Have anyone seen a snorting Ram??? - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #21 of 40 Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok i know that you guys think that O2 is a bad idea. who works w/ O2 on a regular basis? you can flame me all you want but last time i checked......(witch was today) O2 is a non-flammable gas. its listed as a "Class 2.2 - Non-Flammable Gases: Gases which are neither flammable nor poisonous. EXAMPLES: Oxygen, Nitrogen, Medical Air;"
Oxygen, compressed// 2.2// UN1072// 2.2,5.1//A52// 306//302//314//315//75 kg//150 kg
taken right out of 49 CFR 172.101 (the federal guide for the storage/ transportation of hazardous materials) i work w/ the stuff all day i have had 6-8 oxygen concentrators running in my shop at the same time they were all emitting 97% O2. at the same time i was testing a ventialtor. (a medical breathing apparatus) wich also operates off of O2. we do have a O2 meter that measures the level of O2 in the atmosphere (or the medical equipment) so i guess that when a surgeon has a patient hooked up to a ventiallator and is operating on them w/ an electrosurgical apparatus, (basically its an arc between 2 points used for cutting and coagulation) the room should explode since the O2 level in the room is high. (in a enclosed room where there is a high concentration of O2 and a spark) as apposed to outside where there is no more than 21% O2? and usually a slight breeze (even if its not detectable to you)

basically your saying that O2 is so dangerous that it will ignite under the slightest little spark. its not a true statement. now i will agree that O2 can and will accelerate combustion. the reason that N2O is used and not pure O2 is that WHEN mixed w/ fuel it burns too hot. and causes meltdown of pistons ect. the nitrogen eliminates some of that. as nitrogen is an inert gas. and will only displace O2. now yes the possibility is there that it could accelerate a fire. i will not say that it will be a fuel source for a fire. nor will it burn long enough in the said application to reach a point of going BOOM. i can see your point in not wanting it as a source for the snorting. for the small risk that it poses. but N2O is just a volatile as pure O2 is. and i dont see anyone complaining about it. N2O is a non flammable gas as well. now i do not claim to be the most knowledgable guy nor to i claim to know everything but given the choice. if the O2 is stored in a DOT approved tank. i really dont see what the problem w/ it is. if i was wanting the snorting effect i would not have a problem using pure O2. now i would have a problem running around w/ a N2O tank that was not DOT approved. i dont know for sure but i am betting that there are tanks out there that are not DOT approved. to me a tank that is not tested to stand up to a crash, that is just dumb. you can find all the requirements in 49CFR that a DOT approved tank must go through in order to be approved.

now flame away. feel free. these are my opinions backed up w/ facts and a source where to find the information. im sorry i just find it odd that people are saying that its the worst idea ever posted on DT now dont get me wrong, you are entitled to your own opinions. i am not trying to attack anyone, nor am i trying to start a fight. im just stating what i know. the choice is ultimately up to the user. if you want to use a compressed gas feel free. i definitely DONT recommend using something like hydrogen or acetylene. (see 49CFR under Flammable gases)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
if it doesn't put a smile on your face, youre in the wrong shop..
follow along with the CNC Plasma cut parts on a 41 Plymouth rat rod build
(i have the capability to do the cutting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 06-12-2006, 11:25 PM
dartboy

Ya that is very true. Oxygen is not flamable it just helps other things burn, and burn hot.

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(29)*

2005 4x4 1500 QC/SB HEMI SLT "Almond Pearl"
PPP Road Warior Camshaft,SUPERCHIPS "Performance Tune", Aero Turbine 3030 from Southern Hotrod®, Airraid Quick Fit Filter, AIR=RAM► Jet Stream, Castrol Syntec Motor Oil
HELLA 500s behind the grill
MOPAR Wheel Well Liners
WeatherTech Floor Mats
AMSOIL Air Filter
BILSTEIN 5125s in the front, BILSTEIN 5150s in the rear
35x12.50 Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts on 17x9 Gear Alloys 711 Chrome Wheels

1971 Dart Swinger 318(Work in progress)
post #23 of 40 Old 06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboy
Ya that is very true. Oxygen is not flamable it just helps other things burn, and burn hot.
as i said......."pure O2 is that WHEN mixed w/ fuel it burns too hot. and causes meltdown of pistons ect"

you see me point on this though right. im mean please tell me if i am off the deep end here.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 Old 06-12-2006, 11:54 PM
94MOPAR5.9

one of the reasons i bought the hood i did was so that when/if i get a nitrous kit i can have the purge coming out of the "nostril" part of the hodd giving the snorting effect... personally i think it would look pretty cool
post #25 of 40 Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
dartboy

Ya that would look cool. I think the neon looked cool too.

