DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Code P0430 with Magnaflow Y

2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  4XBLACKRAM 
#1 ·
Ok, so I got my Magnaflow Y pipe and Cherry Bomb Extreme put on today and I love it. Much deeper sound and a lot less drone than my Flowmaster Super 44.
I drove it about 20 miles without any codes or anything then the light came on and I checked the for codes and got the P0430 Catalyst System Efficency below threshold bank 2. I know that it is o2 sensor on the passenger side after the cat. But I don't understand why I'm getting it since I didn't touch the cat or anything before it.
Is the improved flow causing this or could they have messed up the sensor when welding on the new pipe?

#2 ·
Double check the O2 connection and inspect the wires themselves, also check for exhaust leaks. I would first just clear the codes and see if it comes back. You can check the O2 sensor by swapping sides and see if the code follows the sensor or stays on the same side.

#3 ·
Thank you, I will give that a try. I called the dealer and talked to them about it and they said it could be because my exhaust is too free flowing. (I thought that was good thing) They also said it could have a leak or be a bad cat but I was thinking maybe the o2 could have gotten damaged.

I cleared the code and it came back before I posted but I will try it again maybe it needs to get used to the improved flow.

#5 ·

Attachments

#12 ·
No, 18mm spark plug threads.

#7 ·
Couple more pics installed.....

Attachments

#8 ·
RB, I had one on my 05 before it was totalled and loved the sound. I would have just went with it in the first place but I was afraid of the MDS drone. I'm glad that I waited cause I'm sure it would have drove me crazy.

Sawcut, Thanks for posting up the pics. I think I am going to see what the dealer says since their muffler shop put on the exhaust that way if it is a small leak they can fix it. If they think it is how the exhaust is done I will get some of the non foulers.

#10 ·
there are guys runing streight pipes with no codes, free flowing has nothing to do with it

#14 ·
Well I took it to the dealer and they tested the exhaust and all of the welds were leaking so they took it over to the exhaust shop and had them to fix them. The dealer also tried to say that my new exhaust is not restrictive enough and that the factory exhaust was baffled :huh: and I will still get code.

They said that the new exhaust is too close to my trans pan even though it is farther away from it than the factory exhaust and it will make my tranny get hot.

Oh and they tried to say that a dumped exhaust will cook your rear axle.

I think I'm completely done going there with this experience and the ones with my wife's former vehicle.

#18 ·
It's a good chance that's what it was, exhaust leaks will throw codes like a MOFO...

#23 ·
Love the headers! I went from an average of 15.55 quarters on my superchips to a 14.95 when I installed the headers and still had the stock exahust. What I dont get is now with the Y and the magnaflow muffler and the front resonator removed I cant get below a 15.3! I was expecting better results... But with the headers it pulls like crazy! It was a big improvenment for sure.

#24 ·
That is pretty weird. Maybe it has been the weather there? But I would still think you would be just as fast. I was looking at the BBK's but then I put the lift and tires on instead.

I think they will be one of my next mods but it will be a while. I was just wondering about the bottom end to help get me going a little better with the bigger tires. I know LT's would be better but kinda want to keep the cats.

#27 ·
No muffler shop and any other legitimate mechanics shop will remove cats, and generally won't work on an exhaust with missing cats. Also you don't have to lose the cats if you do a y-pipe, you can do a Magnaflow hi flow cats with Pacesetter LT headers and y-pipe. Here's a pic of an unmodified Pacesetter y-pipe, and another pic with Magnaflow cats on a the Pacesetter y-pipe.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.