Please help no gauges, heat, defrost - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

post #1 of 4 Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
bones7977

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Please help no gauges, heat, defrost

99 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3.
All of the gauges, heater, rear defrost a windshield wiper, abs light constant on, and overhead trip computer have magically stopped working. It all started one beautiful winters day in February when the dash decided to stop working. I read a post somewhere to give it the good old open palm smack on top of the cluster which solved the problem for about a month. Then the smack on the dash trick would not work any longer. I proceeded to remove the dash to determine if a couple of the pins were broken as I have read this is a very common problem. This was not the problem so I did more research and seen a couple threads that it could be the iod fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Still not the problem. before I attempted my next bit of nightmare problem solving I wanted to see if anyone else has ran in to this problem and what my next step should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading..... Bones

Last edited by bones7977; 04-25-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
bones7977

(Thread Starter)
I figured the problem out after 3 months of messing with it. Pulled the heater controls out and wiggled the wires connected to it and BAM all problems solved. Wierd. Thanks for looking
post #3 of 4 Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 PM
jks0313

I have the same problem in my 2K 'Van. The ground lead on the back of the heat control harness (Largest wire, I believe Blk w/Yel trace) gets hot and melts the plug, It gets loose and then arcs, causing the pin to become carbonized. Cleaning the pin with an emery board will help. If not you may have to take the gauge panel out and resolder the pins on the connector in the middle of the panel. Look on U-Tube, there are several videos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad-Cab 4x4 5.9L
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brand new Fog Lamps (!&#*[email protected]! Deer!)

Cat-back Duals, BFG Long Trail T/A's P265-75R16

More mods to come as I can afford them!

2005 Dodge Neon SXT: My Econobox!

Other cars and trucks from different makers but ALL American!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Chele

Another known instrument cluster issue

I've heard this referred to as the "slap dash repair", but slapping (or even punching) my dash didn't help at all. If this sounds like what you're experiencing, it may be cracked solder joint(s) on the instrument cluster circuit board. I found some YouTube vids on this issue for a number of Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler models. I'll just list one for a 1999 Caravan (which I have) and another for 95-99 Neons (had a '96 Dodge Neon before the van). Soldering on the back of any circuit board is pretty standard, regardless of whether it's in your vehicle's dash or in your desktop computer.

Repair instrument cluster 1999 dodge caravan -- youtu.be/Ha7KXBbP2AY

95-99 Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Neon Instrument Cluster Repair -- youtu.be/CtwnsPmkX1M

And the vid below shows how to remove the cluster from the dash. I think that's on a 2001 Grand Caravan, but the procedure is very similar, if not identical:

Dodge Caravan Voyager Instrument Cluster Removal -- youtu.be/EDvqXmhG8Uk

Hope that helps, if not you, then somebody else :-)

~Chele

P.S. I'm a member of this forum under user ID: MAMiller, having problems logging in, so I registered a new acct. Since new users can only post URLs after they've made 5 posts, you may have to search YouTube using the titles of the vids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in