DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

95 Ram 5.9 stalls while driving....

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ozzy1036 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I need help bad. My truck, a 95 Ram 1500 4X2 5.9 stalls every once in a while. It had not happened in almost a year and then happened again two weeks ago. I will be going along at just about any speed when I feel it start to lose power. Sometimes I can tap the accelerator when it is going only about 15 to 20 and it will seem to be trying to lurch (small lurch) forward. I pull over wait a minimum of 15 minutes and it will start up and go again. Sometimes for the rest of the trip, but most often anywhere from 6 to 20 miles, and then it happens again. Two weeks ago I was 150 miles from home when this happened and it took me almost six, yes six hours to get home. Very frustrating! Help anyone?

#2 ·
Did you determine the cause of it the first time? Does it only do it when the motor is warmed up or is it a cold motor issue too? It sounds like a vapor lock but haven't seen much of that with fuel injection. My old Dart would do that to me till I'd let it sit for a few hours to cool down.

#3 ·
I used to be a service tech for John Deere. We had a problem with with the coils on some units. The coils would work fine when the engine was cold. As soon as the engine warmed up the coil would fail. If you would wait about half an hour the tractor would start back up. When the coil would start the shut down there was a definite lack of power and some engine surging. Just a thought.

#4 ·
JamesJ2525 said:
I used to be a service tech for John Deere. We had a problem with with the coils on some units. The coils would work fine when the engine was cold. As soon as the engine warmed up the coil would fail. If you would wait about half an hour the tractor would start back up. When the coil would start the shut down there was a definite lack of power and some engine surging. Just a thought.
that would be my suggestion as well, wouldn't be the 1st coil I've seen with a heat problem.

#5 ·
could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump going bad.
ive seen a clogged fuel filter sit for awhile and let enough gas seep in to run for about 10 min. then it would stall again. but since the pump and the filter are probally in the fuel tank, i would try to check the fuel pressure 1st. if its ok then its not either one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.