DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I scratched the sh*t out of my truck... HELP!!!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  DonRam 
#1 ·
Well I was off-roading today and I went on a much too narrow road and of course all of the brush was rubbing against the sides of the truck. My truck is silver and I was wondering what is the best way to get the scratches out. I know "just buff them out" would be the default answer for everyone. But what prouduct works the best to just buff them out? Not just conventional wax. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks alot..

Carlos J.

#3 ·
You can use diamond cut glaze with a high speed polisher, but be VERY CAREFUL!!! If you don't know what you are doing and work very patiently, you can take off paint! A good bodyshop can get most of those out easily if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself (unless you went all the way through the clearcoat).

#4 ·
I think it all depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are surface sratches, then I think a good conventional wax/scratch remover will work. Meguiers Scratch X is not bad. But if they are DEEP, then you may need some industrial stuff, or worse, a new paint job!!! Post some pics if posibble!

#5 ·
Because you are filling them in with wax, therefor giving the look that they are gone, but in fact they are just filled up with wax and not refracting light to appear as a scratch.(Not breakin' balls, just want the guy to get correct info)

You could always take a dual action random orbital polisher and use some meguiar's productsBest source for Paint Care Info

Try those, and like was said earlier, if you don't feel comfortable doing these things(Because you are removing paint no matter what to take out the scratches) then let a reputable body shop take care of them.

Billy

#7 ·
Good job you got a silver truck and not black!
Like every one said wax fills fine scratches and you'll have to keep waxing to keep them covered. What you need is a buffer with something like strata ultra cutting cream, Presta and 3M have a line of compounds up to a fine finish polish too. I own a body shop and recommend you take it to one if you can feel those scratches, as long as you have not gone through the clear scratches can be sanded out then polish right back up, being silver helps too.
If you really want to take care of the job your self, you'll remove the worst of what the eye can see by hand check out www.autobodystore.com/compound.htm mail order.

#10 ·
BVest65 said:
Because you are filling them in with wax, therefor giving the look that they are gone, but in fact they are just filled up with wax and not refracting light to appear as a scratch.(Not breakin' balls, just want the guy to get correct info)
You're not breaking my balls. To me, appearing to be gone and gone are the same thing. I've buffed many brush scratches with plain wax and never saw them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.