eBay Torsion Keys and New Shocks Installed - Pics - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
eBay Torsion Keys and New Shocks Installed - Pics

I installed the new torsion keys and shocks yesterday. I was gonna post up pics last night but the wife was on eBay and then my boy just HAD to get on CartoonNetwork.com. Fair enough. Anyway, here's a walk through of how it went...

1 - Here's how she sat prior to the leveling:

2 - Fender measurement on drivers side prior to level:

3 - On the stands, wheels removed:

4 - Removing the drivers side shock. I had to position the ratchet against the brace for the upper arm to keep it from turning the whole shock when I was removing the nut for the top shock mount. I was too lazy to just hold it myself:

5 - Old and new shock. Most of the tools in the pic were never used, I just grabbed everything I had and spread them all around me because I didn't know what I was gonna need:

6 - No shock, front suspension mostly unloaded:

7 - Ball joint press applying tension to the key so I can remove the bolt and retainer. Not the best tool for this, but it's usable. I had it slip off more than once while I was tightening it. That and the exhaust got in the way big time on both sides. That torsion bar bolt was rusted TIGHT. Even with no tension on it, it was very difficult to turn.

8 - Soaked it with WD-40 and that helped a LOT:

9 - Bolt and retainer removed.The only shiny part of the bolt was an easy way for me to be able to tell how much to screw it in once the new key was on because I wasn't smart enough to mark it ahead of time:

10 - Old rusted key vs new pretty shiny key. You can see the offset between the two here:

11 - New Key installed:

The instructions that I read somewhere said that you have to simply slide the torsion bar forward and let the old key easily and gracefully fall out. Not quite. I actually had to slide the bar towards the rear of the truck to completely remove it from the lower control arm that it sits in and then aim it toward the middle of the truck and push it forward. Then the old rusty key wigged and squirmed and finally fell off. One of the biggest hassles of the whole experience was that the passenger side bar was stuck in the lower arm and I couldn't pull it free. I wound up having to get a pry bar and apply pressure down on the top of the key where the bolt usually pushes it up from the bottom of the key. Getting on top of it and prying it down eventually jarred it loose and I was able to manipulate the bar and get the old key off.

12 - Drivers side all done and ready for the tire:

13 - Passenger side key being installed:

14 - Passenger side shock installed, pic taken after the wheel was back on cause I was tired and filthy and didn't think to take the pic before hand:

15 - Level in the garage!!!

16 - Level in my driveway (crappy picture taken at night in the rain, sorry)!!!

17 - Level in a bank drive thru!!!

I wound up raising both sides about 3 inches and then took it for a test drive. The first thing I noticed was that it was definitely harder to get in the truck, which is AWESOME! A couple of inches makes a big difference (where have I heard that before??). I drove over a couple of speed bumps at about 25 mph and I could tell the ride was a bit stiffer but the new shocks seem to keep things in order pretty well. By the time I got back, it had settled down to a 2 to 2.5 inch lift. Right now both front sides measure about 39.75 inches where they were 37 on the drivers side and 37.5 on the passenger side beforehand. I tested it in 4wd and there was no shudder or vibration, and the CV angles don't look too bad. Now I need an alignment, bad, I can tell the wheel slants at an angle now, so hopefully I can get that scheduled by Wednesday or something.

Hope you enjoy the pics and if you have any questions, lemme know. I know this was not a complicated install, but it's the most aggressive thing I've undertaken yet. I'm VERY glad I wound up doing this myself rather than paying a shop to do it. I'll try to get some more outside pics once it stops raining here in northern IL. That might not be for a while, the way things are looking lately.

Thanks for looking.

