A crazy trans question. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2007, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
99sliverram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 99sliverram
(Thread Starter)
A crazy trans question.

I have posted several questions recently on the loss of 2nd gear in my truck. I had it confirmed by 2 trans shops recently. My latest question (which I'll admit is a one) is I need to drive to california from phoenix az in a couple weeks. I want to know if driving my truck that distance roughly 800 miles round trip is going to kill my "new" (mopar "powerglide" with overdrive) trans any quicker. I already drive it 150 miles a week with out 2nd as it is so I don't really see what I have to lose other than a possible tow back home???? Before anyone ask I don't currently have the 2500-3000 dollars to rebuild the trans before then. And other than my truck my only other vehicle I have to use is my General Lee replica. I really don't want to think about the gas cost of driving a 440 without a overdrive trans and 4:10 gears 800 miles is going to be!

Formerly 2000redram
FORMER Member #93 of "The Red Truck Club"

I no longer have the truck. Time for new name
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 2wd quad cab

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 quad cab Driftwood/(sliver) metallic, leather int Member #180 Sliver truck club
3:92 gears
3" lift
285/75/16 all terrains
Randy Ellis light bar with 4 KC daylighters

94 -96 NEW in box Mopar Ram electronic ignition switch for sale $20 shipped to the lower 48.

Future mods
Exhaust
315/75/16 tires
Trucks and guns member #47

69 Charger R/T "General Lee replica"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

440 .030 over
ported heads
10 to 1 comp
flowmaster exh
727 torqueflite w/ 2500 stall
4:10 geared Dana 60 with detroit locker
Not track tested yet. "weekend driver"
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2007, 06:28 AM
tactransman
Transmission Man!

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to tactransman
Once you get up into overdrive on the highway,your transmission doesn't even "remember" that it doesn't have second gear. The second gear band is for second gear only so you will probably be fine on your trip.

Terry aka tactransman
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

You should be OK, unless you have a HD 2nd (kickdown) band that has fallen out of place.... If you did you would here a thump-thump noise about everey 1 to 2 seconds. I know this from driving a van 20 years ago and then rebuilding the transmission with a used case.
Newer transmissions use a flex band which is less likely to rotate like what I described so you should be OK even with a loose band. I assume this is why it skips 2nd and you call it a powerglide+OD.
--B-300--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
99sliverram

(Thread Starter)
Well the funny thing is that despite what the 2 different shops said 2nd isn't totally gone it merely slips. It will shift into 2nd and as long as you don't accelerate to hard (say less than 1/2 throttle it's fine. But if you do try more than half throttle it just slips and feels like you put the truck in neutral. But thanks for the quick responses I feel a lot better about the trip now.

Formerly 2000redram

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 quad cab Driftwood/(sliver) metallic, leather int Member #180 Sliver truck club
3" lift
285/75/16 all terrains

94 -96 NEW in box Mopar Ram electronic ignition switch for sale $20 shipped to the lower 48.

Future mods
Exhaust
315/75/16 tires

440 .030 over
ported heads
10 to 1 comp
flowmaster exh
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 PM
way2brokenow

drop a couple jugs of lucus trans fix in her and let her rip.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2007, 06:56 AM
tactransman
Transmission Man!

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to tactransman
Quote:
Originally Posted by way2brokenow
drop a couple jugs of lucus trans fix in her and let her rip.
Not gonna help him in this situation.Lucas is for rubber seal problems(hardened or shrunken up).

Terry aka tactransman
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
99sliverram

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I know tactransman. I never heard anything good ever come from all those wonder chemicals for transmissions, engines,etc. bascially scams.

Formerly 2000redram

3" lift
285/75/16 all terrains

Future mods
Exhaust
315/75/16 tires

440 .030 over
ported heads
10 to 1 comp
flowmaster exh
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM
DODGEIT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If second is slipping then it is putting clutch material in the fluid and pan. Eventually this will plug the filter and when that happens it will not shift at all or for that matter even move. I don't know that I would chance it that far.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn QC 4x4
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in