Are $70.00 H1 HID bulbs worth it? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
jtbigz_ga
Grabbin life by the horns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Are $70.00 H1 HID bulbs worth it?

Guys I just got my retro finished with the Morimotos. I noticed something that I had not with my cheaper projectors though. My passenger projector emits more of a 4300k and my driver the 6000k that they originally were. Im thinking I only notice now because I have the bulbs behind a premium lens on the morimotos or that the sodium mixture in the cheap HID bulbs were never correct to begin with. So after all the rambling my question is this. RFS sells the H1 XB35 which is the premium bulb but it runs $70.00 bucks! Supposively runs cooler and emits more light. Any of you think it's worth the money vs a cheaper Ebay replacement?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 04:13 PM
btg0002
War Eagle!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
all of the aftermarket HID bulbs are china specials so I would say no. they are all going to be made the same way and have the same basic construction so the 10 buck ebays ones and those should be almost identical just with different packaging. the only bulb I have seen that this doesnt apply to is the vleds led bulbs that are crazy expensive, those are actually made differently and are worth the price bump over the competition but as far as HID bulbs, they are all the same

TRUCK: 2007 RC/SB 1500 ST with the 3.7 v6
PERFORMANCE: l jba shortie headers l hypertech max power programmer l Jet 180 tstat l e3 spark plugs l K&N CAI l magnaflow cat back dual exhaust l fastman ported TB l RP engine oil and rear diff fluid l bluetooth ODBII adapter for Torque app l
SUSPENSION: l 3 inch lift spindles l 2 inch coil spacer l bilstein 4600 shocks front l monroe load leveling shocks rear l TGC 1.5" rear lift blocks l 5" total lift front, 2.5" total lift rear l
APPEARANCE: l rhino lined bed l tonnomax tri fold bed cover l bed lined fender flares, rockers, bumpers l big mouth rivet grille l led tail lights l lamin-x tails and 3rd l led everything l HID heads and fogs l HID reverse lights l led reverse flood lights l debadged l hood spears l tinted windows l audio system l black headlights l black billet 15" stubby antenna l daytona tail light covers l
WHEELS/TIRES:l 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler l OEM 17s plastidipped black l
post #3 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
jtbigz_ga

(Thread Starter)
Yeah Im familiar with Vleds as I have many of the LEDs offered. Although I disagree with the remarks towards all HIDs being China based. Ive seen bulbs mass-produced in Germany, Japan and not to mention Korea. The sodium mixtures in some HID bulbs are produced closer to factory specs, as with others (EBAY) the bulbs are produced so cheap that the mixture could be off even if the two bulbs state there a certain kelvin. Thats the prediction I seem to have. Both state 6000k, but the kelvin between the two are clearly off. Thats why I'm wondering if there is some special sodium mixture that the bulb TRS uses in order to make them better. It states that the bulb runs cooler and produces more light. I was thinking it had to do something with the mixture?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jtbigz_ga; 05-29-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM
btg0002
War Eagle!

it possibly could by a mixture problem, I'm sure todd and jeremy will chime in here soon and offer some installer/vendor input, and yeah phillips makes the top of the line HID kits IMO, it just seems like every bulb i have ever ordered that wasn't gonna break my bank were all stamped with a made in china sticker

PERFORMANCE: l jba shortie headers l hypertech max power programmer l Jet 180 tstat l e3 spark plugs l K&N CAI l magnaflow cat back dual exhaust l fastman ported TB l RP engine oil and rear diff fluid l bluetooth ODBII adapter for Torque app l
SUSPENSION: l 3 inch lift spindles l 2 inch coil spacer l bilstein 4600 shocks front l monroe load leveling shocks rear l TGC 1.5" rear lift blocks l 5" total lift front, 2.5" total lift rear l
APPEARANCE: l rhino lined bed l tonnomax tri fold bed cover l bed lined fender flares, rockers, bumpers l big mouth rivet grille l led tail lights l lamin-x tails and 3rd l led everything l HID heads and fogs l HID reverse lights l led reverse flood lights l debadged l hood spears l tinted windows l audio system l black headlights l black billet 15" stubby antenna l daytona tail light covers l
post #5 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
jtbigz_ga

