DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front axle 1990 W150 (Long)

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  MuddyW150 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have searched around the internet about CAD 4x4 problems. There is a lot of info out there. My 1990 W150 will "pop" out of 4wd when I put it under load. There is a loud "clunk" then it pops out. The 4wd light corresponds with the clunk. The 4wd shifter stays in fine. If it is just idling along it will stay in 4wd, but when I give it the skinny pedal she pops out. :mad:
At first I thought it was a vacuum problem. I checked the vacuum lines and the actuator on top of the transfer case. They are fine. I removed the shift fork motor from the axle with the truck running. Had my wife shift it into 4wd-2wd. The fork moved properly. It is getting vacuum to the motor and the motor is shifting over and staying. I checked the shift fork "pads". Replaced them with new ones. I looked at the "collar" and it will slide over the axle ends. The axle ends are fine too. The splines look like new still.
This is what I did notice when I had the shift motor removed from the top axle. The axle ends where the collar is located have play in them. They seem loose. I would think that they would have to be lined up perfectly so the collar would slide over both and engage the 4wd. They are supposed to "ride" on a inner bearing or something ? With that much misaligment no wonder my 4wd will not stay in.
What about putting a 1 piece axle in there and getting some manual hubs ?
Get rid of the vacuum shift fork motor crap.
Does anyone have good info on the company that sells them ? I cannot remember there name. Is there a "write-up" on it. I am a do-it-yourselfer.

Thanks,
Adam B.

1990 W-150
318EFI, Auto, NP241
2.5" lift 33"s
Lots of dents.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.