PPP Road Warior Camshaft,SUPERCHIPS "Performance Tune", Aero Turbine 3030 from Southern Hotrod®, Airraid Quick Fit Filter, AIR=RAM► Jet Stream, Castrol Syntec Motor Oil
MOPAR Wheel Well Liners
WeatherTech Floor Mats
AMSOIL Air Filter

post #26 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 AM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Not flamming you at all but..................I'm a PARAMEDIC who does work professionally ALL day with medical grade oxygen, and regularly use those ventilators you mention.
Oxygen in the concentrated forms we use, is an accelerant in the presence of 2 things :- 1........Fuel .......eg oil/grease, hence we NEVER oil or grease o2 fittings at all and is contraindicated in all medical and 02 handling literature.
2........Spark........why can't patients smoke in the presence of 02 and why has it got to be removed when defibbing a patient?

If oxygen isn't that dangerous and as you say, is not that easily ignitable, tell me, why then, when I defibrillate someone, my protocol calls for me to shout OXYGEN AWAY to my colleague who is ventilating/bagging and masking with concentrated oxygen at the patients head ?????????

I have seen slides and picture of accidents, whereby medical techs and patients have been BADLEY burned because a pocket of 02 has built up under the patients sheets and when they defibbed.................bang !!!!! 3rd degree burns all over the place caused by an arc of electricity during the defibrillation of the patient.
As I say, you stick to what you want to do and I'll keep well away. ha ha ha
Al.

03 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi SLT
5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.
NGK Iridiums. Detroit TruTrac. TMR delete.
Procomp ES9000 with torsion bar tweak.
EBC slotted rotors with Yellow stuff pads and Cooper Zeon LTZ275/60/R20.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.
Prinz LPG VSI sequential gaseous injection system
with 2x70 litre siamesed fuel tanks.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
6000K HID Twiggy hi/lo + fogs.
White front and red rear LED license plate bolt Skulls.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Raider Low Rider solid tonneau.
Xenon wheel arches.
Billet Aluminium Rapid hitch.
EZ lift tailgate torsion bar.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
Black coin holder ha ha ha.
DVD head unit.
2xRockford Fosgate Punch 12" subs.
2 Kenwood 6x9's & 2 5.25's.
2x9inch DVD screens built into custom headrests.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
Toad Thatcham cat 1 alarm
post #27 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 12:10 AM
94MOPAR5.9

isnt there some kind of relevance between what we are talking about and when a fireman has to enter a burning room through a closed door? once the door is opened oxygen pours in and the flames explode out? i know oxygen is an accelertor for burning. thats exactly why you blow on smoldering ashes to revive a fire...
post #28 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
dartboy

O2 is not flammable however it is dangerous. In the presence of a flame it becomes part of the chemical process and helps the fire burn hotter. You guys are kinda saying the same thing. But it is inert I believe like nitrogen, but nitrogen can become part of the process as well only O2 does it at a lower temp. I think they meant to say Nitrogen as it gets confused with O2 sometimes which should work good for that, or even CO2.

MOPAR Wheel Well Liners
WeatherTech Floor Mats
AMSOIL Air Filter

post #29 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 AM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPGHemi
Not flamming you at all but..................I'm a PARAMEDIC who does work professionally ALL day with medical grade oxygen, and regularly use those ventilators you mention.
Oxygen in the concentrated forms we use, is an accelerant in the presence of 2 things :- 1........Fuel .......eg oil/grease, hence we NEVER oil or grease o2 fittings at all and is contraindicated in all medical and 02 handling literature.
2........Spark........why can't patients smoke in the presence of 02 and why has it got to be removed when defibbing a patient?

If oxygen isn't that dangerous and as you say, is not that easily ignitable, tell me, why then, when I defibrillate someone, my protocol calls for me to shout OXYGEN AWAY to my colleague who is ventilating/bagging and masking with concentrated oxygen at the patients head ?????????

