Ah, yes...the write up...
I did this all with just a basic socket set and cresent wrench set, plus a screwdriver and a slightly dull hacksaw. I would recommend getting deep sockets, that would have made things easier. And a saws-all...or at least a new blade for the hacksaw...
The kit itself came with two pivoting hangers, all the pipes and clamps needed, plus two stainless steel magnaflow tips (not installed yet) and a flowmaster 40, 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet
I jacked up the rear of the truck in my dinky 1 car garage so that the tires were about 8 inches off the ground using 6 ton jack stands (make sure you block the front tires and use the emergency brake) and removing the spare helped a lot...I just wish I would have thought of that before I was two hours into it...(did I mention I knew exactly what I was doing?)
Removing the old stuff: This was the hardest part...the whole project took about 5 hours with 3.5 of those being the removal of the old one. The clamps were easy to take off the muffler...they were so rusted they turned to powder. The system was held up by two sets of wire hangers pushed into rubber holders. The rear one was not needed so I hacksawed the whole hanger assembly off. The front one (just behind the muffler) just needed the wire parts to be pryed out of the rubber. The new set had wire hangers welded to the first sections of pipe so the rubber holder had to stay.
Then I use my slightly dull hacksaw and started cutting away at the pipe right in front of the old muffler coupler. I used a bunch of cardbaord boxes to support the muffler. hack hack hack...boom crash ouch dammit "my thumb"...the old exhaust was off! It took some manuvering to get it around the axle and stuff...but if I had something better to cut with, I would have started from the back and cut the pipe in sections up to the muffler first.
Putting the new stuff on:
This kit did not come with instrucations, but all the pipes were labeled as to were they needed to go. There was a set of pipes for right behind the muffler, and another set of pipes for the rear of the system. Plus there was even a couple extra pieces of pipe for the front of the muffler that were meant to be cut-to-size.
First thing I did was put on the new hangers. There were set of holes on the frame about 18"-24" away from the rear bumper. I chose the lower set of holes, they fit the bolt that came with the kit perfectly. And the hangers spaced to clear the hitch and low enough to clear the bumper.
Next I put on the sections of pipe that had the welded wire hangers...They slid into the rubber holders perfectly
Got the cardbaord boxes out again and supported the brand new muffler underneath...I inserted the two outlet pipes and slightly tightened the clamps to hold it. I was about 3 inches short of the old pipe from the cat, so I hacksawed a section of pipe from the spare piece, put it in hot water to expand it a little...fit on there like a glove. Attatched the muffler to the new front piece...removed the boxes...no crash...YAY!
I then added the rear of the exhuast pipes...it was a little tricky on the drivers side with wiresa nd hoses and stuff under that side and had to figure out how to get around the shocks on both sides since I didn't have any pictures to guide me...but I fumbled through it, used the clamps to attached the pipes to the hangers
Did some tightening, slight adjusting, put the spare back up there, lower the truck off the stands and took the viddy I posted earlier...
I hope I didn't leave anything out...but I think I covered everything. Basically the kit I bought (madhatterexhaust) on ebay, was simple enough to work with for any inexperienced guy...if I could do it, anyone can.
Right now as this kit is designed for long beds too, I'm going to trim the ends to fit the tips better...
I'll open the floor to any questions....
2000 RAM 2500 5.9l V8 4x4 QC: Proud Member #90 of the Blue Truck Club
"Kennedy Mods" To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ventshade in-channel window visors / Painted Metallic Silver upper console and dash trim / Lund hood scoops / Ram tailight covers / Skull hitch / Snapless Tonno Cover / Main Grill and Bumper Grill Billet Inserts / 6 total driving/fog lights behind bumper grill / 2 "cat hunter" halogens below plate / blue leds in vents and grill / magnaflow 3.5" tips / 2" HBS front spacers / 3" Skyjacker add-a-leaf / 17x9 Rockcrusher Rims with 285/70R17 BFG A/T's // Modified "Frankenstein" Intake / 180 degree t-stat / Fastman 52mm TB / Hypertech III 87 oct setting / Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust / Summit Volt-max cap and rotor kit with 8mm spark wires with autolites
2007 Charger Police Cruiser 3.5L V6
"Echo Mods" To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Go Rhino Push Bar / Spotlight / Police equipment plate w/ Center Console / Assorted police goodies- sway bar, severe cooling system, more wiring than I can figure out, heavy duty brakes etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.