DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2004 RAM SLT 17 to 20 wheels question

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  bmgamble 
#1 ·
On my ram, what sort of change would I see if I went from the 17 factory wheels to 20's.

The truck has 3.92 gears/4.7L and came with 17's from the factory..

26K Miles on her.

Would this hurt or help me in the MPG department? What about performance?

Thanks!

#2 ·
you will have some difference in performance and mpg , but the switch is worth it... go for the 20's. :D

bobby, have you ever been in a turkish prison. :D

#3 ·
Well, what kind of differences?? Lower MPG and Preformance??

I would have figured a little better mpg but what do I know (more area traveled per rotation) but I am wrong alot.

#4 ·
The tire diameter affects MPG, not wheel size. Generally a 20 will have a shorter sidewall, so harsher ride but better handling, but not necessarily a larger diameter tire. A larger diameter tire will adversely affect MPG in town, but increase MPG on the highway (assuming not too much uphill/downhill).

Or am I missing something here.

#5 ·
TexasAxMan said:
The tire diameter affects MPG, not wheel size. Generally a 20 will have a shorter sidewall, so harsher ride but better handling, but not necessarily a larger diameter tire. A larger diameter tire will adversely affect MPG in town, but increase MPG on the highway (assuming not too much uphill/downhill).

Or am I missing something here.
Larger wheels weigh more. Takes more ponies to turn heavier wheels.

I'd be willing to bet youll see a difference in 33" 17s vs 33" 20s mpg

#6 ·
I did that swap and it required me getting my speedometer reset because it was off by 5mph. They do look nicer in my opinion.

#8 ·
DodgeThisRam06 said:
I did that swap and it required me getting my speedometer reset because it was off by 5mph. They do look nicer in my opinion.
i still have yet to get my speedometer reset. i just watch my speed or watch for cops. :D

#9 ·
RamKid2005 said:
i still have yet to get my speedometer reset. i just watch my speed or watch for cops. :D
the main reason i had mine reset was because it wasn't recording actual mileage accurately so i never knew what my gas mileage was.

#12 ·
allhemi said:
What did it cost you? I need to do it to.
It cost $45 bucks.

#13 ·
mrb1986 said:
im lookin to sling my 20s to a good home :D i want the 17s from an offroad package :rck: and some 35s...mmmmm...beefy

Wish I had the offroad wheels now to trade you. Although that would be associating with the enemy (OH). Hook Em!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.