I have seen slides and picture of accidents, whereby medical techs and patients have been BADLEY burned because a pocket of 02 has built up under the patients sheets and when they defibbed.................bang !!!!! 3rd degree burns all over the place caused by an arc of electricity during the defibrillation of the patient.
As I say, you stick to what you want to do and I'll keep well away. ha ha ha
Al.
i agree w/ you 100% but as you stated. "a pocket of 02 has built up under the patients sheets and when they defibbed.................bang !!!!!" there was a build up under a sheet. (read fuel) outdoors.........i dont see this as being an issue. and as an EMT you know that you jobs is to save lives and not expose you or the paitent to any harm. and yes there are things that i feel are a little over done inthe medical feild. but then again there are reasons for it. we are human we all make mistakes. but then again even if i was using O2 for the snorting effect a little common sence would apply. im not going to give off a burst of O2 into a fire/ spark. just as you are not going to defib a paitent. that makes sence. im sure that you dont use N2O while your trying to defib eather are you? see my point? again justa firendly conversation im not trying to start anything and dont take offence to what i am saying.

Quote:

post #30 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 12:29 AM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboy
O2 is not flammable however it is dangerous. In the presence of a flame it becomes part of the chemical process and helps the fire burn hotter. You guys are kinda saying the same thing. But it is inert I believe like nitrogen, but nitrogen can become part of the process as well only O2 does it at a lower temp. I think they meant to say Nitrogen as it gets confused with O2 sometimes which should work good for that, or even CO2.
i do appericate the defence of the nitrogen theory. but i was actaully thinking about O2 at the time. and you are right though im sure that i couldhave chosen a diffrent choice of words. im not saying that my choice of O2 was the best but i personally would not have a problem using it. allthough others might. im not sure but couldnt you just use halon and call it a day. seeing how it is a gas that is used in racing to put out fires anyway. (although im not sure about the health concers using halon)

Quote:

post #31 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 AM
BrandonSC

Good Lord! I need to take a nap after reading all that!

FOLLOW ME @

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
post #32 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 07:19 AM
jaurora

I feel like I am back in science class. Thats it I am calling Mr. Wizard!!!!
post #33 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaurora
I feel like I am back in science class. Thats it I am calling Mr. Wizard!!!!
LOL

Quote:

post #34 of 40 Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Az03RAM

(Thread Starter)
I did some research, What if we use Co2, the same as the paintball guns? Then the next question... where to mount? There is not much room under the hood to mount a 1.5lb bottle. And don't want it in the cab, that would be unsafe. Any ideas?
Az03Ram
post #35 of 40 Old 06-14-2006, 12:06 AM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

under the truck or in the bed? just a thought and if you look there is alot of room under the hood. what about right behind the bumper? you do want it easy to get to though sothat you can have the bottle refilled. you nee to find a gas that will give off a haze like N2O does though so that it will look right. i am betting that CO2 will but im not sure.

Quote:

post #36 of 40 Old 06-14-2006, 12:06 AM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

BTW sorry for the thread hyjack earlyer it was my fault and for that i apologise

Quote:

post #37 of 40 Old 06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
chrfoster10

Send a message via AIM to chrfoster10 Send a message via MSN to chrfoster10 Send a message via Yahoo to chrfoster10
thread hijacker!!!

E-6/TSgt serving in the USAF

2013 Ram Outdoorsman 4x4

Previous Rams
2003 2x4 QC 4.7L. **Gone but not forgotten!**
post #38 of 40 Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

yeah yeah yeah i know.

Quote:

post #39 of 40 Old 06-14-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Az03RAM

(Thread Starter)
Well some more info.... talk to salesman from Praxair. Now Co2 would be safe, tank pressure is 800 to 1,000lbs, but more noise less smoke look. Now Liquid Co2 you can get noise and the smoke look. Bad news liquid Co2 is 3,000lbs tank pressure. Hard to find a solenoid to handle the pressure. More work to do.......
Look up this site...dynotunenitrous then, look under fake purge kits.
Just a thought.
Az03Ram
post #40 of 40 Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 PM
06trxhemi
ASE approved

why not just run N2O? then you can have the look and the burst of power to back it up.

Quote:

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in