DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intermittent Oil Preassure Gauge Bobbles

854 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  roboden 
#1 ·
On my 95 RAM V10, I've experienced an Oil Pressure Gauge fluctuation and required replacement about every 30 k miles. (or so the dealer says).

Sitting at a light it will occasionally bobble below and above the 40 psi center line. Then on turnpike runs, while I set it at 60 mph, and the tach reads a constant 1600, it will start to do the same thing.

Under city driving and stop and go conditions, it reads/responds well under acceleration thru all 4 gears.

Under warranty it was not an issue, just a bother. Now at over 100k and on its third sender(again, according to the dealer) its started this dance. I am skeptical that its the sender, more interested in finding the wiring connections. I understand the oil pump is on the inside front cover on the V10, and surmise the sender to be in that area also.

Anyone know for sure where the sender is, @ cost, and if there is an oil pressure regulator that may be involved ??

Thanks - I really like this truck, even after over 7 years and 100k it delivers - day after day after day... I still have fun sucking in those little BMW's at the light.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would also like to know this. When I am in any rpm range above 2000 my guage drops to 0, then as the rpms come down below 2000 it goes normal.

#6 ·
I get the impression your small gauge issue was actually reporting a larger engine issue - I missed your other posting.

I put in 7 quarts, and take out 7 quarts every 3000 miles when the mopar filter is changed (I did have to switch over to the 'stubby' filter, after Dodge quit supplying it for the V10). I run a quality Quaker State 10/30 all season. Plugs are changed every 20K and in June this year, they were all perfect.

The telling part of my tale is the fact that this will do this when sitting at an idle. No change on the tach, level ground, and wham.. the gauge bobbles onto both sides of 40 psi.

My next step is to get the Mopar Shop manual for the v10, and try and find the sender, and an alternative port I can attach a direct read gauge to. The aftermarket books and manuals simply do not present enough info on the 2500 hd V10 or in some cases actually present wrong info such as front brake rotor and bearing setups. (that one almost cost me some change when I installed new cross drilled rotors).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.