Hemi news, '04 Durango update - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 5 Old 10-11-2003, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BFARAM47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hemi news, '04 Durango update

Earlier today, I saw an '04 Durango cruising around. I thought to myself, "those aren't supposed to be at the dealerships until next month." I didn't think much else about it until I went by the dealership again.

To my surprise, there were 16 or so brand new Durangos in the back of the dealership! All different colors and trim levels!

I found out that these were all pre-production vehicles that were flown in for a press event for the Durango this weekend. All of the Durangos were being tested by Chrysler engineers prior to going to the press event.

I took the opportunity to talk with some of the engineers about various issues.

Let me say that I wasn't a fan of the new Durango body once the final look was official. I would rather have seen DCX come out with one closer to the RT concept version.

After seeing the new Durango in person, I've got to say that these things are sharp! The still images don't do them justice.

Some items to note, from the engineers:

1. 330 hp, 370 lb-ft. for the Durango Hemi is due to a different powertrain/pcm "configuration" - the engineer's word.

2. Tow/Haul feature - much like turning off OD in the Rams, but with greater fuel economy in the Durango. The engineer said something about the transmission being able to hold 4th gear without sacrificing power.

3. The RT version has NOT been scratched. It is still a very real possibility according to the engineer.

Hemi info from the engineers:

1. The RC Hemi Ram would "smoke the Lightning" - engineers words, if the pcm were "slightly altered" - again, engineers words, not mine and with a 5-spd manual. His note about the 5-spd manual didn't leave me much performance optimism about the 5-45FRE automatic transmission. Maybe the transmission *is* the major factor in not delivering all of the Hemi's power, as many of you have suspected.

2. DCX has a lot of plans to use the Hemi in many "configurations", read "differing states of tune". So, we'll begin to see the Hemi in a number of vehicles with a number of output ratings. Looks to me like the Hemi is going to be quite versatile. It also seems to me that the Hemi *does* have gobs of power just "sitting there" waiting to be unleashed. Again, as many of us have suspected.

3. PVO - Performance Vehicles Operations will begin to step up its visibility and not just with the SRT line.

4. The SRT-8/Magnum still doesn't have an official name, but will have one of the Hemi "configurations". The dodge.com site says, "...430 horespower with the WhippleCharger supercharger." Let's keep in mind that the claimed output is only 25% more with the supercharger, given that the SRT-8's Hemi starts with the Ram's 345 hp configuration. 25% increase from forced induction is not much, if you ask me. Then again, these are still concept/test numbers. And, Mopar is rumored to be developing their own supercharger.

5. Another item of interest from the engineer is that Mopar Performance is rumored to be preparing to open their very own speed shops at dealerships. He led me to believe that only specific/special dealers would get the Mopar Performance speed shops. I'm thinking that the 5-Star dealerships would get them. So, you would be able to purchase everything from the Mopar catalog at the dealership without waiting for any particular part to be ordered. Each speed shop would be fully stocked, and capable of performing factory installations.

Awhile back when PVO was created, I read in a magazine that PVO was planning to go this route as an in-house tuner for Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler brands.

6. Another item the engineer hinted at that DCX is toying with.....a 6.1 liter punched out version of the Hemi. Well, looks like StarTech in Germany has already done that. http://www.startech.de/homee.htm

That's all I can remember, for now. I will be getting more information from the engineer tomorrow when I go back to visit.

BTW- All of these Durangos are the first ones in the nation to actually be driven as final release, pre-production versions.

03 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi
3.92 Rear
Black

Many mods to come
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-11-2003, 09:22 PM
thekingofpain

WOW! Lots of info!

You must have a "young" memory to be able to remember all that and quote it---good job pickin their brains!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2003, 10:11 PM
NHRam
Layin' Low

Send a message via AIM to NHRam Send a message via Yahoo to NHRam
nice info, cant wait until we start seeing the 04's nation wide

BAGGED '04 RAM 1500 HEMI

Low and on 24's

DAILY DRIVER

2008 Electric Blue Quad Cab Dakota
4x4 4.7 V8

Jan. 2005 Truck of the Month...Thanks to everyone who voted!

Red Truck Club Member #7

Previous Rams

1998 QC 4x4
1997 CC 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2003, 11:44 PM
KB112

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to KB112
Yeah, great job on all this info. Good post with plenty of info here fellas.

KB

2004 5.7L Quad Cab
1/8: [email protected] --- 1/4: [email protected]
Exterior: Blacked Out 06-20"s, 295/50-20 Falkens, 2/4 Drop - Hotchkis coils/DJM Flip, Sport Conversion, Mopar Air Dam, Good Hood, ARE Cover, Rollpan, Mopar fuel door, LED 3rd Brakelight, Black Headlights, HID Fogs, Powdercoated Black SS Grille, Homebrew Powdercoated bumper grill with smoked turn signals
Interior: Infinity pkg, Slammed1 Bezel, BedRug, SRT Pillar
Performance: Hotchkis F/R SwayBars, Bilsteins, MIT tube, AEM Wideband, Comp 260, 6.1L Pushrods, 6.1L Exhaust Springs, QTP Cutout, Super Chips, NGK 4306s, Taylor Wires, TransGo Shift Kit, AT3030, CalTracs.
Awaiting Install:Thorley Mid's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-13-2003, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
BFARAM47

(Thread Starter)
Sorry guys, I didn't get a chance to stop by the dealership on Sunday. However, the engineers from Detroit will be here for another couple of weeks. I'll make sure that I get back over there and bend their ears some more.

Until then, if there are any specific questions that have not been covered, or any other rumors that you want an answer to, then please reply to this post.

I'll make sure to ask these guys, then post the results of the Q&A session.

03 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi
3.92 Rear
Black

Many mods to come
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in