Previous Truck: Purple 99 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x2
Current Truck: Silver 2005 Ram 1500 QC SLT Hemi 4x4 SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FORMER ~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #22 ~
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 AM
ramit58
dodge this

Every nice did you lift the back up any or just leveled it out in the front. Good job looks very good

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Larimane
NITTO DUNE GRAPPLER 35x10.50x17
Air Intake
Short Antenna
Hella's Behind the Grille Club - Member #20
4WD Club - Member #12
Truck and Gun Club #72
Military Truck Club #71
Central Florida Chapter Member #16

post #3 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
ramdonkey

Nice job- truck looks better up there. Maybe I missed them, but did you install shock boots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I didn't do anything with the back as it sits around 40 to 40.5 inches, so the whole thing is pretty level at this point. And no, I don't have any shock boots, at least not yet.

post #5 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 PM
tctwg

Send a message via Yahoo to tctwg
Looks a lot better. Are you going to get bigger tires, or just keep those till the belts start showing?

Military Truck Club Member #6
Dodgetalk.com 345 Enthusiast Member #41
Black Truck Club Member #131

"Off-Road" Package Club #35
HID Club Member #30
Twiggy HID Club Member #1

D2S Infiniti Bi-Xenon Projectors 6000k
D2S Projector Fog Lights 6000k
H3 KC Lights 6000k

SINGLE BEAM, DUAL BEAM, BI-XENON, BI-XENON4

post #6 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

(Thread Starter)
I'm saving up for new wheels and tires, but I won't be able to afford any until after the winter. I'm looking at these, the Dale Earnhardt Jr Cannon. I think they would look pretty mean on a silver truck with some aggressive tires on them.

Offset: -06mm
Backspacing: 4.48"
Bolt Pattern: 5-139

post #7 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 02:23 PM
NJHemiGirl

Send a message via AIM to NJHemiGirl
Those wheels are gorgeous! Of course we will need pics of that, too when it's time.

Gail
NJHemiGirl
post #8 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
buzzard111

sweet,..nice job. since you didnt mention it, i assume those shocks were a direct bolt-on? and didnt need a different sleeve or bushing? could you please post the part number of the shocks? thanks.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

(Thread Starter)
Yes, the shocks were direct bolt on, no additional parts other than those supplied with the shock itself were needed. They were pretty easy to install, not too much to it. I ordered them at Performance Products 4 Trucks and the part number is as follows:

Pro Comp ES3000 and ES9000 Shocks
Part # 149152

I ordered the 9000's, they are 2nd from the bottom on this page

post #10 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 PM
hemi_pwr
Got'R Did

looks good leveled out. The wheels are going to look pretty [email protected]$$ when get them.

Todd
2006 RAM QC 2" TGC Level, 325/60/18 Nitto T-Graps on 18x9 KMC XD Spys, Flowmaster 50HD SISO, Line-X, KC Daylighters behind he grille, Line of Fire, SC tuner = MDS Disabled, Airaid MIT Intake, TB spacer, and k&n filter, Pioneer head unit w/ bluetooth and ipod control, Alpine 10" sub, Diamond D400 amp, Mopar tow mirrors

Silver Truck Club Member #82
Military Truck Club Member #3
post #11 of 30 Old 09-14-2008, 09:53 PM
KB112

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to KB112
Came out good man. A different stance can make you feel like you got a new truck.

2004 5.7L Quad Cab
1/8: [email protected] --- 1/4: [email protected]
Exterior: Blacked Out 06-20"s, 295/50-20 Falkens, 2/4 Drop - Hotchkis coils/DJM Flip, Sport Conversion, Mopar Air Dam, Good Hood, ARE Cover, Rollpan, Mopar fuel door, LED 3rd Brakelight, Black Headlights, HID Fogs, Powdercoated Black SS Grille, Homebrew Powdercoated bumper grill with smoked turn signals
Interior: Infinity pkg, Slammed1 Bezel, BedRug, SRT Pillar
Performance: Hotchkis F/R SwayBars, Bilsteins, MIT tube, AEM Wideband, Comp 260, 6.1L Pushrods, 6.1L Exhaust Springs, QTP Cutout, Super Chips, NGK 4306s, Taylor Wires, TransGo Shift Kit, AT3030, CalTracs.
Awaiting Install:Thorley Mid's

post #12 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 PM
cdhd2001

When did Dodge switch from torsion to the spring/shock combo? My 2008 4x4 1500 doesn't have torsion bars?

