DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

erratic tach

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 ·
I noticed the other day that the tach is not working correctly. At idle it sits around 3 sometimes 0. The needle bounces when moving. Just recently I replaced the bulbs to LED . didnt see the problem then .I guess my question is can this be reset some how

#2 ·
any help here thanks

#3 ·
Perform the "Instrument Cluster Self Test"

The Self Test can be initiated manually by depressing and holding the Trip Reset button while turning the ignition on.

Observe the gauge in question while the Instrument Cluster performs the Self Test.

The gauges should position at the following calibrations points:
Speedometer MPH: 0, 20, 60, 90
Tachometer Gas: 0, 1000, 3000, 6000
Fuel: E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F
Coolant: Cold, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, HI
Volts: 6, 9, 12, 15, 17

from the 4Gen Section:
SELF TEST
The instrument cluster self test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the indicators are capable of operating as designed. During the self test the instrument cluster circuitry will position each of the gauge needles at various calibration points, illuminate all of the segments or portions in the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) unit, and turn all of the indicators ON and OFF again.

Successful completion of the self test will confirm that the instrument cluster is operational. However, there may still be a problem with the CAN data bus, the Power train Control Module (PCM), the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the Transmission Control Module (TCM), the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB), the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) or the hardwired inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a diagnostic scan tool to diagnose these components. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position.
2. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
3. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
4. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
5. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the LCD unit and perform a bulb check of each operational Light Emitting Diode (LED) indicator. The LCD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.
6. The self test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test. The self test will be aborted if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM over the CAN data bus during the test.

:)

#4 ·
hey DMC thanks that helped out alot . when I took the cluster out I must of bumped the gauge .Was able to move the needle to the proper poss

#5 ·
I hope that solves it ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.