DodgeTalk Forum banner

Installing Transmission Temperature Gauge

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hemibadger 
#1 ·
Hi all, I’m new to the forums. I searched to see if my question had been asked before starting a new thread, but I’ve had no luck so far. I’ve got an 06 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 with the 545RFE. I’m wanting to install a transmission temperature gauge but all the kits and parts I can find are specified for the Cummins so I just wanted to double check something. I know I need to install a T fitting on the tranny oil cooler line from the tranny to the cooler but I can’t find specs on what the outside diameter of the line are. I just want to make sure that the T fitting I’ll be ordering will fit before I pull the line and cut it. I’ve asked the dealer and they have no clue and said they have no way of finding out, so any help or insight that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
When I fitted a gauge to mine (after the original 'box burnt out its clutches!), I used a universal 2" gauge and its own sender that it came with.
I took the sump pan off, drilled a hole in the left side about 1" up from the bottom and welded a nut of the correct thread for the sender to the outside of the pan. I then screwed in the sender with ptfe tape on the thread. Works fine.
I went with the theory that the oil being drawn into the pump is coming from the sump pan, therefore the oil in the pan is probably fairly close in temperature to the internals, maybe 10 or 15 degrees lower. My temp sits at 50 degrees C most of the time, only really getting up to about 80 or 90 after some heavy use at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd gears. I've never seen it go above 100.

#4 ·
How did that work out, any leakage issues?I kinda considered doing that but I’m a lil unsure I want to try that for two reasons. One being that I want to try and get a more accurate reading and two, I’ve heard there can be some issues with getting a proper seal and I don’t want to have to worry about it leaking.

#5 ·
Since my original post, I’ve decided to install a MagHytec deep tranny pan to increase cooling as well. It comes with a test port built into it but I’m still unsure as to whether the reading I get from a test port in the tranny pan will be accurate enough or if I should just go with the process of adding a T fitting in the line going to the cooler so my temp reading is more accurate. Any thoughts?

#6 ·
HemiDrivr, no, no leakage issues. I'm happy seeing the temp of the oil entering the pump (sump temp), as an "overall" temp for the box. What's coming out at the feed to the cooler is probably more indicative of the temp within the clutch packs, which is a more critical temp though, in all honesty.

HemiLonestar, the main reason I fitted a separate gauge and sender is that the thermistor within the solenoid pack that gives the temp signal to the Powertrain ECU is known to be somewhat "wide ranging" (inaccurate!). I have 4 solenoid packs here, the thermistors all indicate differently at the exact same temp. The difference from highest reading to lowest reading is over 20 degrees c, when all are at the exact same room temp!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.