Did SeaFoam mess up my brake booster? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Jebb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Did SeaFoam mess up my brake booster?

Two weeks ago I "SeaFoamed" my engine through the vacuum port on the brake booster check valve (like most people do it).

Everything seemed fined until a couple of days ago. Now, everyday when I start my truck and press the brake pedal I get a loud whistling noise for several seconds. Sounds like the brake booster diaphram and/or check valve is leaking air. If I hold the pedal down hard I can hear air rushing.

I checked the vent and it IS capped. (I actually remembered to put it back on!)

My truck has 82K mi on it. Is it common for the booster to begin leaking at this age or did the SeaFoam mess it up?
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
DannyMK2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DannyMK2
the sea foam should have zero effect on the brake booster since it should never enter it. your only using the vacuum line to suck the fluid into the intake.

2012 Express QC 4x4
2004.5 QC DRW 3500 Cummins 4x4
1998.5 QC DRW 3500 Cummins 4x4 - SOLD
2002 Ram 1500 QCSB 4.7L 4x4 - SOLD
Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member #108

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
If, for some reason, the SeaFoam DID get into the booster, could the solvents damage the diaphram or is this just a freak coincidence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM
MonsoonMike
Site Administrator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
You better believe it. Stuff eats deposits and stuff. It will tear apart the brake boosters rubber diaphram like nothing.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::
My Vehicle Build =
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Delmonico Red
My Vehicle Build =

post #5 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
SILVER DAYTONA

Same thing happened to mine about a year ago. Yep about 2 weeks and there I was installing a new brake booster.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 01:31 PM
SILVER DAYTONA

I have not Seafoamed it since then.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
NHHEMI

I don't see any way the Seafoam is entering your BB. The vacuum in the line is from the BB to the engine not the reverse. Your BB does not suck air the engine has the suction. So for the Seafoam to have entered the BB there needs to be a problem somewhere causing a reverse flow. I am not even sure that is a possible scenario? I don't see how it could get into the BB against the suction of the engine vacuum in the line????

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
post #8 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHEMI View Post
I don't see any way the Seafoam is entering your BB. The vacuum in the line is from the BB to the engine not the reverse. Your BB does not suck air the engine has the suction. So for the Seafoam to have entered the BB there needs to be a problem somewhere causing a reverse flow. I am not even sure that is a possible scenario? I don't see how it could get into the BB against the suction of the engine vacuum in the line????
Actually, I think it can happen quite easily. When the engine is running there is vacuum in the brake booster. When you feed enough fluid through that vacuum port to stall the engine (as it says to do) the residual vacuum in the booster can suck fluid back INTO the booster.

The makers of Sea Foam say it won't harm the diaphram but I'm not so sure. Seems like an awfully related coincidence. I hope I didn't create my own problem here.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
SILVER DAYTONA

I dont know how either, but it sure is strange that mine did the same thing as his.
post #10 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
ceri
'11 5.7L R/T Classic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did you use the right hose? If you did, there's no way seafoam would get into the brake booster. You remove that hose from the brake booster and that hose feeds into the engine. You effectively break the chain where the brake booster would link in. It's no longer connected to anything the sea foam touches until you plug the hose back onto it (which should be after the seafoam has all entered the engine). If you're talking about some kind of backwash upon starting the truck back up (with the hose connected), that's highly improbable.

I suck the seafoam in a little bit at a time, and don't try to kill the engine on purpose. I do that for about 1/3 a can about once a year. Once I get all in that I want, I hook the line back up with the engine still running, then go around and cut the engine with the key, let it sit awhile and then crank it back up in 20 minutes.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB 4.7L V8 2WD SOLD!
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB 5.7L V8 2WD SOLD!

2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L V8 RWD SOLD!

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB Laramie 5.7L V8 4WD

post #11 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
Did you use the right hose? If you did, there's no way seafoam would get into the brake booster. You remove that hose from the brake booster and that hose feeds into the engine.
No, I did not use that hose - I connected a short piece of smaller hose to the accessory port on the booster check valve. That's what others have recommended. In hindsite, I would do it your way if ever again.

I thought the Sea Foam would dry out pretty quick if any did get into the booster. Now I'm thinking there's a little pool of it down at the bottom eating a hole in the diaphram.

A week ago I was bragging about how good Sea Foam is. Ugh.

BTW - I only get the whistling noise the first time I apply the brakes after I start the truck. Once I'm going down the road it seems fine. Maybe just the check valve is bad?

Last edited by Jebb; 11-15-2010 at 04:06 PM.
post #12 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 AM
NHHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb View Post
No, I did not use that hose - I connected a short piece of smaller hose to the accessory port on the booster check valve. That's what others have recommended. In hindsite, I would do it your way if ever again.