2008 Dodge 2500 QC SB 4x4 SLT Lonestar 6.7L Auto 3.73
2008 Dodge 1500 QC SB 4x4 SLT Lonestar Hemi Auto 3.92
post #13 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

(Thread Starter)
The torsion bars, which were only on the 4x4's, went away starting with the 2006 model year. Dodge used coil springs after that.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It really does seem like a new truck now. It looks better and I can really tell a difference in height when I'm driving. I'm digging it quite a bit and I'm very glad I did it.

post #14 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
cdhd2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum5.9 View Post
The torsion bars, which were only on the 4x4's, went away starting with the 2006 model year. Dodge used coil springs after that.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It really does seem like a new truck now. It looks better and I can really tell a difference in height when I'm driving. I'm digging it quite a bit and I'm very glad I did it.
Oh yeah, cool truck. Mine would look great leveled also.

2008 Dodge 2500 QC SB 4x4 SLT Lonestar 6.7L Auto 3.73
2008 Dodge 1500 QC SB 4x4 SLT Lonestar Hemi Auto 3.92
post #15 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
keith43

Looks good man!! Nice job!!:tup

'02 1500 QC/SB 4X4 BLACK TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #79
post #16 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Shots
Don't fear the sheepdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
That looks MUCH better. Great job, and nice write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhd2001 View Post
When did Dodge switch from torsion to the spring/shock combo? My 2008 4x4 1500 doesn't have torsion bars?
If you want to level your truck it can still be done. here is a thread I made about my kit.

Shots:
2014 CC Sport 4x4

Mods:
Level / Zone lift / Tint 50 fronts 10 backs / Custom BedRug / Extang Solid Fold / Partial Debadge / Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 315-70-17 on Classic III rims / PSI Autorestyling flares / Pacer cab lights

If only you could understand what it's like to go home to your family, greeted with smiles and kisses like any other day, and not have the heart to tell them you almost didn't make it home. Respect those who protect and serve.
The unwanted, being underpaid, who will go unappreciated, doing the unthinkable, for the ungrateful.
post #17 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith43 View Post
Looks good man!! Nice job!!:tup
Thanks keith43, your truck is an absolute BEAST with that 10" of lift, and I think it looks phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
That looks MUCH better. Great job, and nice write up.
Thank you Shots, it's my first write up and I was just trying to make sure I showed the basics.

After driving it to work and back today (~ 60 miles or so) it has settled down even further. Both sides are at about 39.25 inches (floor to fender), which seems like a pretty safe lift amount considering CV angles and such. I have an appointment on Wednesday morning for an alignment and I'm debating whether to crank it up just a little bit more before that. With the back at 40", I'll probably just leave it as-is.

post #18 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
buzzard111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum5.9 View Post
it has settled down even further. Both sides are at about 39.25 inches (floor to fender), which seems like a pretty safe lift amount considering CV angles and such. I have an appointment on Wednesday morning for an alignment and I'm debating whether to crank it up just a little bit more before that. With the back at 40", I'll probably just leave it as-is.
nice truck, really good write up. and thanks for posting the shock numbers. i also noticed a bit of sag after i first did my 8 turns. after driving it for a while i cranked it up one more turn.

i just love the look of it now. i think it looks more intimadating
post #19 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 PM
NevadaRam

Thumbs up

Nice! Excellent write up. I did the same to mine last month with ebay keys. I didn't take the time to stop and take pictures. I had mine sitting at around 42" but didn't like the front higher than the back. After an alignment I am sitting at 40.5" in the front and close to 41" in the back.

2004 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Off Road
4.7l Auto
Leveling keys
Pro Comp 9000s
285/70 17 Goodyear Silent Armors
Dynomax ultraflow welded exhaust 3" single exhaust

Gone but still missed
2005 1500 Regular Cab Short Box 2wd hemi
Air Ram Jetstream
K+N drop in
Flowmaster 50HD dumped
Daystar 2 1/2" spacers
ProComp 9000 shocks
285/70 17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade
post #20 of 30 Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 PM
bmgamble
Hibernating

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Much much better I hope to get my keys installed this week. Great write-up with great pics!

-Bryan
2005 Black Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 QC 4x4 ∞ BTC
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in