DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Threw Code P0430 - What the hell does that mean?

566 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  slvrmagnum 
#1 ·
Autozone checked it for me and came up with P0430: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

"The PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 2 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions. (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank.)"

I know it has something to do with my cats, but I have no idea past that.

Also remember that this code was thrown while having my cutouts (which are mounted RIGHT after the cats/o2 sensors) open.

#3 ·
Theory of Operation
The upstream O2 sensor is used to detect the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas before the gas enters the catalytic converter. During the catalyst/O2 monitor test, the response rate (cycles/second) of the upstream O2 sensor determines the sensor's ability to achieve the tailpipe emissions limits. The response rate of the downstream O2 sensor relative to the upstream O2 sensor response rate measures the catalyst's ability to store oxygen and is used to infer the catalyst's ability to achieve the tailpipe emissions limits.

WHEN MONITORED
After engine warm up to 147 deg. F , 180 seconds of open throttle operation, at a speed greater than 20 mph , with the engine at 1200-1700 rpm and MAP vacuum between 15.0 and 21.0 inches of mercury (Hg) .

SET CONDITION
As catalyst efficiency deteriorates, the switch rate of the downstream O2 sensor approaches that of the upstream O2 sensor. If at any point during the test the switch ratio reaches a predetermined value a counter is incremented by one. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Exhaust leak
Engine mechanical
Aging O2 sensor
Catalytic converter
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

NOTE:

A new rear O2 Sensor along with an aging front O2 Sensor may cause the DTC to set. Review the repair history of the vehicle before continuing.
If an O2 Sensor DTC set along with the Catalytic Converter Efficiency DTC diagnose the O2 Sensor DTC(s) before continuing.
Check for contaminants that may have damaged the O2 Sensor and Catalytic Converter: contaminated fuel, unapproved silicone, oil and coolant, repair necessary.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, read DTCs.

Q: Is the DTC active at this time?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests (VER)

2. VISUALLY INSPECT CATALYTIC CONVERTER
Inspect the Catalytic Converter for the following damage.
Damaged Catalytic Converter, dents or holes.
Severe discoloration caused by overheating the Catalytic Converter.
Catalytic Converter broken internally.
Leaking Catalytic Converter.

Q: Were any problems found?

YES: Replace the Catalytic Converter. Repair the condition that may have caused the failure. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests (VER)
NO: Go To 3

3. EXHAUST LEAK
Start the engine.
Inspect the exhaust for leaks between the engine and the 2/1 O2 Sensor.
Inspect the exhaust for leaks between the engine and the 2/2 O2 Sensor.

Q: Are there any exhaust leaks?

YES: Repair or replace the leaking exhaust parts as necessary. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests (VER)
NO: Go To 4

4. ENGINE MECHANICAL
Check the exhaust for excessive smoke caused by an internal problem in the engine.

Q: Is an engine mechanical condition present?

YES: Repair the engine mechanical condition as necessary. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests (VER)
NO: Go To 5

5. AGING O2 SENSOR
A new rear O2 Sensor along with an aging front O2 Sensor may cause the DTC to set.
Review the vehicles repair history.

Q: Has the rear O2 Sensor been replaced without replacing the front O2 Sensor?

YES: Replace the 2/1 O2 Sensor as necessary. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests (VER)
NO: Go To 6

6. CATALYTIC CONVERTER
If there are no possible cause remaining, view repair.

Repair

Replace the Catalytic Converter.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests (VER)

Hope this helps?

#4 ·
Sry dude, but after reading that, I think I am stupider.

1. Does that mean that becasue I had my cutouts open, I threw the code?

2. Does that mean that I screwed up my sensors and/or cats for good and I need new ones?

3. Should I just reset the computer and move on?

#5 ·
This is because you had your cut outs open... those of use with long tubes throw the same errors... we used spark plug non foulers to trick the rear O2 sensors... you might want to look into it, or just expect this code sometime when you have them open.

#7 ·
So its nothing I should be worried about.

Does this mean that I am running lean or rich or anything of that nature?

Ill just reset my computer again to erase it and expect it I guess.

I don't have them open enough to look into that trick.

#8 ·
no if its the rear cats than it does not do anything for the a/f ratio thats the front o2's job, man the trick is super easy and is under 10 bucks, you buy 2 packs of spark plug non-foulers and drill out the top one to the size of the o2 sensor and than screw the drilled out one into the bottom one than screw it into the o2 hole and than put the o2 sensor into the top drilled out hole!!! done deal!

#11 ·
I want a damn tuner that can delete DTC codes. AAAAHHHH! Oh well, I will just let the CEL go off by itself.

So basically stated: P0430 is a code that means the rear o2 sensor has incorrect readings due to higher flow (IE cutouts, headers, no cats, or high flow cats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.