DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tow Hooks. Which do I need?

1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  4xfreak 
#1 ·
I need to install Tow hooks on my 2006 1500 Mega Cab.

Which of the following pictures do I need. Pic 1 or pic 2 ?

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I do like #2 better.

Are you saying that either would fit?

#5 ·
Got'ya.

I want to know which are the standard oem hooks for this truck.

#6 ·
#2 for the 2500/3500 frame. I installed mine last year. I cut hole in the black plastic cover instead of removing the entire piece. I am hoping Sata has a digital camera in his sack for me so I can get on the posting pics program.
Sean

#7 ·
I've got to agree that #2 probably has more strength, but I think pic 1 is standard for 1500's

EDIT: I'd go with pic #2....

#8 ·
The standard acroos the board for half ton trucks is pick one but i like pic two better. whered you find them at?

#10 ·
I have a 2500 and they are pic #2... Trust me they hold up alsome...been pulled out by a tractor from the front and they held up great. :rck:

#11 ·
1500 MegaCab uses pic two. Do not get from the dealer or they will tell you pic one is correct. The bar in pic one will literraly fall in between the rails on the MC. I bought pic 1 on advise from the dealer and am now looking for pic 2 so I can get some hooks on.

#12 ·
mega cab isnt a half ton to my knowledge is it? Its got all the 3/4 ton upgrades....but yeah those in pic 2 are serious tow hooks.

Go with PIC 2!!!

#14 ·
Any idea on the strength of your custom ones, 4xfreak? Is it close to the aftermarket ones you can buy?

#15 ·
cruceno2001 said:
Any idea on the strength of your custom ones, 4xfreak? Is it close to the aftermarket ones you can buy?

Well the back plate is 3/4" steel and the hook part was just some 1/2" shackles that I bought then cut the ends off. Stick welded them to the 3/4" plate so I know they'll hold. Mounted them with grade 8 hardware.

#16 · (Edited)
4xfreak said:
Well the back plate is 3/4" steel and the hook part was just some 1/2" shackles that I bought then cut the ends off. Stick welded them to the 3/4" plate so I know they'll hold. Mounted them with grade 8 hardware.
I know you posted those a while back, but I forgot....how and to what are they mounted? (oh, and can you get a couple more? ;))

EDIT: I just turned 2000 posts :ylsuper:

Carry on...

#17 ·
I went to the dealer and he said that PIC #2 is for the 1500 Mega Cab - I was pleased at that. $99

#18 ·
bmgamble said:
I know you posted those a while back, but I forgot....how and to what are they mounted? (oh, and can you get a couple more? ;))

If you notice in the above pic there are 3 holes in the back plate. Take off the black plastic insert in the bumper and you will see the 3 holes that they line up with. Very simple hooks to make. I bought the hook part from rural king (don't know if you have one of those where you live but any farm store would have them). Find some heavy duty steel and cut and weld em' up. Unfortunately since i've been laid off from my job I don't have access anymore to a torch so I can't make any more. Sorry Bryan.. :bawl:

#20 ·
Hey Lawgiver45 WELCOME to the DT family :D I get all your customers when your done with them (Corrections) :rck: I LOVE the job security this society provides for US :rck: :gr_patrio

#22 ·
Lawgiver45 said:
I like the look of #2, but I like the look of 4xfreak's custom one's better! Very nice work!

Thanks Bro. :tup: Give em' a shot, their easy to do. Oh yeah welcome to dodgetalk! :gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.