adjust parking brake - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
cxf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
adjust parking brake

Hi, Did a search and turned up nothing so here goes:

Needed to replace both cables for the parking brake. Everything is back together and am at the adjustment stage. The haynes book says to " tighten the adjusting nut at the equalizer until the mark on the tensioner rod moves into alignment with the tensioner bracket" . My adjuster is brand new and came premarked with the 1/4" measurement on the rod. What the heck does aligment with bracket mean?

I found another set of instructions on Autozone that says "Hold onto the tensioner rivet housing, to prevent spinning while tightening the adjusting nut on the tensioner rod until the mark is no longer visible", I have been adjusting this thing and don't see how this mark would ever be pulled into the bracket to be no longer visible.

Am I overthinking this or missing something? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 PM
spun360

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
I just rebuilt & adjusted mine. took lots of slack out. maybe this will help.
I did mine on a hill. just keep pulling the slack till the E brake feels high enough. test neutral and maintain an easy free roll. hit the brake and test the stopping power.
make sure the self adjusters are "right" on the backing plate cause this could effect braking power too.

parts for sale
ask about my treadwright retread experience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

$150: 210lb double and dampener valve springs .550 lift
$pay shipping: new, dana/ spicer (1)greasable upper & (1)lower ball joint for dana 44
$pay shipping: new, standard oil pump
$pay shipping: new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
cxf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I replaced both rear ebrake cables and the equalizer thingy etc and just took out slack (similar to what you did although no on a hill) until I had good hold and release when i popped the brake release handle. Seems to be working fine. I never did figure out the arm thing on the equalizer but don't care... seems to work fine and passed inspection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in