Death Wobble!!!! Fml - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
oh7mega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Death Wobble!!!! Fml

Well let me start of by saying my truck is on 07 mega with 44,000 on the ticker. So anyways the truck had the wobble a few times when I first got it only when I hit a really bad pothole of bump in the road, well as of late it has been doing it quite a bit more regularly. I take it to the local stealership who tells me it is going to over a grand to fix, f that I dont have that kind of money to throw at the truck right now. So I bought a new steering stab and a steering box brace hoping to shore things up in the mean time and f me if it didnt get worse. I am know avoiding freeways at all cost and praying that when I drive it that I dont kill myself or someone else. My question and then my rant is over. The truck still has the original bfg tires that need to be replaced as well, does anyone think it wise to replace the tires first then save for the steering upgrade or should I do it the other way around? End rant sorry for the length.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 AM
megadodge2007

I had a 2007 megacab 1500 4x4 and had the same exact same problem. The dealer told me the didn't know what was wrong though. I finally checked the load range on the tires that they put on them. It was a load range of b, our trucks are heavy and require a d or e. I got some 285/70 17 and haven't had a problem since. I don't know that this is your problem but its a thought. I was told that sometimes the steel belts can shift in lighter tires due to hitting something. I don't know that to be true, but its food for thought.

GOD SQUAD
#226 Black Truck Club
#226 Megacab Truck Club
post #3 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
BlackSmoke1989
The Silver Bullet

Send a message via AIM to BlackSmoke1989 Send a message via MSN to BlackSmoke1989 Send a message via Yahoo to BlackSmoke1989
Might have a wheel bearing out.. lift up the truck and see if you can move the tire towards you or the engine... stabilizer bushings might be out, upper a arm bushings could be out.. its a number of things regardless of what it is.. none of them are hard to change if you are mechanically inclined.

Member "The Red Truck Club" #245

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
K&N Air Filter.
More mods to come soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Wasn't there a factory recall on the HD's for the DW?

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM
rootkit
Jeremy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rootkit
we talking a 1500 or a 2500+?

06 2500 4x4 5.9l Laramie Quad Cab Atlantic Blue
post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
ungluedcargo
Nut up or Shut up

I have been down this road, check your ball joints, wheel bearings, track bar bushing, and if you do tires make sure you do an e-load range. Some people have had good luck with d load range tires on our trucks, I am not one of them. The E-load 305-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers I have are by far the best tires I have had on this truck. I will only run e load range now. But I would start with checking the basics too. Mine is on its second rt wheel bearing, and also has a new ball joint and new steering upgrade, all under warranty thankfully. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 loaded. A.r.e Z series topper, Line-X liner, Bushwacker pocket flares, tinted windows,Galaxy Miradge 44HP Cb,Wilson 1000 Cb antenna, Weather Tech floor liners, AVS vent visors, Painted Sport Bumper cover,Painted grill, Mopar nerf bars,Mopar wheel well liners and Retro Solutions Head and Fog lights,Retro Solutions l.e.d backup lights, Mopar cab lights, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Magnaflow Y pipe, AFE drop in filter, Kore H.P Lift kit, Carli Trackbar, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Fuel Boost Rims, 4.56 gears,Borgeson steering shaft, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Optima yellow top batt,Superchips Flashpaq, Smoked led tails and 3rd brake light, Stainless brake lines, Kobalt toolbox, Recon Projector Backup lights,Retro Headlights from Demon Hemi, Rvs Backup camera, and the ever important Cartman figure on dash.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red truck club #281
post #7 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM
dmcelhannon
Admin - David Mack

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Where are some links that might help ...
================================

http://thurenfabrication.com/misc.html

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show....php?p=2848910

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101862

https://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 91K/3588hrs, 4.56 R&P/DTT, Sonnax Line Booster, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer-case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
silverhemidan
Silverhemidan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge2007 View Post
I had a 2007 megacab 1500 4x4 and had the same exact same problem. The dealer told me the didn't know what was wrong though. I finally checked the load range on the tires that they put on them. It was a load range of b, our trucks are heavy and require a d or e. I got some 285/70 17 and haven't had a problem since. I don't know that this is your problem but its a thought. I was told that sometimes the steel belts can shift in lighter tires due to hitting something. I don't know that to be true, but its food for thought.

I agree with this...
BFG's = sidewalls to soft for our heavy ass trucks
I personally would start with tires,you are at about the same(44,000) miles I was at when I had the same problem(DW) with BFG's
speaking from my experience,only...

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
ILUVMYTRUCK

i have had three trucks and let me tell you. its all the same LOL. the stiff springs or something. i stopped caring because a truck is a truck. i think the best ride i ever owned was a 2003 ford explorer sporttrac. drove like a caddy! but even that on a rainy day had me doing 360's on the road. almost pooped my pants.

2008 dodge ram 1500 sxt 4x4 hemi
Flowmaster 10 series (loud)
Saddleman custom fit camo seat covers (real tree hardwood)
Toyo open country A/T (275/70/18)
2.5 level
Bushewacker fender flares
Chrome door handles
Chrome bug deflector
K&N air filter

Oh, and my cowboy hat air freshener.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in