I thought the Sea Foam would dry out pretty quick if any did get into the booster. Now I'm thinking there's a little pool of it down at the bottom eating a hole in the diaphram.

BTW - I only get the whistling noise the first time I apply the brakes after I start the truck. Once I'm going down the road it seems fine. Maybe just the check valve is bad?
This is not the fault of the product( i.e. Seafoam ). It is operator error. The proper way to perform a treatment is to remove the main BB line and use it or your PCV line. The Seafoam is poured into the main BB line and sucked into the engine. As the other member pointed out there will be no back splash like effect upon restarting the engine either. If used appropraitely it is impossible to get any Seafoam inside your BB.

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
post #13 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 AM
NHHEMI

Quote:
Actually, I think it can happen quite easily. When the engine is running there is vacuum in the brake booster. When you feed enough fluid through that vacuum port to stall the engine (as it says to do) the residual vacuum in the booster can suck fluid back INTO the booster.

The makers of Sea Foam say it won't harm the diaphram but I'm not so sure. Seems like an awfully related coincidence. I hope I didn't create my own problem here.
You are not supposed to use the extra port on the BB fitting. You are supposed to remove and use the main BB line or the PCV line. When done properly there is no way any Seafoam will enter the BB. There is no vacuum in the BB when the main line is removed.

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
post #14 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 AM
mlobitz
Fathead

Quote:

There's your problem... That sucks.

Mike

2004 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi

post #15 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHEMI View Post
You are not supposed to use the extra port on the BB fitting. You are supposed to remove and use the main BB line or the PCV line. When done properly there is no way any Seafoam will enter the BB. There is no vacuum in the BB when the main line is removed.
Understand. Now, if the Sea Foam got down into the booster, from the way I did it, could it have damaged the diaphram?

As far as I can tell now, it has a hole in it. It didn't two weeks ago.
post #16 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM
RubberFrog
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX

Sounds like you need a new booster. And now you know the proper way to seafoam next time.

'07 QCSB, Flame Red 5.7 4x4 SLT
Performance:
Internal: Custom Cam, 180 T-Stat - Intake: Ported Throttle Body, K&N Filter - Exhaust: Edelbrock Shorties, Magnaflow Y Pipe, Raceland Cutout, Dumped Gibson Catback
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

post #17 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Jebb

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberFrog View Post
Sounds like you need a new booster. And now you know the proper way to seafoam next time.
Understand.

Now what about the Sea Foam FAQ that says,

"Sea Foam has been proven to be safe for use in all engines, both diesel and gasoline, and won’t harm gaskets, seals or other internal components of the engine, fuel system or oil system.

Their engineer says it won't hurt rubber parts. So why does it seem that it did?

I don't know RF, seems I could argue that Sea Foam owes me a new brake booster. If you read the posts above I'm not the only example.
post #18 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
DeMoN-HeMi
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to DeMoN-HeMi
Quote:
Understand.

"Sea Foam has been proven to be safe for use in all engines, both diesel and gasoline, and won’t harm gaskets, seals or other internal components of the engine, fuel system or oil system.

Their engineer says it won't hurt rubber parts. So why does it seem that it did?

I don't know RF, seems I could argue that Sea Foam owes me a new brake booster. If you read the posts above I'm not the only example.
this is true if you run it through your system, it wont cause damage in the short time its in your trucks system, they arent going to be liable for anything if i sat in your booster for 2 weeks, any cleaning chemical will eat anything rubber if left on it long enough, they will say you didnt use the proper technique and that it was user error, just because there is more than 1 person in the world that has done it doesnt mean its their fault you left the stuff in the booster, read the can it says do not leave in system for an extended period of time

Official DodgeTalk Lighting/Wiring Expert & Retired Moderator- Daniel

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

post #19 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM
DeMoN-HeMi
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to DeMoN-HeMi
Please Read the warning posted on their site for reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seafoam.JPG (223.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg seafoam2.JPG (197.1 KB, 13 views)

Official DodgeTalk Lighting/Wiring Expert & Retired Moderator- Daniel

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

post #20 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 AM
ceri
'11 5.7L R/T Classic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Understand.

Sorry to bring the bad news. I looked it up on rockauto.com and a new brake booster (A-1 Cardone brand) is $100.89 plus a $40 core charge for a 2004 hemi anyway. That's not horribly bad. I sort of expected $250-300. You might find one at a pick and pull for cheaper. I wouldn't expect many people go to the junkyard for brake boosters.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB 4.7L V8 2WD SOLD!
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB 5.7L V8 2WD SOLD!

2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L V8 RWD SOLD!

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB Laramie 5.7L V8 4WD

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in