DodgeTalk Forum banner

Recommended Replacement Shocks

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jackgear 
#1 ·
I am new to having a Ram again. Mine is a 1998 1500 quadcab (2WD), 318V8 It only has 39K on it, but the shocks see soft to me. I know prior owner towed a small boat which probably why the rear is soft. What brand/model do you folks recommend as a good HD replacement.

Appreciate it folks.

#2 ·
2000 Durango 4.7 4X4 bought brand new with OEM buckboard crappy ride. Now has 240k mi. mostly decent road and is way better than new - really. OEM shocks were just the worst, and luckily died quickly. So, went thru a lot of experimentation. As to brands I have found that Monroe was meh, Gabrials gave good handling/ride but shortish life loosing the gas action and suspension then nearly resting on the rubber stops. Hated Ranchos and tried several models, some adjustable, on an exchange basis. Just too much pogo action indicating poor valve design. For a while ran Edelbrocks and were OK until rubber bushings fell out with 80k mi. on them. Their lifetime warranty was useless as they stopped selling them, thus none in stock. Finally, went with Bilstein. Have about 20k mi. on them and they are just like new. More costly than most others, bur seem well worth it. Very satisfying combination of ride and handling. with emphasis on ride. So, it will depend a lot on how you intend to use your truck, your willingness to part with cash, and your preferences for ride and handling. Good luck.

#4 ·
Put shocks on mine and ride improvement was minimal. Now I am wondering if the front springs are worn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.