DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting code P0430 after Magnaflow Y

2K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  compressor man 
#1 · (Edited)
I have done some searching on here and it sounds like it could be an exhaust leak somewhere...? Problem is tomorrow is Sunday and I am leaving on Monday morning to go to Colorado for a week and will be towing a 12' enclosed Uhaul back. Is this going to cause me problems? The exhaust guy checked for leaks before I took the truck and there werent any (I was there while he was doing it). Maybe a leak has just begun? I dont know what to do. The Y was installed today FYI.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention it happened about 15 miles after dropping off a 16' enclosed trailer. No codes during pull, but I dropped the trailer off at someone's house and headed home. That's when the code came up.

I just cleared the code then turned the truck back on, got under it to feel for any leaks (didnt feel any), and the code did not come back on. Who knows if it will though....

Should I be concerned?

#2 ·
It wont cause any problems, just the dash light. I was getting the same code over and over, I thought my cat was bad, so I cut them off to look, they both looked good. I am going to put high flows on now. As for why the code after installing the y, I am not sure, maybe welding that close to the 02 sensor messes it up, or the flow is too much for the stock parameters, but mine was always bank 2(passenger side)P0430.

#4 ·
It won't cause any problems as long as your cat is still functioning. If your cat is bad, you'll see a loss in performance. Before you get worried, see if the code comes back on again. Good luck!

#6 ·
Either the cat is bad or you may need non-foulers for the rear O2s.

#7 ·
Ok, Im going to resurrect my thread.... Im still getting the code. I clear it and it comes back a few miles later. It ONLY started happening as soon as I installed the Y, so I wouldnt think my cats are bad.

I looked at the non foulers that Moe's has. It says no drilling required, so how does it install?

#8 ·
They installed in the rear O2 location between the O2 bung and O2 sensor.

#9 ·
Here's a pic...

Attachments

#10 ·
P0430-CATALYST EFFICIENCY (BANK 2)

Theory of Operation
The State of Change (SOC) catalyst monitor uses the signals from both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors to detect aging of the catalyst. Based
on the fact that when a catalyst ages, it loses some of its Oxygen Storage Capacity (OSC). As a result, part of the untreated exhaust gases can
breakthrough the catalyst and causes the downstream O2 sensor to deviate from its neutral (Stoichiometric) position. By observing the activities in the
downstream O2 signal, the degradation level of catalyst can be detected. In general, the higher the downstream O2 sensor SOC value, the more
exhaust gas breakthrough and the lower the OSC of the catalytic converter.

#11 ·
I had the same code. Would come and go. I had a couple broken manifold bolts and the gasket was burnt out. Replaced the bolts and gaskets and all is good now. Code has not come back.

#12 ·
So even though it says no drilling, it still has to be bored out 1/2"?

Ugh, sounds like I might need to replace that cat....? Isnt that expensive?

Eaton - The underside of that truck is so clean. You would have a heart attack if you saw mine.

#13 ·
If you buy the one from Moe's Performance it's all ready to go, no drilling required. I really would try the non-fouler setup before you invest in a new cat...I'm almost 100% positive a new cat won't fix the issue.

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies Sam. So this from Moe's is something I can do even though I know nothing about fabbing or anything? It just 'plugs' right in?

#15 ·
Yep! Just unplug and remove the O2, put a little antiseize on the thread of the non-fouler and install it in the O2 bung in your exhaust, put a little more antiseize on the O2 sensor threads and install it in the non-fouler, and plug it in!

#16 ·
#17 ·
Yes those are the ones. Your code is actually a passenger front O2 code. Are you sure that y-pipe was fully welded ALL the way around it? Sometimes the muffler shops only weld whats visible and the very top can be missed. Anyhoo I would get two one for each rear O2 but only after I was 100% sure there were no leaks.

#18 ·
Yep, shops ARE bad about not welding the very top where they cant reach or see. Ive seen several do this.

#22 ·
2/1 should be pass side from O2.

You guys are reading it right.

#23 ·
Well I took it back to the welding shop yesterday or the day before, can't remember which. They felt around the welds for any leaks and said they didnt feel any. I had done this the day they did the welding and also didnt feel anything. When I get down beside the Y, it has a different sound, maybe it is just flowing better or it is leaking. I would think I could hear a leak if I were in my truck and accelerating.

#24 ·
I had this code when I put the magnaflow Y on my truck, it turned out to be a leak so small you can't even see it. The 07's are stupid sensitive to this. Get a spray bottle with soapy water and get under it, when it's cold, and check like you would for a gas leak. I actually took mine back to the dealer, the tech noticed water bubbles coming out of a weld, the second time he tried to find the problem. Even after he marked the spot you still could not feel a leak. Took it back to the exhaust shop they laced over the spot and the problem stopped, I'm still amazed how small the leak was.

#29 ·
Could be tire pressure, blend of fuel, let it sit at a light and idle, you pushing the RPMs a little more than usual or anything else.

1/2 a MPG is small and could be anywhere. Now if it were 5 MPG that would be something else :mad:

#32 ·
Alright, resurrecting this thread.

I had the welds fixed 3 more times, each time sealing it up, but then a week later I would get 2 or 3 more leaks. I was ready to set the truck ablaze. I got under the truck and grinded the welds as best I could and then took it to a different shop here in town. He found a couple leaks by putting a torch over all the joints while the truck was running.

I drove between 250-300 miles and then it came on again today. I got under the truck and found yet another leak. This one is on the weld AFTER the muffler (the weld that connects the muffler to the pipe that is connected to the tip at the back of my truck).

Would this be causing a CEL if it's that far back?? Perhaps there is a leak somewhere up closer to the Y, but I just couldnt feel anything. I am beyond frustrated. I am going to take it back tomorrow, but I was just curious if that weld at the end of the muffler could cause the CEL.

#34 ·
Alright, resurrecting this thread.

I had the welds fixed 3 more times, each time sealing it up, but then a week later I would get 2 or 3 more leaks. I was ready to set the truck ablaze. I got under the truck and grinded the welds as best I could and then took it to a different shop here in town. He found a couple leaks by putting a torch over all the joints while the truck was running.

I drove between 250-300 miles and then it came on again today. I got under the truck and found yet another leak. This one is on the weld AFTER the muffler (the weld that connects the muffler to the pipe that is connected to the tip at the back of my truck).

Would this be causing a CEL if it's that far back?? Perhaps there is a leak somewhere up closer to the Y, but I just couldnt feel anything. I am beyond frustrated. I am going to take it back tomorrow, but I was just curious if that weld at the end of the muffler could cause the CEL.
I doubt a leak on the downstream side of the muffler would throw a code. Just a heads up, it's a two start code, it won't set the code on the first engine start no matter how far you drive, it will set soon after the second start up, like within 10 miles or so. Keep us posted.

#33 ·
I doubt any of the leaks caused the CEL, my 07 started throwing codes after the y instal. You might have to do non foulers, some trucks are more sensitive than others. Or get a custom tune with the Predetor, and have the rear 02's turned off.

#36 ·
Yeah, I feel your pain. Mine was a real PIA.

#37 ·
Alright, I have re-read this thread a few times and it seems that there isn't a consensus (unless I am stupid) as to which 02 sensor it is. It is on the passenger side cat, but is it the front or the rear sensor on that cat? I was going to try the non fouler thing, but I was only going to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.