(Thread Starter)
Yes I plan on doing the entire swap motor wise as I figured it would be easier than getting the newer trans to fit/work right - I have seen one done before but the trans cross member was a crude piece of bar with the mount bent to bolt onto it. So if using the mags trans how do I get it to fit with a very different cross member. How about linkage will my old linkage connect to the newer mag trans ? I have in the d100 the A998 and it seems like a good trans. About the A/C - what lines work and what compressor are you talking about the old one and swapping pulleys for the serp to fit ? Or using the newer comp and will those lines be able to bolt right on to the d100 ? These are the little details I'm after - AC is already R-134 retro fitted. pnty did you go carbed or what ? Seems to me there would be a step by step write up from somebody as popular as these swaps are. I'm ok with mechanical work but tying in the new wiring harness and comp into the existing system while trying to keep as many gauges/speedo working as possible is going to be a challenge.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-29-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
I8AHEMI

(Thread Starter)
I have started pulling the motor out of the 95 - looked into plenum and there is oil - this means getting the Hughes kit and all that so I think I'll just get an Eld intake and put a carb on there until upgrading to an adjustable Tbi/efi system that can be adjusted. There is oil comming from the front of the timing chain cover and the rear of motor so will get pulled apart and modified abit (cam/heads/?) instead of a quick untouched swap. The motor is broken clean off one of the motor mounts !? Starting to wonder my judgement on this being a good donor motor for the swap with some of these issues showing up.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in