DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing ball joints...98 1500 ram 4x4

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ronryben 
#1 ·
I need to replace the passenger side upper ball joint. Don't have the press. Is it really impossible to get the new joint in or out without using a press? I have a ton of patience and a strong mechinical background. I've just never tackled the pressed in ball joints before. Any good advice/tips?
Thanks!

#3 ·
I'm all for doing the make-shift press if it'll save me the $$$$$ that they want for one. I have the large c-clamp. Seems that would be a lot of trial and error before I would actually get the clamp to align straight enough to push the joint in? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, just that I was thinking that if I can fabricate the parts and pieces to actually make a c-clamp work, would I maybe then be able to just tap the joint in just like you can tap a bearing race in? Right size socket and tap evenly? Has anyone ever been able to do it that way?
As far as removing; can I just carefully beat out the old joint with my BFH?

#4 ·
you can do it with sockets, but a lot of parts stores will loan you a press these days. its so simple with the press that it is just insane not to use one. i bought one and love doing them, all i really need is the puller, and slide hammer for that god damn friggen $%#@*&%!!! spindle hub

#5 ·
I've tried to beat a joint in place before. I'd rather give the Ironman Triathalon a go before attempting that again. Less work and frustration. Like was mentioned, most places will loan you a press or rent you one.

#6 ·
Thanks guys! Gonna check out getting a press.....
The spindle/hub pisses me off too.........I've had em off a few times to replace the u-joints on the front axle shafts......I've been on it with chisels and a hammer slowly working it off......as often as I seem to be workin' on the front end I should maybe just buy a puller for it!
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.