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btg0002 View Post
it possibly could by a mixture problem, I'm sure todd and jeremy will chime in here soon and offer some installer/vendor input, and yeah phillips makes the top of the line HID kits IMO, it just seems like every bulb i have ever ordered that wasn't gonna break my bank were all stamped with a made in china sticker
Ya Philips does make a hell of a kit, with an even bigger price tag and no Jeremy stay out of this. I dont need the kings input. Nah j/k, but really I do wanna find out what's so special about these bulbs to make them that much more.

post #6 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM
btg0002
War Eagle!

if it were me I would give him a ring on tuesday if he doesn't see this post by then. he knew stuff about my application for HIDs I didn't even know I needed to worry about lol

post #7 of 18 Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Retired DT Staff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 0212353 Send a message via MSN to 0212353 Send a message via Yahoo to 0212353
Don't get me wrong, I love working with the fellas at TRS, but 70 bucks just for bulbs.......seems a bit high. And, only 1 year warranty (and only if used with their ballasts). Now, with that said - Matt (TRS) knows his product, and I'm sure these bulbs are designed to work great with the projectors he helped design (MH1s).

Its a tough call man. I am very happy with the kits I run from Todd - and I know he's got the wiring down and his customer service is second to none (even Matt @ TRS - but he's right up there!! - those guys are the BEST guys I have ever dealt with!)

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

/ Need a quote? Email me please -

Fukken Wax Specials:
/ Join our
page!

post #8 of 18 Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
weedahoe
Tricked out Ram

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
When I bought my wifes Mini Cooper it had one bad HID bulb. The dealer (BMW) wanted $200 per bulb. I got on ebay and bought TWO D2S 6k bulbs for $10 shipped on ebay and put them in. That was close to 2 years ago and they are still working fine and look great.

I will never spend any more than 20 on a set of bulbs

2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI
post #9 of 18 Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
retrosolutions

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to retrosolutions Send a message via MSN to retrosolutions
I'd simply recommend trying any other pair of bulbs in general, but not breaking the bank to do so.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Voodoo
Motörhead For Life!

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
OP if you where closer I would let you try the set of H1s i have..

I'll look tomorrow to see if I have an extra set if so you can have them for shipping..
If not there is a seller on Ebay that I have been using, I've got 4 sets from them so far.I'll look them up when i get home.

2012 Ram 1500 TRADESMAN REGULAR CAB 4X2 8' BOX ( TOTALED )

2014 Black Express
Edition 1500 Ram.

"You Can't fix Stupid"

post #11 of 18 Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Voodoo
Motörhead For Life!

Garage
Weed, what's the difference between H1s & H7s ??

2014 Black Express
Edition 1500 Ram.

"You Can't fix Stupid"

post #12 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
retrosolutions

Send a message via AIM to retrosolutions Send a message via MSN to retrosolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Weed, what's the difference between H1s & H7s ??
Fitment, focal length
post #13 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Voodoo
Motörhead For Life!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosolutions View Post
Fitment, focal length
Kool

2014 Black Express
Edition 1500 Ram.

"You Can't fix Stupid"

post #14 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
locogk
locogk

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
retro has some good things on there web site anybody know about a prmo code to knock the price down to cover the shipping

Gary a.k.a loco

Truck and towing member #21

4 th gen truck club # 52

A yankee in rebel land but love the weather

MINE
2016 2500 BIG HORN 4 x 4 crew cab red diesel,bed mat tailgate cover
ram hitch cover, bed mat,step bars,
chrome tailgate handle cover factory brake controller a.r.e. cap, factory tow mirrors dash mat

hers

2015 black chrysler 200
post #15 of 18 Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 PM
locogk
locogk

should of read closer

Gary a.k.a loco

4 th gen truck club # 52

MINE
chrome tailgate handle cover factory brake controller a.r.e. cap, factory tow mirrors dash mat

hers

2015 black chrysler 200
post #16 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 12:20 PM
retrosolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogk View Post
should of read closer
LOL, I was just going to say, if you have signatures turned off in your profile: DODGE is the code to use for all members on the boards here!
post #17 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM
locogk
locogk

thanks it has been a long week

Gary a.k.a loco

4 th gen truck club # 52

MINE

hers

2015 black chrysler 200
post #18 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
retrosolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogk View Post
thanks it has been a long week
Yup, it happens. Hang in there one more day bud!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in